Bull Cold weather feed rates.

Bullnutz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Matador
Hey everyone. This is my first post. I just received my bull this week, after ordering it on black friday! It's a phenomenal grill. Burn in and first cook went perfectly. Wifi set up was a breeze. However; today in wisconsin we're in the midst of a snow storm with 40-50 mph winds. My bull is under our deck mostly protected from the wind. My first cook on Thursday it was 55° out. The factory feed rate is set at 3, and I'm concerned it may not be enough for a cold weather smoke/grill? I plan on doing chicken thighs tonight for dinner. Can anyone recommend a good feed rate for tonight? Or will 3 be good? I'm also using lumberjack hickory blend pellets. They're super cheap by me and some of the best made from my understanding. Thanks everyone. And sorry for the long post!

Welcome aboard. That setting is the *minimum* feed rate. The grill will increase as needed in cold weather. That setting exists in case of issues keeping the temp low in hot weather. It has nothing to do with getting the grill to run hotter.

Resist the urge to tinker. It will be fine.

Welcome aboard. That setting is the *minimum* feed rate. The grill will increase as needed in cold weather. That setting exists in case of issues keeping the temp low in hot weather. It has nothing to do with getting the grill to run hotter.

Resist the urge to tinker. It will be fine.
Thank you for the reply, I'm still learning all the technical elements of the grill. And I'm glad I've come here.

I've done a couple cold weather (20's) overnight cooks so far this season, my 3 setting worked just fine. Wind in the 30's didn't do much, although one cook @ 225 took longer, whether it was the cold wind or just the cut of ribs is anyones guess.

I'm in WI as well.. 3.0 feed rate worked great all summer, but started getting the occasional flame out at startup, and really slow to come to temp as the weather gets below 35-40. Bumped the feed rate up to 6.5 today and fired right up and got to temp faster.

I ended up adjusting my feed rate to 4.5 I kept getting heat issues at lower temps. The grill would suddenly drop 30-50° and then heat back up on occasion, I think I have it adjusted to the right rate now. But we will see. I've put my first 40 lb bag through it as of last night I'm out. Other than the issues I've had with the app not giving me my notifications on time and almost ruining my Christmas prime rib. I'm super happy with the grill. I hope recteq figures out the issues with their servers so things work properly. It's been long enough of having these issues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigfishri
Back