Costco Pellets

Been using them for awhile now. No problems but do find they give a heavier smoke flavor to my meats.

I’ve been using them since they hit the Costco shelves over a year ago. I’ve gone through about 160lbs of them. They are very reasonably priced and haven’t caused any problems. They have a mild smoke profile and the fruit wood blends don‘t seem detectable in pork or beef making them a little more versatile than a true fruit blend. As stated above by SmokeOCD, you can mix them with your favorite blends. If you really want to pump things up, mix 50-50 or better with Mesquite and really bring the flavor home. One last thing, they hold temps well in the Bull and don’t give off any harshness or bitterness. For those that think they will cause bridging, so far not in my unit but don’t forget, our augers (old and new) are the rock crushers of pellet grills.
I’m saving time by not writing everything Smokezilla said. Ditto to all that.

I’ve been using them since they hit the Costco shelves over a year ago. I’ve gone through about 160lbs of them. They are very reasonably priced and haven’t caused any problems. They have a mild smoke profile and the fruit wood blends don‘t seem detectable in pork or beef making them a little more versatile than a true fruit blend. As stated above by SmokeOCD, you can mix them with your favorite blends. If you really want to pump things up, mix 50-50 or better with Mesquite and really bring the flavor home. One last thing, they hold temps well in the Bull and don’t give off any harshness or bitterness. For those that think they will cause bridging, so far not in my unit but don’t forget, our augers (old and new) are the rock crushers of pellet grills.
Agree, But I really still like the Lumber Jack competition pellets... Overall better flavor...

I've used them and had good results. My wife complained that whatever I cooked had too much smoke flavor so I've switched up to different ones lately.

I've always been surprised how many pellet grill folks on reddit and elsewhere often complain about not enough smoke flavor.

Different "smoke" for different folks 😁
Interesting observation of yours that I share…people wanting a lot more smoke. I like a good smoke ring as much as anyone but I don’t want to be burping that smoke the next day. Nokia, I want to taste the meat with a kiss of smoke. So I’m happy cooking at 225 degrees (sometimes 250). Again, everyone has their preferences. I’m in line with your tastes on that.

As for the Kirkland pellets, it’s hard to beat that price point. I didn’t find the smoke from it to be pronounced or forward in any way. Maybe it’s their use of 4 or more different flavor woods in their blend.

See my earlier post today about “Pellets”. I did some unofficial research and shared my results…as well as a video of some other blind testing.

Can't say about Costco pellets, but Iknow Sams club pellets tend to leave a lot of ash as compared to Bear Mountain or other bigger name pellets. Ilike to vaccum out the fire chamber after every 3 -4 burns.

I don't see anymore ash compared to Traeger or Lumberjack pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back