Cookin' Pellets news

Nah, adds a bit more flavor is all.
The juiciest chicken to date.
That being said I did a low temp start per some site recommendations.
200 for 25 mins then 350 until 165 internal.
(About 1:15-1:30)
Seasoned with Chef John’s Soul Powder.
I can’t get enough of this rub!

4A48F9DF-BA10-41B3-BA64-11BF78DC55B2.jpeg

4D97FCCF-B393-4FDC-A33F-654E056E9F47.jpeg

Last edited:
I do big full size bone in and skin on chicken breasts quite often, honestly probably my favorite and most consistent protein I cook on the grill.

Would appreciate your cooking details. Especially how you got skin crispy. Thanks
Canola cooking spray, Chef Johns soul powder applied liberally. 180 degrees about 30 minutes. Raised to 350 until 165 internal. About 1:15-1:30.

By crispy, as opposed to soft, moderate crispy most areas. wings more so.

Canola cooking spray, Chef Johns soul powder applied liberally. 180 degrees about 30 minutes. Raised to 350 until 165 internal. About 1:15-1:30.

By crispy, as opposed to soft, moderate crispy most areas. wings more so.
Thanks for sharing.

Amazon builds the cost of shipping into their pricing. Prime members don't pay for shipping twice. Any bulky items, such as pellets will always be pricy on Amazon.

I have used Cooking Pellets for several years and very happy with them. I have run them through Traeger, Louisiana Grills, and RecTeq pellet grills with no issues. You will find there is very little "dust" in the bags if the bags have not been banged around a lot.

The "Perfect Mix" is a good blend for poultry, pork, and fish. I like the 100% Hickory for red meats.

Check this site: https://cookinpellets.com/dealers/ to locate a dealer near you. I am lucky to have one about six miles away. I forget what the pricing is but is very reasonable for a 100% flavor wood product.
Darn! Nothing within a half hour of Cleveland OH. Nearest is over an hour away : (

Maybe it's just me but I find less powder and dust/smashed pellets in 20lb bags vs 40 lbs. I am a fan of cooking pellets hickory, for sure.

Maybe it's just me but I find less powder and dust/smashed pellets in 20lb bags vs 40 lbs. I am a fan of cooking pellets hickory, for sure.
Probably the supply source?
My 40# is ultra clean for powder.
Troeger always had lots of powder.

On CookinPellets local vs Amazon pricing.

I just checked my local vendor and they just raised pricing for the first time. With the new pricing Amazon Prime pricing is not far off from local. Amazon only sells CookinPellets in two bag orders. The Amazon pricing is $2.00/bag more for "Perfect Mix" and $1.00/bag for "100% Hickory". You can one of of each kind as well.

I probably will still buy from my local guy since I like patronizing local companies.

I just purchased a single bag of hickory from Amazon. (Free tail is the vendor)
$38.99

We’ll, here we go.

After the initial bag or two the aroma has changed in my opinion.
I’ve now used 5 bags of the Cookin pellets PM.
The smoke off the grill once smelled beautiful.
So, it seems pellet flavor or aroma varies from bag to bag.
Does this seem common ?
Just accept it and move on ?

Nah- just not a beautiful clean wood smell if you know what I mean. …just smoke, not bad , not good.

But different smell bag to bag? Would tell me the wood used is different bag to bag?

Not that I know anything but I imagine they use whatever species of the stated trees they can get, how many different types of hickory are there, how about cherry? How about sapwood vs heart wood? They may have more than 1 plant getting wood from different sources.

Not that I know anything but I imagine they use whatever species of the stated trees they can get, how many different types of hickory are there, how about cherry? How about sapwood vs heart wood? They may have more than 1 plant getting wood from different sources.
@padlin00
Agreed.

Coming from the Craft Brewing industry, we have the same issue with hop varieties.
Weather, location etc. Mother Nature…

Perhaps that’s why some wood pellet manufacturers use /used flavoring oils, chasing consistency.

Having said that , I wood (would) think blends would be a more consistent product than single varieties.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back