Bull Has anyone used Traeger hickory pellets?

JohnDS

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've been using "cooking pellets perfect mix" which has a real nice smell, you almost want to eat the smoke. Probably burned through 240lbs so far with these. I just ordered another 40lb bag from amazon, but noticed the outsides of the pellets didn't have that gloss sheen as usual. I was under the impression that they were exposed to humidity too much so I returned them. Maybe its a bad batch, not sure.

I wanted to try something different, so I ordered two 20lb bags of Traeger hickory pellets already. My concern is that the bag looks like it says 100% hardwood but not 100% hickory. Not sure if the picture they show is an advertisement of another flavor or not.

Now I see that you guys prefer Lumber Jack.

1) Any particular reason on Lumber Jack?
2) Can someone post a picture of the Lumber Jack bag because I see two different style bags on Amazon and they both say Lumber Jack. Just want to be sure to buy the right one in the future.
3) Has anybody used the hickory Traeger pellets that I've purchased? It says 100% hardwood on advertisement photo, but not 100% hickory so maybe someone can give some information on that. Maybe its a different bag in their picture, I don't know.

Thanks

Traeger is getting sued right now in part because their "hickory" pellets are not hickory. It's a very shady business practice in my opinion, nowhere on that bag does it tell you what it is, so who in their right mind would not expect it to be hickory?

https://www.ksl.com/article/46652659/california-man-sues-traeger-grills-over-pellet-quality

Lumberjack is popular because it is the actual wood the bag says it is and can be had at great prices. I have a regional chain near me where I get it for $15 per 40 pound bag (Runnings). I have read that it does create more ash than oil flavored oak/alder like Traeger, but it hasn't been an issue for me so far.

[QUOTE="Lumberjack is popular because it is the actual wood the bag says it is and can be had at great prices. I have a regional chain near me where I get it for $15 per 40 pound bag (Runnings). I have read that it does create more ash than oil flavored oak/alder like Traeger, but it hasn't been an issue for me so far.
[/QUOTE]

Wow I'm glad I had returned the Traeger pellets as well. Before I read this I also had ordered 40lbs of Cookin' Pellet's Hickory. I will definitely try lumberjack next time....$15 for 40lbs sounds great.

Cookin' Pellet's claims the same as Lumberjack being what it says in the bag. Any particular reason you guys choose Lumberack over Cookin' Pellet's, besides for price?

Smoke ring pellets are fantastic that is what i have been using imo its a little better then lumberjack and way better then cooking pellets

Never had treager pellets and thank goodness i never did

Not treager but I've used Lumberjack 100% Hickory and they were fantastic for red meats.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back