Stampede Have Grill set to 470 and it will only reach 357 after 30 minutes.

Sherkaun

I smoke on the grill frequently. I've cleaned and vacuumed it out. I've grilled on it recently and everything was fine. Now I have it set and it will not reach the temperature I've set. I hear pellets drop every now and then but also hear was sounds like a plastic gear clicking and then stops. Also, there is smoke coming from the pellet chamber. I've tried to empty to the degree I could but the grate inside prevents that.

I smoke on the grill frequently. I've cleaned and vacuumed it out. I've grilled on it recently and everything was fine. Now I have it set and it will not reach the temperature I've set. I hear pellets drop every now and then but also hear was sounds like a plastic gear clicking and then stops. Also, there is smoke coming from the pellet chamber. I've tried to empty to the degree I could but the grate inside prevents that.
You can remove the screws holding the grate in your hopper. Most have removed it permanently, unless there is someone you fear is liable to stick their hand in the auger. I suspect that you have a jam in the auger. Usually caused by moisture getting into the hopper. In any event I would first empty all the pellets you can, and then with a vacuum suck up what is left in the auger tube. I would then vacuum the end of the tube in the fire pot. Then I would follow the manual on how to test the auger movement in the test mode; with the grill OFF. If your auger poops out the remaining pellets, check for clumps to confirm the moisture problem. If it poops out all the retained pellets and keeps moving smoothly around you should be good to go. If it does not move smoothly it could be a bent/jammed auger. Depending on the age of your pit, the auger should rotate 1.5 +- with old 590 and 3 rpm with the newer 590 (which gives temps to 700*). At that point, you will have done enough to get customer service able to explain or send you the cure. They will be happy to assist.

Emptied the Hopper and ran in test mode which "pooped" out a lot of pellets some of them a little charred. Vaccummed the remaining pellets out. The grill is a little over a year old. Smoked on it this week and the result was the same. The auger turns, however, it seemed kind of slow to me but I'm no expert. I was smoking chicken thighs and set the temp to 380 and it reached 285 and remained steady. I put one of the probes in the grill just to see if it reflected the display and it was fairly close to the displayed temp. I turned the temp up to 425 and the grill reached 375ish. Looks like I need some help.

You can remove the screws holding the grate in your hopper. Most have removed it permanently, unless there is someone you fear is liable to stick their hand in the auger. I suspect that you have a jam in the auger. Usually caused by moisture getting into the hopper. In any event I would first empty all the pellets you can, and then with a vacuum suck up what is left in the auger tube. I would then vacuum the end of the tube in the fire pot. Then I would follow the manual on how to test the auger movement in the test mode; with the grill OFF. If your auger poops out the remaining pellets, check for clumps to confirm the moisture problem. If it poops out all the retained pellets and keeps moving smoothly around you should be good to go. If it does not move smoothly it could be a bent/jammed auger. Depending on the age of your pit, the auger should rotate 1.5 +- with old 590 and 3 rpm with the newer 590 (which gives temps to 700*). At that point, you will have done enough to get customer service able to explain or send you the cure. They will be happy to assist.
I had that happen I called service and my auger motor was bad

Tried degreasing, emptying Hopper and vacuumed out remaining pellets ran it thru test modes. Tonight I set it to 425 with new pellets and it will not rise above 353 in 45 minutes.

Tried degreasing, emptying Hopper and vacuumed out remaining pellets ran it thru test modes. Tonight I set it to 425 with new pellets and it will not rise above 353 in 45 minutes.
As Larrs said, this sounds like a auger motor issue. I'd call Recteq.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back