Cooking With Charcoal / Without Electricity?

wsamon

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Could a Rec Tec (an old 700 specifically) handle doing a cook with charcoal? I'm not talking about using any of the pellet grill features, just literally dumping some charcoal in the bottom and lighting it. Would this cause any issues or damage the grill in any way? Do you think it would produce a decent cook?

I wouldn't ever want to use it this way, but I live in hurricane country and was thinking about having a backup cooking source if we lose power for a while. I do have a propane grill, but its bottom is rusting out and I don't know how long it's going to remain usable and safe. I'd be interested in any suggestions regarding manually cooking with pellets too.

Could a Rec Tec (an old 700 specifically) handle doing a cook with charcoal? I'm not talking about using any of the pellet grill features, just literally dumping some charcoal in the bottom and lighting it. Would this cause any issues or damage the grill in any way? Do you think it would produce a decent cook?

I wouldn't ever want to use it this way, but I live in hurricane country and was thinking about having a backup cooking source if we lose power for a while. I do have a propane grill, but its bottom is rusting out and I don't know how long it's going to remain usable and safe. I'd be interested in any suggestions regarding manually cooking with pellets too.
I’m guessing that the fire pot’s structure keeps the intense heat and the deflector spreads it around. I would think the charcoal would be too hot for the bottom of the bull. Weber kettles like the Smokey Joes are pretty reasonable and are made for the heat of charcoal. Small and easy to store and good for emergency backup. Just guessing.

My feeble mind would question how I would get an [adjustable] air intake where your charcoal fuel would be loaded. But I could be thinking wrong. For other risks I cannot speak. I've placed a few chunks of charcoal on top of my flame deflector during use but that's not what you're asking, I recognize.

I would not know how to utilize an RT-680 or RT-700 to manually cook with pellets without power.

I would suggest a generator. If power is out for a day or so, your refrigerator will be in an unpleasant situation as much as your cooking capabilities. Freezer after about third day will be issues also.

I would suggest a generator. If power is out for a day or so, your refrigerator will be in an unpleasant situation as much as your cooking capabilities. Freezer after about third day will be issues also.
A one time expense but worthwhile.

It may melt the fan at the bottom of the grill. The others suggested you get a cheap backup for charcoal grilling purposes. Weber is not a bad choice. And there are many other cheaper options.

I wouldn't do it, that's for sure.

And glad we have a generator. Used it more than should be needed in recent years. Our house can be warm and lit up like Times Square as long as there's fuel.

A weber kettle or clone from HomeD is your salvation. If that's not in your budget, a stack of bricks over some dirt, wide enough to support the ends of one of your 700's grates, should work like an open pit and not burn up a good pellet grill.

I'm not sure if there will be enough oxygen flow to keep charcoal burning.

I have a dyna glo that I picked up for 100 bucks. It compliments the bull quite nicely.

Attachments

• 71xpm0-+lyL._AC_SY450_.jpg
    71xpm0-+lyL._AC_SY450_.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 82
I would recommend a generator as well, if for nothing else than to keep the refrigerator and freezer going.

I have a Honda EU-3000is that I use to power a good deal of my house in the event the power is out.

It might be overkill for your use, but a smaller unit would work just as well.

First off, thanks everyone. I totally forgot about this thread after I created it! I'll avoid using the Rec Tec for anything other than normal operation. I'll probably end up getting a Smokey Joe or equivalent for backup purposes. I want something that's easy to put in and out of storage since it will almost never be used. I may also look into a homemade rocket-stove that I can just setup on our patio for these situations (as much because I'm interested in making it and seeing how it works as anything else).

We want a generator and it's in our plans, but not our budget. Hopefully if we get some stuff paid down we can work it in reasonably. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until my wife can go back to work in a couple years. I'll have to add everything up, but I don't think 3kw would be enough for us. If we get a generator, we'll want it to power our 2 refrigerators, chest freezer, modem/router, work laptop, a couple fans, phone chargers, and preferably at least one tv and hot water heater as well.

The last time we were without power for a couple days we managed to save the food by throwing a bunch of ice on it and opening doors as little as possible. I don't think that would have worked for a week, but for 2-3 days it was ok.

First off, thanks everyone. I totally forgot about this thread after I created it! I'll avoid using the Rec Tec for anything other than normal operation. I'll probably end up getting a Smokey Joe or equivalent for backup purposes. I want something that's easy to put in and out of storage since it will almost never be used. I may also look into a homemade rocket-stove that I can just setup on our patio for these situations (as much because I'm interested in making it and seeing how it works as anything else).

We want a generator and it's in our plans, but not our budget. Hopefully if we get some stuff paid down we can work it in reasonably. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until my wife can go back to work in a couple years. I'll have to add everything up, but I don't think 3kw would be enough for us. If we get a generator, we'll want it to power our 2 refrigerators, chest freezer, modem/router, work laptop, a couple fans, phone chargers, and preferably at least one tv and hot water heater as well.

The last time we were without power for a couple days we managed to save the food by throwing a bunch of ice on it and opening doors as little as possible. I don't think that would have worked for a week, but for 2-3 days it was ok.
Good luck. The generator is a big expense. The last time we were without power my wife and I just sat and talked about things. Then I went out and bought a generator. ??

Good luck. The generator is a big expense. The last time we were without power my wife and I just sat and talked about things. Then I went out and bought a generator. ??
Your going to want to get a bigger generator than

A 3 KW isn't going to do what you want.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back