Competition Blend for everything?

PSU-85

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I burned through 40# of Lumber Jack Competition Blend since I got my 700 a week and half ago. I’m going to need to get more pellets soon and was wondering if most of you stick to one style pellet or switch it up based on what you have in the smoker. When I smoked on the MES I always had apple, cherry, hickory and mesquite on hand. For ease and simplicity do you use a blend for everything or scoop out the bin and use a specific variety based on what’s in the smoker. I guess if you’re switching it makes sense to only partially fill the bin and then add more as needed while cooking.

I use the separate 100% all wood pellets . You had a good list. I think they flavor better than the competition blends...

For now, I'm using the RecTec pellet blend, red oak, white, oak and hickory. I'm happy with them, but am going to try some Cookin Pellets and LJ. Would like to try straight hickory, and maybe a straight apple and maybe one more. Not to sure I'll tell the difference, Cookin Pellets are a pretty good price buying 7-40 lb bags, whatever 7 you want for $231 including shipping. And it's not delivered on a pallet. Individual boxes delivered to your door.

@cutplug yes, I’ve burned a couple bags of that stuff... I couldn’t ascertain any difference from those bags to the comp. blend... guess that’s why I don’t smoke competitively as my tastebuds can’t pickup the subtleties in smoke produced by different woods... ?

@PSU-85 I came from a MES as well. I use straight comp blend for everything. However something I have tried doing is taking my wood chips from the MES and placing a handful or two right on top of the diffuser plate (under the drip tray). It seems to add smoke versus straight pellets.. or it could be just a placebo effect.... ?‍♂️

Thanks for the reply.
Did the pellets look like wood or charcoal? Much dust?
I guess I could just buy a bag for all the questions...
I agree with you on tastebuds, is it us or is it them!!??

Thanks for the reply.
Did the pellets look like wood or charcoal? Much dust?
I guess I could just buy a bag for all the questions...
I agree with you on tastebuds, is it us or is it them!!??

they looked like rat turds... black but oblong like a typical pellet.

I loved the smell of the black cherry cooking pellets I burned, but again tastebuds reported no flavor changes versus a comp blend smoke... ?‍♂️

I like the Cookin Pellets Perfect Mix. I have also used their Hickory and honestly I can’t taste much difference myself...the only pellets I have found I can definitely taste a difference with are mesquite and Cherry. Other than those two the rest all taste pretty similar to me, blend or not.

For now, I'm using the RecTec pellet blend, red oak, white, oak and hickory. I'm happy with them, but am going to try some Cookin Pellets and LJ. Would like to try straight hickory, and maybe a straight apple and maybe one more. Not to sure I'll tell the difference, Cookin Pellets are a pretty good price buying 7-40 lb bags, whatever 7 you want for $231 including shipping. And it's not delivered on a pallet. Individual boxes delivered to your door.
Is that through Cookin Pellets or another supplier?

That does sound like a good deal.....having your pellets delivered to your door instead of a dropped shipped skid is a big plus. I'm pretty happy with Rec Tec's comp. blend so far. But it may be handy to have the ability to have wood specific pellets as well as blends.

Since using up my RT blend, I have used the LJ blend and cooking pellets apple. I liked the LJ blend, though was hard to discern any difference from the RT blend and they both seemed to burn similarly. I'm using cooking pellets apple now and there is a subtle difference with these. These seem a little on the aromatic side which is nice. I think the difference is more noticeable in my backyard with the smoke that's generated. Outside of the smoker the apple smells different from the other blends. I want to try straight hickory next.

I use specific pellets for what I’m cooking. I use LJ apple for pork. LJ apple or cherry for pork belly and bacon and LJ hickory or mesquite for beef. As for chicken it’s mostly apple

I have and they were good. I used the blend from lumberjack. I my opinion, the flavor differences between the pellets in slight. Some can taste it as huge but they are the same people who review cigars and taste hints of oak and shellac with an overlay of sage and a strong steel and raisin finish. Crazy! I think the flavor differences with stick burners is bigger. Mesquite always had to be tempered with other wood. That had an overpowering flavor. To each his own. ??

I really like cookingpellets.com perfect mix as my go to pellet. As a matter of fact just picked up three more bags this week from a supplier I found here in NJ. He is about an hour away from where I live, but the price ($23) per 40# bag can't be beat. Not too many suppliers of pellets other than PitBoss at Loews and Treager at HD here in NJ, so glad I found the place. He carries the whole lines of cookingpellets.com and Lumberjack as well.

I've used various different flavors from RecTec and Lumberjack. Personally I've been very happy with the RecTec and Lumberjack comp blends.

They taste great and it's just one item for me to keep on hand. I'm not a super serious smoking guy doing it for prizes or competitions. Just a guy feeding his family and sometimes friends.

It's also much simpler. I don't have to worry about trying to put just enough of a certain flavor in the hopper as there isn't a super easy way to empty it (unless you burn them or shop vac them). So I simply fill up the hopper with either comp blend and don't have to worry about it for a good long while.

I like the blends, it makes it a little easier, especially with a 40lb hopper. I have used blends and some apple and hickory, but I usually just use the comp blend or add something to the existing blend that is in the hopper.

You can go to the cookingpellets.com site and search for a dealer. You might get lucky and find one close to you. I was lucky and found one in NJ. Half the price of buying them on line and shipped regardless if it is shipped by cookingpellets themselves or Amazon.

Foe some reason the places that carry Lumber Jack and Cookin Pellets are not considered essential businesses in Pennsylvania. Thanks for the tip. I can get Traeger and Pit Boss locally but its not what I wanted. My hopper will be dry by the end of the weekend so I placed an order for 7 bags of Cookin Pellets this afternoon. Hopefully they don’t take long to get here or Ill be cooking on the stove for a few days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back