How to install the Wifi controller

Just upgraded mine on the RT 680 today. No major problems. A few tips:
  1. Use some tape to hold your panel screws in place while you are attaching ground wire and starting nuts.

2. I relocated WiFi antenna. Routed through front side slot in black housing and attached to inside of SS shelf for better WiFi signal.

3. After signing on to WiFi and connecting/pairing with app on iPhone, turn grill off and close app on phone and restart/reopen both. Initially, the set point was 350, the grill temp probe said 350 but an independent sensor was over 460 and climbing, so I shut it down. After complete shutdown, cooling off and restart, everything worked correctly.

HTH.

Good tips @bigtex52. My Rec Tec Bull already had the WiFi antenna routed out the side of the grill, so when I replaced it with the updated controller I placed it in the same location.

It does seem though that's not the case for everyone. I've seen a couple people state their WiFi antenna was routed inside of the controller box.

Be interested to hear from those with a 680 that make the upgrade - worth it? I almost never need to adjust my temp from afar and I have the FireBoard for monitoring. Any other advantages to it?

The addition of the wifi feature is the biggest feature of the new controller @wildblue.

I've talked with several other Rec Tec 680 owners and some have upgraded but many other feel the same way as you. They are perfectly fine with their original controller.

@ $99 with 2 new meat probes and the ability to see current grill temp, meat temps, graph temps, set alarms, etc. all from my phone on wifi or inet vs. the maverick probe remote, it was a definite no-brainer for me.

Just upgraded mine on the RT 680 today. No major problems. A few tips:
  1. Use some tape to hold your panel screws in place while you are attaching ground wire and starting nuts.

2. I relocated WiFi antenna. Routed through front side slot in black housing and attached to inside of SS shelf for better WiFi signal.

3. After signing on to WiFi and connecting/pairing with app on iPhone, turn grill off and close app on phone and restart/reopen both. Initially, the set point was 350, the grill temp probe said 350 but an independent sensor was over 460 and climbing, so I shut it down. After complete shutdown, cooling off and restart, everything worked correctly.

HTH.
Hi,
Did you remove the stainless piece it's mounted to or did you just drop the panel and work from underneath?
Pat

NICE! If it gives me the ability to turn off the grill remotely esp. a timer function I'll be doing this upgrade to my 680

@ $99 with 2 new meat probes and the ability to see current grill temp, meat temps, graph temps, set alarms, etc. all from my phone on wifi or inet vs. the maverick probe remote, it was a definite no-brainer for me.
Where did you order from?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back