Grilling pellets - Only a few choices

I'm using up the last of a bag of Bear Mtn. To me they burn just fine. The only negative, if you want to call it that, is the pellets are fatter then the LJ I have are. While they haven't caused a problem they do not flow through the hopper as nicely as the thinner LJ's. I just check the hopper every few hours and push them around a bit. I'll get more if the LJ's don't show up at the local dealer soon, he sells both.

Hi all. New to the Rec Tec scene and delivery of my 590 expected next week. Been researching pellets, and seems like Lumberjack is the most recommended. From what I can see on their website, you pretty much have to order by the pallet. Here's the problem.....no one in my area (south Louisiana) sells them. My choices are Traeger (Home Depot), Pit Boss (Lowes), B&B (Academy), or Pit Boss and Kingsford (Wallyworld). Which one(s) of these would you all recommend (no fillers, less ash, most smoke flavor, etc)? Which one(s) to stay away from?
Thanks in advance!
Hi all. New to the Rec Tec scene and delivery of my 590 expected next week. Been researching pellets, and seems like Lumberjack is the most recommended. From what I can see on their website, you pretty much have to order by the pallet. Here's the problem.....no one in my area (south Louisiana) sells them. My choices are Traeger (Home Depot), Pit Boss (Lowes), B&B (Academy), or Pit Boss and Kingsford (Wallyworld). Which one(s) of these would you all recommend (no fillers, less ash, most smoke flavor, etc)? Which one(s) to stay away from?
Thanks in advance!
I only use B&B. Tried Lumberjack, couldn't figure out what all the hype was about

Thanks in advance!
I am in S LA as well. I get the LJ pellets through Dicks. They do not stock them at all the stores, and the one closest is one that does not. I have to go to West Bank or Slidell. But it will tell you which ones carry on the website. Shipping is free over $50 if none are close. . I have had good luck at our local Ace Hardware that has a BBQ section. Nice selection and prices are not terrible. $30 for 40lb.

Bear Mountain pellets are running a promotion - buy one, get one free, and free shipping. Promo code is BOGO.

I have 2 x 20# on the way for $18.99. Seemed worth giving them a try.
Just purchased a couple of bags of the gourmet blend. Seems like a great deal especially with the free shipping. Thanks for the info.

Sam’s Club. 40lb bag for $14. They are great pellets.

Thanks in advance!
B&B is my first choice. Then Lumberjacks.

Thanks in advance!
If you have Amazon prime it's a no-brainer. A 40# bag of perfect pellets (other choices also) cost $37.50 free delivery. I don't waste gas and time gong into town for such. I order and the next day the bag is delivered. But don't order more than one at a time the charges for 2 or more are out of sight don't ask me why. As for pellets I never had a complaint from my guest about the smoke on my ribs or butts.

Atwoods has Lumberjack. Not much help in southern LA though. Closest store would be Nacogdoches, TX.

Lumberjack does group buys, which requires 2-4 people to sign up to purchase a ton of pellets. You can go to their website to join in current one or sign up for one.

https://bbqpelletsonline.com/index.php/home/current-group-buys

They post cities that have open spots for someone to purchase. Comes out much cheaper for me than buying from Dick's and other stores. On average, it is $15 per 40# bag or $8 per 20# bag. The premium blends are like $3 more per 20# bag, such as 100% Pecan or Apple.

Downside is it has to be close to where you live and everyone has to go to same drop off point to pick up pellets on same day and time to pick it up. Co-worker and I went in for June group buy in and it was about $200 after taxes for 500# of pellets each. The other half ton was purchased by whomever started the group buy in.

Here you go...Cookin Pellets. Delivered to your door in individual boxes, not on a pallet. They run specials every now and then. I use them and love them.

https://cookinpellets.com/product-category/pellets/

BTW...shipping included in price
Hey blues1, is there coupon code for free shipping? I threw a bag into my basket but was looking at close to $50 to ship. Yikes. Glad I paid attention for a change before clicking buy

What is the name of the motorcycle shop? As I am up in Conroe a lot

Lately I've been using Bear Mountain. I like them but have had some issues that I can correct now that I know. The Gourmet pellet will cook a bit fast, so don't use extreme smoke (over burn into the auger). The bold has a strong smoke, I like it. Using the Apple this morning for a breakfast fatty.

So Lumberjack Competition pellets are decent? I've found them at Rurals for 8.89 per 20lb. bag? RecTec wants 40 bucks a bag? WHA...?

I feel your pain. I am in California and mostly the only place in my area for Pellets are Ace and Lowe’s and that’s mostly Traeger. I just ordered a couple bags of Rec Tec and a bag of Cookin Pellets from Amazon to start with my new 700 coming soon.

Look for a local group for your area on Facebook or here to split a pallet.

Bear Mountain pellets are running a promotion - buy one, get one free, and free shipping. Promo code is BOGO.

I have 2 x 20# on the way for $18.99. Seemed worth giving them a try.
Welcome Cowboy57.

Thank you for the tip mooncusser2k, I've got 2 bags headed this way for the $18.99 w/ free shipping! I wanted to try them but I've only found them for $1 a pound around here so I haven't picked any up until now. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back