I just went all in - any tips on using my new baby and treating her right?

I just bought a 590 and I have the same questions! I am looking for simple recipes to be successful. I have had gas grills, a big green egg and a Holland grill. All left me wanting more.
Any tips or hints would be great!

Welcome to the both of you.
There is a ton if great info floating around here.
Here are some resources
RecTeq’s own Chef Greg
Aaron Franklin,
Jeremy Yoder,
Malcolm Reed,
Jess Pryles,
Hey Grill Hey,
Harry Soo,
and
T-Roy
These are some great places to start.

Congrats to you both. All I can say is, jump in with both feet. It is really difficult to mess anything up as long as you monitor internal temps. I've done a bunch of different things in the 6 weeks that I have had mine and we have been very happy with everything that our Bull has cooked. Enjoy the ride, you will not be disappointed.

Little things...
I clean the drip pan before hot cooks. I lay foil on top for easy clean-up.
I use cheap Solo Cups in the bucket to catch drippings.
I clean the fire pot every few cooks. More reliable temps.
I leave the ash in the bottom of the drum for insulation. Some don't.
I want a 5 gal. bucket top shop vac for swapping pellets. Now I'm scooping them out.
Keep notes of your cooks for later reference.

Have fun!

Little things...
I clean the drip pan before hot cooks. I lay foil on top for easy clean-up.
I use cheap Solo Cups in the bucket to catch drippings.
I clean the fire pot every few cooks. More reliable temps.
I leave the ash in the bottom of the drum for insulation. Some don't.
I want a 5 gal. bucket top shop vac for swapping pellets. Now I'm scooping them out.
Keep notes of your cooks for later reference.

Have fun!
Thanks for the Solo cup idea, it's great!
I just picked up my summer stock of foil pans, Traeger foil for drip pan and Solo cups....I'm ready (y)

I think Fast Eddie covered it well. I pretty much clean the grates after every cook and usually replace the foil on the drip tray unless it's pretty clean. That way I don't have to do a hot run to kill the bacteria on the grates before putting the next cook on.

I also vacuum out the fire pot ash after any long smokes like ribs or longer smokes.

I keep my RT-700 covered when not in use as well.

Good luck and enjoy it.

I bought the 700 fully loaded with the cart, smoke box and shelf.
any tips on using and maintaining it properly? What’s the best use for the smoke box?
First things first...do a good "burn in" with some cheap, fatty meat. I recommend getting throw-away bacon or fatty pork from the butcher. Smoke it a while to cook out the chemical/cardboard smell and to season the recteq.
I don't use aluminum foil anymore, but it is not a bad idea to use it. Drip pans are not needed due to the design of the recteq. And keep those grates clean.
Keep the fire pot cleaned up of ashes after brisket/butt smokes, but it's ok to leave it several cooks if you are just making quick meals.
And, as mentioned above, keep notes. I have two recteqs and they cook so efficient that you can't depend on the old recipes for cook time.
Enjoy

ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY
ditto to everything said. Resting the meat is also a very important part of the process. Don’t over look this step.

Though the Rt700 is made of a lot of stainless steel parts you will need to maintain the stainless steel or rust will appear. Try using a stainless polish/ sealer on your grill. I use “Noxon 7metal polish” (Amazon carries it) to clean the stainless and “Corrosion Block” to maintain a long lasting shine. I live in southern Florida and the RT 700 is on a pool patio.

OK, so I am assembling tomorrow and then burning in. I am NOT a professional griller and just want to have a great grilling experience for once.
I have a couple of questions:
1-What is best MEAT to season the grill, I have seen chicken thighs, bacon, what about hamburgers. Just want to do whatever is best. AND it looks like you only put it on the right side of grill?
2-I am going to cook for Easter and my son who is coming home from school wants beef. He really wants a beef tenderloin. I would appreciate any pointers.

I have had many grills over the years, BGE, Gas, and even a Holland Grill, which uses indirect heat like a pellet grill, but have been disappointed in them all.

I am hoping the RT is the answer I have been looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help!

OK, so I am assembling tomorrow and then burning in. I am NOT a professional griller and just want to have a great grilling experience for once.
1-What is best MEAT to season the grill, I have seen chicken thighs, bacon, what about hamburgers. Just want to do whatever is best. AND it looks like you only put it on the right side of grill?
2-I am going to cook for Easter and my son who is coming home from school wants beef. He really wants a beef tenderloin. I would appreciate any pointers.

I have had many grills over the years, BGE, Gas, and even a Holland Grill, which uses indirect heat like a pellet grill, but have been disappointed in them all.

I really don't think you have to season with any cook. The burn in should be sufficient to burn off chemicals and smells of new equipment. 1 hr. at 400* should do it. Doing a real fatty cook, like bacon just makes a bigger mess to clean up after, and if you don't clean after it you may have a nice grease fire when you start up next. . I would go straight to ribs, any method you like. I prefer the 3:2:1 method for spares or 2:2:1/2 for baby backs, but any proven method if done correctly will reward you with a good memory.
Make sure you are on level ground to avoid grease leaking to bottom of the pit. To foil the drip pan or not to foil is a personal choice, that carries different post cook clean up chores.
Make sure to enjoy yourself with a libation of choice (or two?)

Do the 400 degree burn in for 1 hour as recommended by recteq, no need to cook something greasy to season it, that will happen in time with every cook.

Thanks, I appreciate that advice. Can you explain the 321 or the 2,2.5, I love all ribs! Or if anyone can point me to a good source to pay attention too. There is alot out there and not sure who to listen to!
Thanks again!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back