Griddle for Steaks

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
For a Valentine's Day party I am cooking 1 1/2" prime ribeye steaks that I will have aged 42 days. It's a 20 lb boneless roast. I have 8 people coming. I plan to Sous Vide the steaks and finish them off in cast iron skillets. The issue is that 8 steaks take too long to sear on the stove top, even with multiple skillets, so I thought I would do it on my seasoned griddle for the Bullseye. I have never used the griddle. I'm thinking it would be a fast way to sear all steaks at the same time.

Curious if anyone has used the griddle for reverse searing steaks? And if so, do you add butter, oil? These ribeyes have enough fat on them to render that I don't think I would need an oiled griddle. But having never done this, I don't really know for sure.

If I don't use the griddle and try and reverse sear 8 ribeyes on the bullseye, I'm pretty sure I will have an inferno.

Another question, if the above makes sense...do you remove the heat deflector when using the griddle to distribute the heat evenly? Any suggestions on what temp to do this at? Everyone likes rare to medium rare steaks so they will only be on long enough to get a good sear.

Thanks!
Beth

I guess I don't see much difference in the searing surface between a cast iron skillet and a cast iron griddle. Seems like they would work pretty much the same. I'd brush the steaks with a light coating of olive oil before putting them on the griddle and dust them with just a bit your favorite seasoning for a finishing touch.

That said, my preference would be to just sear them on the Bulleye grill; no skillet or griddle. That would mean not overcooking in the sous vide (maybe 100-105 F max ?), getting the Bullseye up to max temp and searing each side for just a couple of minutes. Pull the steaks at 128-130 internal temp for medium rare.

I guess I don't see much difference in the searing surface between a cast iron skillet and a cast iron griddle. Seems like they would work pretty much the same. I'd brush the steaks with a light coating of olive oil before putting them on the griddle and dust them with just a bit your favorite seasoning for a finishing touch.

That said, my preference would be to just sear them on the Bulleye grill; no skillet or griddle. That would mean not overcooking in the sous vide (maybe 100-105 F max ?), getting the Bullseye up to max temp and searing each side for just a couple of minutes. Pull the steaks at 128-130 internal temp for medium rare.
My concern about searing directly on the grates at high temps is the amount of grease that will render, drip down and ignite.

Well, I don't know the Bullseye's characteristics in that situation. I usually do my steaks at 180F on the pellet grill and use my adjacent gas grill to sear them. That gets me a bit of smoke and a good sear. I do see your concern, however.

Using the griddle on the Bullseye sounds like a workable alternative. A light brushing of olive oil on the steaks should keep them from sticking.

Good luck. BTW, what time is dinner?

Make sure you season up your griddle good. It took me hours to do mine.

I recommend this:
https://www.amazon.com/BuzzyWaxx-Or...7074&sprefix=beeswax+seasoning,aps,117&sr=8-2

But you can just do with an oil like grape seed oil. Run your grill at 500 the whole time while seasoning. If I am using the buzzy waxx - I reapply about every 30 to 45 minutes. Mine was a shiny black when I was done.

As far as reverse searing steaks - I have done that before with the griddle. I add oil and butter down. I would run the grill at 500 with the griddle on. You will get some good sears and best of all, you can do all 8 of those steaks at the same time.

I use my Blackstone for this often but have learned that while using butter do not overdo the heat. I will leave it there :).

Given the Bullseye can achieve similar temps I would likely just use a little oil or tone it down if using butter. I have had many successful sears with butter so do not let that deter you from doing so.

Since I don't have a Bullseye not sure about the deflector. I would think if you removed it it might cause too much of a hot spot in the center. If you don't remove it likely you will need to crank it a bit more but achieve better heat distribution. I would try keeping it first to prevent the hot spots if it were my first attempt and with ribeyes you do not want to overdo them.

Good luck.. I'm sure they will turn out perfect with your experience.

I missed your other question. I do NOT remove the deflector when using the griddle. I believe if you did, you would have less even cooking. I would definitely leave it on.

My concern about searing directly on the grates at high temps is the amount of grease that will render, drip down and ignite.
Beth,

There is a video of a guy grilling a steak with a fireball. Perhaps riot mode, I don't know.
I've had fires while grilling 6 or so grease burgers, so the possibility of a fire does exist.

I use my GrillGrates with an aluminum pan sitting on the heat diffuser. Some use the stainless drip pan.
Temp at around 400 to 450 without issue, so far.

A griddle on a pellet grill should work well if you can get it hot enough. I'd use a mix of butter and oil or ghee alone.

@Roaniecowpony do you think a flat top would be that much different than the griddle on the bullseye?

Beth, is this the griddle you have? https://www.recteq.com/products/round-flat-top-griddle

I think, as long as the griddle has a turned up edge to prevent the grease from getting into the fire, it should be fine. You should try to ensure it's level, so you don't get grease overflowing into the fire. Have a plan on how to get rid of the grease. My griddle from RecTeq that came with my 700 is very heavy and difficult to drain by myself into a small container. Also, check to make sure the lid closes with the griddle in place. My griddle just slightly keeps the door open. You might do a trial run to not only season it, but to measure temperature gradient/deviation across it, so you know what to expect, using an IR thermometer.

You might read this thread https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/griddle-cleaning-rust-preferred-oil.4884/

Last edited:
Beth, is this the griddle you have? https://www.recteq.com/products/round-flat-top-griddle

I think, as long as the griddle has a turned up edge to prevent the grease from getting into the fire, it should be fine. You should try to ensure it's level, so you don't get grease overflowing into the fire. Have a plan on how to get rid of the grease. My griddle from RecTeq that came with my 700 is very heavy and difficult to drain by myself into a small container. Also, check to make sure the lid closes with the griddle in place. My griddle just slightly keeps the door open. You might do a trial run to not only season it, but to measure temperature gradient/deviation across it, so you know what to expect, using an IR thermometer.

You might read this thread https://www.recteqforum.com/threads/griddle-cleaning-rust-preferred-oil.4884/
Yes, that is the one I have and it is seasoned. I haven't used it since I've bought it but I did go through the recommended process when I purchased the bullseye and the griddle to season it properly.

It has a substantial lip on the edge so I don't think any grease can get out of it. But it's as heavy as can be. I love my accessories and gadgets, but this is just not something I've ever needed to use.

With eight Ribeyes I think I'll be able to use paper towels to get rid of the grease.

I am definitely going to do a trial run on one of my aged steaks this weekend.

Thanks for the help and links!

Yes, that is the one I have and it is seasoned. I haven't used it since I've bought it but I did go through the recommended process when I purchased the bullseye and the griddle to season it properly.

It has a substantial lip on the edge so I don't think any grease can get out of it. But it's as heavy as can be. I love my accessories and gadgets, but this is just not something I've ever needed to use.

With eight Ribeyes I think I'll be able to use paper towels to get rid of the grease.

Take a few pics and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

@BethV , I'd be more than happy to eat the test steaks 🥩

@BethV , I have reverse seared on my Bullseye many times HOWEVER I have GrillGrates that I leave on 24/7 which helps with flare ups and grease fires!
That being said, I have a griddle for my Bullseye I will give you. I hate it, but that will help contain the grease and prevent a grease fire which is no fun.
I bought a Blackstone and love it for searing and other things the Bullseye just cant do. That being said I cook on the Bullseye and Blackstone weekly, the 590 bi-weekly.

@BethV , I have reverse seared on my Bullseye many times HOWEVER I have GrillGrates that I leave on 24/7 which helps with flare ups and grease fires!
That being said, I have a griddle for my Bullseye I will give you. I hate it, but that will help contain the grease and prevent a grease fire which is no fun.
I bought a Blackstone and love it for searing and other things the Bullseye just cant do. That being said I cook on the Bullseye and Blackstone weekly, the 590 bi-weekly.
@Pops, thanks but I have the griddle for the bullseye. It's just so cumbersome that I've never used it. But I am going to give it a try.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back