Pastrami Challenge

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So, I picked up another SRF corned beef round rump cap. I'm making this one into pastrami today.
Trimmed the fat and silverskin. I made the pastrami rub per https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...-home-made-pastrami-thats-close-katzs-recipe/

It went on the 700 at 225F. I hope it's done for dinner.
20220302_121850.jpg
20220302_123007.jpg
20220302_123530.jpg

Waiting anxiously to see the result since I have several of the SRF corned beef rounds in the freezer. I haven’t—yet—ventured into the Pastrami-making arena, but I do love to eat it. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
It's been on for 2 1/2 hrs. I'm getting hungry. I decided to step it up to 275F for the remainder of the cook. That should get the bark going a bit faster, then I can wrap to finish. That foil pack is the rib from the cowboy ribeye I fixed a few days ago.
20220302_150021.jpg

I started a 4lb corned beef at noon and I’m currently still waiting for it to be done.
Started it at 275 until i hit 165 where it stalled for almost an hour and bumped it to 300 and now currently at 190 lol
Luckily this wasn’t planned for a family dinner and just as a trial just to see how it turns out.

I decided to finish the wrapped pastrami in the oven at 350. After all, this isn't KCBS, and I'm not Myron Mixon

That old rib bone from the cowboy ribeye had a lot of meat on it. I smoked it a couple hours, then wrapped it for a couple hours. I shared it with my wife. It was like bbq osso buco. Here's a pic half gone already.
20220302_175807.jpg

The SRF Wagyu corned beef made an excellent pastrami. It was smokey and tender, spicy and beefy.

The only negative comment I had was that it was a bit salty for my tastes. I took the corned beef right out of the package and added the Amazing Ribs pastrami rub, which has no salt. I thought about adding salt, but restrained myself. My wife said it was fine. Usually, I like salty foods more than her. So, I'm not sure what to think about that. But, when I cook the other SRF Wagyu corned beef for St Patty's day, I'm going to soak it for a couple hours to desalinate it some.

The SRF Wagyu corned beef made an excellent pastrami. It was smokey and tender, spicy and beefy.

The only negative comment I had was that it was a bit salty for my tastes. I took the corned beef right out of the package and added the Amazing Ribs pastrami rub, which has no salt. I thought about adding salt, but restrained myself. My wife said it was fine. Usually, I like salty foods more than her. So, I'm not sure what to think about that. But, when I cook the other SRF Wagyu corned beef for St Patty's day, I'm going to soak it for a couple hours to desalinate it some.
I soaked mine for about 12hrs overnight. Changed the water twice and it was still a little on the salty side. Next time i make it Im going to give it a longer soak and change water every 2-3hrs

I soaked mine for about 12hrs overnight. Changed the water twice and it was still a little on the salty side. Next time i make it Im going to give it a longer soak and change water every 2-3hrs
Was yours a Snake River Farms Wagyu corned beef? I know some corned beef can be salty, but I have not experienced that with the SRF corned beef I’ve had, though I did not make them into pastrami. Just curious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back