Bull How long does it take for your Bull to recover from opening the lid?

SmokeShow

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I seem to be having issues with the recovery of my temps after opening the Bull. I’m currently cooking a 3-2-1 on some spare ribs and I’m watching the temps of the Bull and it’s been 42 minutes since the “3” of the 3-2-1 method and the Bull temp is actually climbing :( it’s been set at 225 and was rock solid till I opened to pull the ribs for wrapping. It was open maybe 10-15 seconds to quickly pull the ribs then closed. I wrapped them and went back and opened the lid again for another 10 seconds to place the wrapped ribs back on. Since then, my temps have just climbed and I’m up to 262! It’ll be time to pull again soon to unwrap. Anyone have any ideas?

Mine usually recovers in a few minutes of course this is depending on how long I leave it open. If I know I am going to need to do some wrapping or other work, I’ll pull off the meat and work on my shelf or table.

I have noticed when It’s hot out and sitting in direct sun, think 90+ Florida sun, she will struggle to keep a set time around the low 200’s. So I try to keep it in the shade or under an overhang..

I spoke to Rec Tec and they had a good trick to help. I lowered the minimum feed rate for the auger which helped. They also suggested to use a dime sized ball of tin foil to prop the lid open enough for temps to come down but not trigger the RTD probe.

I seem to be having issues with the recovery of my temps after opening the Bull. I’m currently cooking a 3-2-1 on some spare ribs and I’m watching the temps of the Bull and it’s been 42 minutes since the “3” of the 3-2-1 method and the Bull temp is actually climbing :( it’s been set at 225 and was rock solid till I opened to pull the ribs for wrapping. It was open maybe 10-15 seconds to quickly pull the ribs then closed. I wrapped them and went back and opened the lid again for another 10 seconds to place the wrapped ribs back on. Since then, my temps have just climbed and I’m up to 262! It’ll be time to pull again soon to unwrap. Anyone have any ideas?
When it starts climbing raise the lid momentarily and close. Also if it’s hot out lower your feed rate slightly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back