Costco Pork Butt Rant.

The local Costco just recently started checking the ID pictures at the door for just this reason. They are also testing scanners at the entry somewhere near their headquarters, in an effort to stop non member entry so I guess it’s a bigger problem then I would have thought.

It's not space mountain - it's a pork shoulder for the family. I have the black card. It wouldn't cost you more time or costco any more revenue if I could clean my grills while the kid grabs something to toss on the grill. We as a family wouldn't buy any more groceries by sharing the card in the household, but we definitely may buy less.

It's not space mountain - it's a pork shoulder for the family. I have the black card. It wouldn't cost you more time or costco any more revenue if I could clean my grills while the kid grabs something to toss on the grill. We as a family wouldn't buy any more groceries by sharing the card in the household, but we definitely may buy less.
But, you are the exception. Sadly, there are a significant number of people abusing the membership benefits.

Here’s a better explanation than I could provide:

https://www.realsimple.com/costco-cracking-down-on-membership-sharing-7557703#

But, you are the exception. Sadly, there are a significant number of people abusing the membership benefits.

Here’s a better explanation than I could provide:

https://www.realsimple.com/costco-cracking-down-on-membership-sharing-7557703#
Yes, our local Costco is pulling out the self-checkout lanes because all the frauds need is a card, not an actual verification of the photo ID. Which doesn’t make me happy as often I just want to run in and pickup 1-2 protein items, but then I need to wait in line behind the folks spending 2-3 hundred dollars. I wish they had switched the photo verification to when everyone entered the store. They want to see a card when entering, but that’s the extent of it.

Yes, our local Costco is pulling out the self-checkout lanes because all the frauds need is a card, not an actual verification of the photo ID. Which doesn’t make me happy as often I just want to run in and pickup 1-2 protein items, but then I need to wait in line behind the folks spending 2-3 hundred dollars. I wish they had switched the photo verification to when everyone entered the store. They want to see a card when entering, but that’s the extent of it.
No, that's all changing. Funny enough I added my rant about 15minutes before the story hit my computer.

"A few Costco locations are scanning Costco membership cards at the entrance. This test is to match members to their cards at the door prior to shopping for an improved member experience," a Costco spokesperson said in a statement to CBS MoneyWatch.

Over the summer, Costco started asking shoppers to present photo identification along with their physical membership cards at self-checkout registers, like they're asked to do in regular checkout lanes administered by workers.

I have no issues with Costco, membership cards etc. Just stinky pork. So the lions share of Pork comes from other stores with the exception of the Costco branded STL ribs. Beef is mainly Costco however we have a very old “market” that has fantastic butchers and proteins and I can call ahead (required) for Tri-Tip and it always pleases.

I cook a lot of the Costco Boneless (a lot is relative I guess). It will make good pulled pork if I truss it. I do use it flat if I am making carnitas or something Cuban. Except for the Cuban pork or Carnitas,

I would always prefer to work with the bone in. Less prep work (no trussing) and there are no (few) surprises .

I will do 100 -150 pounds of butts at a time for pulled pork.

I truss boneless butts because:
1, I can't give up the real estate used by the flat meat.
2. I can't time the untied (flat) pork butts.
3. I am not sure how they would pull.

Just my 2 cents.
v/r r

1. We only do 4 Butts at most, so space is not an issue for me
I'd bet we could fit 5 or 6 .... gotta love that "Large Internal Shelf"
2. I smoke on "LO" for 10 hours to set the Bark
Then slather them with lard, then roll them tight, wrapped in Foil
Crank the temp to 250 and cook to an internal temp of 190 - 200
3. And, they pull GREAT:

Easter Butts 3.jpeg
Easter Butts 4.jpeg

Easter Butts 6.jpeg

Easter Butts 5.jpeg

Boneless = you're not paying (per pound) for the Bones
I actually continue their Cut, and "Butterfly" the Roasts
Lay them out, Cut down and let them Smoke on "LO" overnight
Makes for more Bark and they get to temp quicker too

View attachment 20998
That's the way I do all my butt's. Like you said, twice the bark and at 275º 12lbs is done in 4-5 hrs.

I am not ready to single out COSTCO for selling me stinky meat. I won't say it hasn't happened, but Costco is a Good Supplier of Good meats.

That said, I have opened meat packages from purveyors and found them to smell really ripe. I set these aside with the wrapping in a sealed container and put them back into the refrigerator.

I will take the stinky meat back to any supplier who sold it to me and ask them to call the meat manager. I do not ask for refunds, but I do want them to smell their own product. I then ask them to dispose of it. Generally I will end up with a store credit.

Makes me feel better. :)

I will say, that it is uncommon to run into something so bad I cannot rinse it off and use it. More times with commercial packaged ribs then pork butts. All in all, the USDA seems to have a handle on meat quality.

v/r r
I’ve had this experience more so with Smithfield products…so much so, I no longer buy that brand.

1. We only do 4 Butts at most, so space is not an issue for me
I'd bet we could fit 5 or 6 .... gotta love that "Large Internal Shelf"
2. I smoke on "LO" for 10 hours to set the Bark
Then slather them with lard, then roll them tight, wrapped in Foil
Crank the temp to 250 and cook to an internal temp of 190 - 200
3. And, they pull GREAT:

View attachment 21015View attachment 21016
View attachment 21017
View attachment 21018
DenStinett, I am looking at butterflying two 8 lb boneless Costco pork shoulders on my RT 590. After the 10 hr low period about how long should I expect the 250F cook time to be. I don't see any practical way to wrap these butterflied butts so I am guessing we are talking not wrapped all the way through. Thanx MG

I buy A LOT of these from Costco.

Seems about 50-50 between artfully deboned by a skilled professional and hacked by a drunken barber with a straight razor.

Butcher string is cheap, so I don't really care one way or another.

I’m surprised it’s taking 10+ hours to cook when butterflied. But that’s a beautiful piece of meat.

I tied the last butts I bought from Costco. I’m not good at tying meats. Ugh. I’m going back to my butcher shop or Publix for my bone-in butts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back