Homemade or Commercial Rubs

PSU-85

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have a pork rub that’s been my go to rub for 20 years. Haven’t done a lot of beef but that was usually just salt and pepper. Received some bottles of rub as gifts but generally just made my own. I’ve seen references to Rec Tec, Meat Church and other commercially available rubs. Ive looked at them all a few times but didn’t move on them because I’ve never tried them and the price. I have a bottle of rub that was given to me that is just to hot, even for me. Been in my closet for 5 years or more. Hate to spend north of $10 for bottle only to find I don’t care for it especially when there are so many go rub recipes all over the web.

Tried searching for rubs on this site but the search engine doesn’t like short searches. Searches for rub provides an error message. Saw a post for whole hog on a bull. Didin’t read it when I saw it. Tried searching hog and got the same error message. But I digress.

So do you make your own, buy commercial rubs or combination there of?

Morning PSU. First, throw out that 5 year old rub. 1) you don't like it and 2) it is past it's prime.
I prefer making my own just like BBQ sauce. You have control of what's in it.
https://amazingribs.com/ has a few rubs and is a wealth of knowledge of all things BBQ.
Some of the best ribs I have made had no rub on them whatsoever. A good rub doesn't have to
a ton of different spices to make it good.
Buy some fresh ingredients a couple at a time and make a small amount, take notes and you
will find what you like.
Welcome and good luck!

I have a pork rub that’s been my go to rub for 20 years. Haven’t done a lot of beef but that was usually just salt and pepper. Received some bottles of rub as gifts but generally just made my own. I’ve seen references to Rec Tec, Meat Church and other commercially available rubs. Ive looked at them all a few times but didn’t move on them because I’ve never tried them and the price. I have a bottle of rub that was given to me that is just to hot, even for me. Been in my closet for 5 years or more. Hate to spend north of $10 for bottle only to find I don’t care for it especially when there are so many go rub recipes all over the web.

Tried searching for rubs on this site but the search engine doesn’t like short searches. Searches for rub provides an error message. Saw a post for whole hog on a bull. Didin’t read it when I saw it. Tried searching hog and got the same error message. But I digress.

So do you make your own, buy commercial rubs or combination there of?
I've used the rub posted by @Eddy - Pork & beef rub recipe

It's a great rub. Here lately though I've been using rubs from Meat Church and am really enjoying them. Their Holy Cow rub on brisket is simply amazing.

@PSU-85 I also just added a new feature to the Recipes forum that I think you might like. :D ;)

+1 on simpler the better. If your "house" rub works, then keep going with it.
Commercial rubs are hit and miss. Like craft beers, a funny name and high price doesn't mean the experience is going to be life changing. Anything with celery salt/powder ruins it for me.
My house rub is pretty good and always evolving a little bit. Someday i'll nail it perfectly.

I've stuck mostly to commercial rubs. I've made a few over the years. But I keep coming back to one commercial rub in particular, John Henry's Texas Brisket Rub. It has a very versatile flavor profile that we like on a lot of meats. So, it goes on steaks, tritip, pork, chicken and fish. I buy in in 5 lb bags and go thru a lot of it. I think it has a very common mix of spices.

Recently, with the RT-700 package purchase, I started using some other rubs that came with it. The Freakin Greek rub is great on chicken and potatoes. I've started using the RT Competition Rub in combination with the John Henry's Texas Brisket rub, with a steak last night. It was very tasty. I also used that combo on a couple tritips yesterday, which I haven't sliced yet.

I tried just tasting some of the other RT rubs and they didn't really grab me. Maybe if I cook with them they'll appeal more to me.

On the sauces, I really have led a sheltered life. I made Roxy's Mustard Sauce quite a few times for pulled pork samiches. But haven't done much else in the sauces except "fixing them up". A few days ago, I was doing ribs and noted that I didn't have my wife's brand of sauce, KC Masterpiece original. She likes the sweet sauce more than most of the other styles. I like to vary it. All I had was a bottle of something that was too spicy and not sweet enough for her. So, some catsup and brown sugar and it was right where she likes it. I really need to start making sauces, since I've never been very happy with commercial sauces. Only one commercial sauce I've tried kept me coming back, Cattleman's original.

Hi PSU. I usually use commercial rubs, but have made my own on occasion. Lots of good suggestions listed above. I have a go to all purpose rub Dan's Backyard BBQ All Purpose Rub. He is a local guy so I buy locally, but he does sell from his website just search Dan's Backyard BBQ. There is another great company putting out grate rubs -- Oakridge BBQ. They have a great assortment which I use frequently. If you like a little heat, they have an Outstanding Smoked Chili and Lime Rub, their Santa Maria rub is great, and they are known for their Black Ops Rub as well. Experimenting with what is all out there is what makes BBQ so much fun.

I have two pork butts smoking right now (why I am up at 2:30 am!) and I like a gold sauce with pork but I will be getting some more rhubarb today and instead of pies this round goes to bbq
sauce. The rhubarbs tartness almost replaces the vinegar and is just killer on pork.

I have two pork butts smoking right now (why I am up at 2:30 am!) and I like a gold sauce with pork but I will be getting some more rhubarb today and instead of pies this round goes to bbq
sauce. The rhubarbs tartness almost replaces the vinegar and is just killer on pork.
Rhubarb in BBQ sauce wouldn't have ever thought of that. Rhubarb brings back memories of my grandmother who used to make strawberry rhubarb pies. Definitely recall the tartness that you mentioned. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Hope that sauce turns out for you.

I've used the rub posted by @Eddy - Pork & beef rub recipe

It's a great rub. Here lately though I've been using rubs from Meat Church and am really enjoying them. Their Holy Cow rub on brisket is simply amazing.

@PSU-85 I also just added a new feature to the Recipes forum that I think you might like. :D ;)
That update will definitely be helpful. Was using the tags in the advanced search which I guess is close to what this feature is doing. Thanks.

Rhubarb in BBQ sauce wouldn't have ever thought of that. Rhubarb brings back memories of my grandmother who used to make strawberry rhubarb pies. Definitely recall the tartness that you mentioned. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Hope that sauce turns out for you.
I have made it several times and it is a hit.
I thought I had a new idea and then googled it... Lots of rhubarb bbq sauce recipes out there!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back