How do you fight "old pork/chicken" taste in leftovers?

OldBull

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Beef is pretty good about reheating but pork and chicken have that next day off flavor. How do you handle leftovers so that it is as fresh tasting as possible? Some butts reheats awesome, others are pretty bad.

do you; pull the bone? let the meat cool? refridgerate it as soon as possible? wrap it up as soon as possible? remove fat?

Thanks for any ideas

I reheat many cut of meat by putting then in a freezer bag and submerging them in warm water (close to boiling) and letting the meat stay there for about 30 minutes. I have had good success with this methods on lots of things. Much better than using a microwave.

+1 to @tpack's suggestion. And if using the microwave, saturate a paper towel with water and completely cover whatever it is that you're warming up with it. Microwaves remove moisture from food, so applying the wet paper towel prevents this from happening and you'll get a much better result from using this method.

+1 to @tpack's suggestion. And if using the microwave, saturate a paper towel with water and completely cover whatever it is that you're warming up with it. Microwaves remove moisture from food, so applying the wet paper towel prevents this from happening and you'll get a much better result from using this method.
Been using this method for a long time, this also keeps the microwave food explosions contained and making a mess inside the microwave.

I found the simplest method is to eat it all the first time so there are no leftovers. ?
Anything I'm not going to use that day, I put in a ziploc bag, squeeze the air out via the water displacement/immersion method (
), and chill it down in an ice bath right after cooking.
I actually use something like tpack's method for reheating, but with a sous vide circulator.

How do some of the frozen dinners get taste OK. Birdseye alfredo chicken, jack daniels BBQ, pizza's etc etc. Some are pretty good and have no hint of leftover flavor.
I will try to cool down quickly as soon as meal is over.

Put them in the steamer .. Just watch the time , bring to correct temp THEN STOP or they will begin to taste flat.. You can also add some of the rub or ???

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back