Stampede First smoke ever on a Rec Tec

ndfan6464

Active Military
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Well the day has come and I am ready to put this smoker to the test. I will be doing a 12.5 lb brisket. I have high Hope's that the Rec Tec wont let me down like I was with my Traeger. So far I've been beyond impressed.

I'll start my brisket at 0200 Saturday. I am expecting anywhere from 12 to 16 hours. That's if the RT cooks correctly. I'll be doing a 225 degree naked to a final pull temp to 203ish.

Started off with a 24hr dry salt brine and then just before it hits the smoker I'll dust with a Memphis rub. Wish me me luck

20190614_061936.jpg

Can't wait to see the end result @ndfan6464. Be sure to post pictures as I have no doubt the RecTec Stampede is going to make you a very happy guy! :D

Looks like you're up for the fun. Your expectations for 12-16 hours don't seem out of line, but...….....goin' nekkid you will be subject to how that particular piece of meat decides to let go of it's moisture. If it chooses to stay in stall long enough you could easily go over that time window. I find briskets both fascinating and annoying, but the challenge to "get it right" is a worthy one. I admire those folks who seemingly never have a less than satisfactory outcome. No matter how consistently I try to behave, the briskets always seem to have a different plan. Perhaps the differences in outcomes are based more in difference of expectations.

Hahah I feel ya @Uncle Bob. I've cooked several briskets in my short 40yrs of life and everyone has cooked differently. And I 100% agree with you that it could go well beyond the 14hrs. I shoot for that time but plan for longer.

I've never cooked a brisket on a pellet before so it's going to be a learning process. Fact this will be my third cook ever on a pellet. I come from wood cooking and swore since I was a kid that's the only way to cook but seeing what pellet cookers can turn out and my pops telling me to get one I finally pulled the trigger on one.

So super excited to see how the RT cooks and the end result

Well it was 0200 and the brisket was started. Checked the smoker again at 0345 and everything is running great. My Thermoworks says its 11 degrees off from what the RT says the cooking chamber is so not to bad. Wishing it was a little closer together but better then 50 like crappy Traeger I had..

The Thermoworks meat temp vs the RT meat temp are way off from each other. RT is say 115 and my Thermoworks is at 93. So I'll have to do another ice bath calibration on the RT..

So far I am really happy with the RT and cant wait till 1600ish..

20190615_013928.jpg
20190615_014535.jpg

Here we are at 9 hours. I've gone through I'd say about 1/2 of a 20lb bag of Oak.

Temps between the two thermometers are staying around 2-10 degrees in difference.

Right now internal temp is at 165. So almost at the stall point. Weather is perfect with a slight breeze and sun shining right down on the smoker.

More to come.

Attachments

• 20190615_112859.jpg
    20190615_112859.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20190615-113537_WeatherBug.jpg
    Screenshot_20190615-113537_WeatherBug.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 106
Looks great! My only suggestion is to first calibrate the Thermoworks thermo, then calibrate the Rec Tec to that.

Thank you for the kind words @Hotelone.

The Thermoworks has been calibrated. As far as calibration of the RT probe I did an ice bath with it and adjusted as needed.

If there is something I've missed with the RT probe I am all ears. Theres always something to learn..

Thank you for the kind words @Hotelone.

The Thermoworks has been calibrated. As far as calibration of the RT probe I did an ice bath with it and adjusted as needed.

If there is something I've missed with the RT probe I am all ears. Theres always something to learn..
You've got it all covered! (y)

Well here we are at the 12.5 hr mark. I've got nice bark going and by the looks of it iam into the stall by the nice glistening on the bark. I've bumped the temp to 245. Will continue the cook naked as I always do. I know, all the ppl that wrap are probably shaking their heads at me hahah..

Temps in the chamber have been staying rock solid and from my Thermoworks its stayed a constant 2-11 degrees different and iam okay with that.

Meat temps as you can see are way off from each other.. so I'll have do another calibration on the RT probe.

So far iam SO SO IMPRESSED with RT and had restored my faith in pellet smokers...

Next update will be when I pull from the smoker and let it rest...

Attachments

• 20190615_142625.jpg
    20190615_142625.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • 20190615_142302.jpg
    20190615_142302.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 87
@Uncle Bob: pull by touch and prob. Once my thermometers register 195ish I'll start feeling and probing. If it's not like butter then I'll continue the cook and recheck about every 15min.

(y)Your experience shows. The first brisket I did in my Stampede I took to 203 (both the RT probe and my thermopen) and it came out just a tad dry (prime grade), since, I do as you and been much better.

@Uncle Bob really appreciate that sir, thank you. Means alot coming from a season smoker as yourself...

I think next week I'll see what this wrapping brisket is all about. Read all about it just never done it so that will be something new...and a coffee rub. So if you know of a great coffee rub and be willing to share that would awesome

I grind fresh every morning when I make a couple Americanos (of course he does :rolleyes: :), hey I lived in Seattle for 40 years, it's like religion) so I use the surplus as an add in to whatever rub I'm using if I'm looking for that add, though with brisket I pretty much stay with a Dalmation rub.

Hahah..oh good ol Seattle and its coffee. When I was stationed there I was definitely looked at as an outsider when people found out I didnt drink coffee hahah...

Unfortunately I cant make do 50/50 rub since my wife cant handle pepper, shes a light weight when it comes to spices.. so iam been using the same rub on my brisket forever so looking to try something different... always wanted to try a coffee rub so figured I'd try that on my next cook and see how it comes out..

Well after 13.5 hours she is finally done. It was ready to be pulled at 196. After feel and probe test it was in and out like hot knife in butter. So now it rest for about an hour. Internal temps should raise to about the 200-203 range for that magic taste..

I am super impressed by the RT and the way it has performed for a really long smoke. It uses fuel at a very economical rate, in my limited experience with these I feel. Used about 14 pounds maybe of a 20 lbs bag...

Any who here it is hot off the grill. Sliced pics once its ready

Attachments

• 20190615_171556.jpg
    20190615_171556.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 85
  • 20190615_171551.jpg
    20190615_171551.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 90

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back