Grill station

Cape J/80

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hello all!,
First post owned a 590 for about a month. I can certainly say that the this pellet smoker is something I can never go back from. Ease of use, quality of product and range of cooking is unreal. Tried some of my favorite smoker recipes and some new recteq ones for fun. Love it.

My wife designed and prepped parts for a a grill lean-to for Father’s Day. I put it together it still needs paint, a heat deflector, lighting, a gutter and I’m going to do a shelf/tray i can bring outside and clip on. I suspect the motive is to make me cook even more but I’ll take it. Only complaint is the deck is level but the grill needs to be shimmed a touch?

If anyone has ideas or their examples I’d love to see them.

9F9380AB-8ECB-4DFD-963F-A2D3B1D5C56F.jpeg

Also before someone says it I understand they advise 60” from the grill for wood, that’s why I’ll use flame retardant paint and a heat deflector.

I think I’ll have to modify my lobster thermidor recipe for the pellet grill…

Hello all!,
First post owned a 590 for about a month. I can certainly say that the this pellet smoker is something I can never go back from. Ease of use, quality of product and range of cooking is unreal. Tried some of my favorite smoker recipes and some new recteq ones for fun. Love it.

My wife designed and prepped parts for a a grill lean-to for Father’s Day. I put it together it still needs paint, a heat deflector, lighting, a gutter and I’m going to do a shelf/tray i can bring outside and clip on. I suspect the motive is to make me cook even more but I’ll take it. Only complaint is the deck is level but the grill needs to be shimmed a touch?

If anyone has ideas or their examples I’d love to see them.

View attachment 19463
Set up looks great. What I could recommend is a work station/table of some kind and a storage weatherproof storage cabinet. Always need a place for pellets, tools, butcher paper/foil, foil pans thermometers, cleaning supplies. I hate running back and forth inside the house for stuff that just needs to stay near my RT. Seeing you obviously have power out there, I’d also add some lighting.
Hmmm.... I think the wife designed it small on purpose to limit further acquisitions... :unsure:
It is nice, good job!

Lighting is in the plans and I like the idea of dry storage for foil and other things. I haven’t found a weather right storage solution I love that fits well. I considered running water and making a sink off the side.

Hmmm.... I think the wife designed it small on purpose to limit further acquisitions... :unsure:
It is nice, good job!
She understands if it was made to big it would only be a matter of time before it had a boat or a jeep hardtop hoist in it.😂

I like the way you think and even more important, like the dedication you SO has provided to further your path to success. I also like the ideas posted above and add the following. That vertical support beam behind the smoker would be called a support structure by a general contractor, a firefighter (FF) calls it kindling. That configuration is scary at best and an accident waiting to happen and I don’t see any fire extinguishing devices in the picture. Further, if you are already saturating the upper roof structure with smoke and grease particulatants from your cooks, that grease could impact the adherence of any fire protection/risk mitigation practices you may deploy or increase the amount of “fuel” available in a worse case scenario.
Sorry to bring ants to your party but we all want to be as safe as possible when using our “toys”.

I like the way you think and even more important, like the dedication you SO has provided to further your path to success. I also like the ideas posted above and add the following. That vertical support beam behind the smoker would be called a support structure by a general contractor, a firefighter (FF) calls it kindling. That configuration is scary at best and an accident waiting to happen and I don’t see any fire extinguishing devices in the picture. Further, if you are already saturating the upper roof structure with smoke and grease particulatants from your cooks, that grease could impact the adherence of any fire protection/risk mitigation practices you may deploy or increase the amount of “fuel” available in a worse case scenario.
Sorry to bring ants to your party but we all want to be as safe as possible when using our “toys”.
Im not particularly concerned once the heat deflector and paint are applied. This isn’t an occupied dwelling, nor is it even close. Plenty of ventilation and this is a pellet grill after all. Figure with the mitigation steps this is 100 times safer than anyone with a grill on a deck attached to a home. Safer than someone with a chrome outdoor shower spigot or anyone with an ashtray in their bedroom.

IMO the biggest hazard is if a grill were to tip over with several butts and a large amount of grease, the composite decking burns well.

I have the power shut off and 2 100’ hoses about 35’ away. (3) Chem extinguishers slightly more than that away in climate controlled environments, I don’t want to leave one outside in a salt air environment. Even marine ones get ugly quickly. I have done a few basic FF classes for commercial shipping applications, and have responded to a bunch of grill, house and car fires. But if it lights I’ll be sure to post some video😂

Im not particularly concerned once the heat deflector and paint are applied. This isn’t an occupied dwelling, nor is it even close. Plenty of ventilation and this is a pellet grill after all. Figure with the mitigation steps this is 100 times safer than anyone with a grill on a deck attached to a home. Safer than someone with a chrome outdoor shower spigot or anyone with an ashtray in their bedroom.

IMO the biggest hazard is if a grill were to tip over with several butts and a large amount of grease, the composite decking burns well.

I have the power shut off and 2 100’ hoses about 35’ away. (3) Chem extinguishers slightly more than that away in climate controlled environments, I don’t want to leave one outside in a salt air environment. Even marine ones get ugly quickly. I have done a few basic FF classes for commercial shipping applications, and have responded to a bunch of grill, house and car fires. But if it lights I’ll be sure to post some video😂
Sounds like you’ve got it dialed in. I agree on the fire extinguishers. I keep mine in marine grade cases. May all your hard work turn into great fun and food. I wouldn’t be as cautious if my neighbor didn’t BBQ the side of his house a couple of years ago.

IMG_3843.jpeg

Yikes did they put the grill under that? Or was it on the patio?

We are planning on building a big deck 25x30ish. I would not ever put a grill on the deck or under it. My wife wanted to get a polywood table with a fire pit but I talked her out of that.

I might end up building a ramp and getting the comp cart for when i cook off all the grease or the weather is nice. I’m not impressed with the factory chicken legs on this thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back