Bull Cover or Not?

Jasstohr

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
My first pellet grill is on the way! I ordered the Bull but the cover is not in stock. I live in the country in South Dakota where we get every imaginable type of weather. Should I tarp or after market cover the grill until the RT covers come back in stock? Or, will it be fine to let it “streak“ on my patio for a while? What can go wrong with it exposed to the wind and rain?

BTW - A month ago I didn’t know anything about pellet grills and smoking but after spending countless hours on this forum, I feel like a seasoned vet. (Even though I still haven’t smoked a single thing ?) Thanks to all the members for the wisdom you are sharing!

Personally I would keep a tarp over the Bull until RT gets restocked and then purchase from them. I doubt the elements would hurt much but I hate to have my grill looking like crap all the time. I live in Northern IL and my old Weber went without a cover for a summer and it was always a dirty mess. I can only imagine what it would look like after a long winter.

Welcome aboard and enjoy! Love my Bull.

Congrats and welcome to the RT family.

To hopefully give some what of a direction to go I'll share what I do and what I have. But in the end it's up to you.

mine is stored in the shop 24/7 except when in use. Mine is always covered even indoors to keep it clean and protected from anything that may bump into it or any sawdust or metal dust..

As for the cover, I bought an aftermarket cover for way less then what RT sells theres. I love it and it heavy duty. I use the same brand on my gas grill and my stick burner. Those two sit outside year round (location is South Carolina).

Some members have posted that they let theirs sit outside uncovered and have had no issues.

But again all comes down to what your comfy with. If mine was outside 24/7 I would keep it covered

Again welcome and congrats

Congrats and welcome to the RT family.

To hopefully give some what of a direction to go I'll share what I do and what I have. But in the end it's up to you.

mine is stored in the shop 24/7 except when in use. Mine is always covered even indoors to keep it clean and protected from anything that may bump into it or any sawdust or metal dust..

As for the cover, I bought an aftermarket cover for way less then what RT sells theres. I love it and it heavy duty. I use the same brand on my gas grill and my stick burner. Those two sit outside year round (location is South Carolina).

Some members have posted that they let theirs sit outside uncovered and have had no issues.

But again all comes down to what your comfy with. If mine was outside 24/7 I would keep it covered

Again welcome and congrats
Which aftermarket cover did you get?

The Bull is an excellent choice! You won't regret getting it. As far as covering goes you'll get folks telling you that they don't cover theirs at all and let it set out in the rain/snow all year round and have for years. Then there's the folks who cover it all the time until just before using it. I use a hybrid method of both those for the most part. I follow the weather here in my area and cover it just before a rain storm, etc. I've also left it out in the rain (as many here have) and used it in the rain with great success with no problems. If you cook with it a lot eventually you're gonna get caught cooking in the rain, especially in my neck of the woods here in New England.

No matter which way you decide to you can rest easy knowing that either way has proven to work without effecting the function of your grill whatsoever.

You're in the right place here in this forum, great, helpful folks willing to share their knowledge with others. Welcome!

Thanks everyone! I think I will use a tarp to begin with. Appreciate the insight!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good stuff here. I have a cover but don't really use it. I use the bull 3-5 times a week and like the convenience of just firing it up from the app while I prep the food. It stays outside all winter and then I will cover it. Cant hurt to keep it covered. ??

My first pellet grill is on the way! I ordered the Bull but the cover is not in stock. I live in the country in South Dakota where we get every imaginable type of weather. Should I tarp or after market cover the grill until the RT covers come back in stock? Or, will it be fine to let it “streak“ on my patio for a while? What can go wrong with it exposed to the wind and rain?

BTW - A month ago I didn’t know anything about pellet grills and smoking but after spending countless hours on this forum, I feel like a seasoned vet. (Even though I still haven’t smoked a single thing ?) Thanks to all the members for the wisdom you are sharing!
The cover from Rec Tec is an extremely tight fit. In fact, I sold mine because it became a pain to pull off and on because it was so tight. I would go with an aftermarket. I got one on Amazon that I LOVE, but they no longer sell it anymore.

I'm in the boat of covering the grill. The covers or tarp isn't all that much money and it's certainly an added layer of protection.

I cover mine and it's sitting under a covered deck, but I still like knowing even if rain or snow was to blow in, that my Rec Tec RT-700 is still protected and dry.

Dry is the key word for me. As I do have pellets in the hopper and I want to make sure those stay as dry as possible as to not cause issues down the road.

I recieved a cover in the smokebox package I got from RecTec still in the box sitting in the basement unused, the jury is out if it gets used but the grill sits on a covered porch and pulled out on the deck to use.

I bought the same cover for my Weber gasser a while back. It's held up way better than what I had before. Thumbs up!

I completely agree with you.. the two that are the oldest I've had for about 6 yrs now. Sit outside, unprotected fron the harsh elements of the south and they still look like they came right out of the package, minus some sun fading.. but they have with stood hurricanes and tropical storms for half the cost of a RT...

I have lived on the SE coast all of my 68 years.. I am also a long time Weber fan. I get more life out of them not using a cover. Down here with 100% humidity year round it seems like the little rain the penetrates through the stitches creates a sauna in high temperatures. Probably a moot point.. I usually only get 10 years out of one before the expensive parts are burned up. My new 590 is a different animal. The electrical components and pellets need to stay dry. I bought the RecTec cover even though it doesn't directly rained on. I'll agree with Hog, The cover is tight. If I could do it again I would use a cheap tarp with bungee cords to keep it on.

In the same boat as you - just ordered RT-700 and covers are out of stock. I believe a cover is the right way to go. The link In this post is to the 55” model. Did that work/fit the “Bull”?
I hope so. My 700 isn’t set to arrive until next week. I guess I assumed it Washington but may need to rethink since I may have misread the post. Not out too much though...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back