Corned Beef Challenge

Was at my local Costco today and there wasn’t a corned beef in sight; SRF Waguyu or otherwise. I asked the guy restocking the meat case and he said he didn’t expect any in for a while. His take was that corned beef is a seasonal item around St. Patrick’s Day. Guess I’ll need to bite the bullet and start making my own after the four SRFs in the freezer are gone.

Yeah, I went by Costco last week and none, but then Publix had quite a few, so I bought one to freeze!!! I am curious how my $17 Publix corned beef will compare to the SNF corned beef, keep you updated!

I have 3 SRFs in the freezer. It made some great CB&C. My wife used 2 bottles of Guinness Stout for the braising. It also made some great sliced CB on rye sandwiches.

First attempt at pastrami on the Bull from a few points a couple years back. Made some great sandwiches from the slices and the other one was diced up for hash with potatoes, onions, and rutabaga.
20190901_183157.jpg

Update...sorry no pictures this time so you can choose to believe me or not.

I did an 18+ pound Prime packer from Wild Fork. I separated the point and the flat this time, but brined/corned both pieces at the same time for 7 days. The flat was vacuum packed and tossed in the freezer after a week. I soaked the point in clean water for about 10 hours (scheduling issues) and cooked at 250 for about 13.5 hours and wrapped in pink paper after the stall. I took it to around 201 when the instant read probe shot through the meat (almost too easily).

Take aways from this cook are:
  1. I continue to be happy price/quality of Wild Fork products, but so help me some day I'm going to cook a Wagyu brisket.
  2. The amazingribs recipe is rock solid, but I DO put some pickling spices and garlic in my brine as stated as "if you have to" in their instructions.
  3. No one complained (except me), but 10 hours of desalination was not enough. I think I will go back to closer to 24 hours...or at least 12 to 16 hours. I don't bother changing the water as I put the meat in a 5 gallon bucket with over 3 gallons of clean, filtered water.
  4. I feel like I went a little too long on my cook, as the point was well rendered, but borderline falling apart.
  5. After hearing successes with other cuts besides brisket, I am now very eager to try other pieces.
  6. So help me, I'm buying a meat slicer!

Update...sorry no pictures this time so you can choose to believe me or not.

I did an 18+ pound Prime packer from Wild Fork. I separated the point and the flat this time, but brined/corned both pieces at the same time for 7 days. The flat was vacuum packed and tossed in the freezer after a week. I soaked the point in clean water for about 10 hours (scheduling issues) and cooked at 250 for about 13.5 hours and wrapped in pink paper after the stall. I took it to around 201 when the instant read probe shot through the meat (almost too easily).

Take aways from this cook are:
  1. I continue to be happy price/quality of Wild Fork products, but so help me some day I'm going to cook a Wagyu brisket.
  2. The amazingribs recipe is rock solid, but I DO put some pickling spices and garlic in my brine as stated as "if you have to" in their instructions.
  3. No one complained (except me), but 10 hours of desalination was not enough. I think I will go back to closer to 24 hours...or at least 12 to 16 hours. I don't bother changing the water as I put the meat in a 5 gallon bucket with over 3 gallons of clean, filtered water.
  4. I feel like I went a little too long on my cook, as the point was well rendered, but borderline falling apart.
  5. After hearing successes with other cuts besides brisket, I am now very eager to try other pieces.
  6. So help me, I'm buying a meat slicer!
Thanks for the detailed update. I'm going to get a Costco brisket and separate the point from the flat. I'll freeze the point and brine the flat for pastrami. I just did a corned beef using the same recipe as you, and it was spectacular. I did desalinate over-night and changed the water twice before going to bed. Next day pulled around 10:00 AM and we were off to the races.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back