Stampede Extreme smoke/No Smoke??

Dan99

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hi All I'm doing some chicken wings, have the 590 on extreme smoke setting/180, but I don't see any smoke coming out? Last time I used Extreme smoke, smoked was coming out really good? I'm using the same Hickory pellets? Is there some thing wrong with the 590. I did a clean auger /firepit out about 2 weeks ago.
Any idea's or thoughts?
Another question.I started the cook @ 4pm it was showing on the temp chart. Now I see the start is now 4:44,what happen to to the first 44 minutes?
Thanks Dan

Attachments

• DSC04737.JPG
    DSC04737.JPG
    482.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
WOW 81 views,and no replies? This forum has always been fast with replies? What happened?
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Thx.:unsure: I even plugged it in. WiFi still working good.(y)
I'mtrying to post this question on Rec Teq's Facebook page, but get an error message??

I'mtrying to post this question on Rec Teq's Facebook page, but get an error message??
I'll be honest Dan, I get more consistent flowing smoke at 200 then I do at Extreme smoke for some reason.

last time @ 180 a saw lots of smoke. This time nada?? What about the temp chart?
Thanks Dan

I'd also skip there FB page, and just email them directly.

I dont have an answer for you, but I sometimes do not see smoke coming out of my 700, but I still get smoky flavor. It could be anything from wind, humidity, pellets, etc.

How did the wings turn out?

last time @ 180 a saw lots of smoke. This time nada?? What about the temp chart?
Thanks Dan
Not sure about the temp chart, Did they grill turn off?? I only lose info on a cook if my grill is switched off. I've never had anything temp related happen to me in the chart even if I close the app.

I also think the extreme smoke function fools many people, some think the grill should look like a burning house, but in fact it wont. Extreme smoke provides more smoke/flavor at a lower temp that allows your meat to accept smoke for longer periods if that makes sense.

Wings could have been more crispier. 180 for 1 hr then 350 1/2hr later they were done.

Attachments

• IMG_20200820_083412993.jpg
    IMG_20200820_083412993.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20200820_175423352.jpg
    IMG_20200820_175423352.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 81
There are 2 types of smoke, clean (which you dont see) that imparts greats flavor and heavy dense smoke that many think is what they want but not same same. That heavy dense smoke can and if you have a discerning eater, impart bitter and off putting flavors. So dont judge a cook by the amount of smoke you see coming from the cooker but rather by the ring (which is another odd topic) and what it really tastes like. If it comes out not like you expected, then you can start poking at why, otherwise just enjoy the journey.

There are 2 types of smoke, clean (which you dont see) that imparts greats flavor and heavy dense smoke that many think is what they want but not same same. That heavy dense smoke can and if you have a discerning eater, impart bitter and off putting flavors. So dont judge a cook by the amount of smoke you see coming from the cooker but rather by the ring (which is another odd topic) and what it really tastes like. If it comes out not like you expected, then you can start poking at why, otherwise just enjoy the journey.
Hi They were wings so there wouldn't be much of a smoke ring anyway?
Thanks Dan
PS i HAVE THE FED RATE SET AT 3.0%

Last edited:
Hi All You guys seem to be on the right track,here is Rec Teq's quick E mail reply.

Dan,
Nice to hear from you. In short, not at all. We actively try to get our grills to smoke cleanly, meaning that we want a clear blue haze. If you ever see a thick cloud of white smoke, that means that you’re over filled in the the fire pot. Thick white smoke is full of carbon and gives the food a more bitter taste. Now Extreme Smoke does mean more smoke, but the smoke is blue and really difficult to see in the sun. If you did it at dusk or at night and shrined a light up the smoke stack, you’ll see billowing blue smoke coming out. As long as the grill is holding temp, your grill is working just fine. The only source of heat is that wood burning so there is nothing in the grill that can make more or less smoke other than the pellets themselves.

As far as the app it sounds like the app lost connection with the server when it reconnected, it restarted the cook data. Nothing to worry about long term, just a small glitch.

Thanks so much for reaching out and let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Starting chicken wings off at 180 is a guaranteed recipe for rubbery skin and not crispy.
That’s been my experience also. Recteq just did a funday Friday episode yesterday on turkey, and they said one of the top questions they get goes something like “Why does my chicken have rubbery and/or not crispy skin after I start it out at low temps to get some good smoke?” Chef Greg suggested that to avoid this, never cook the chicken under 325* for any part of the cook. Might be worth a try for anyone who is not completely happy with how their skin turns out at the lower temps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I smell smoke
Back