Bull Mold from using a cover?

WooPigFoodie

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Bullseye
Have any of you folks not used a cover for your smoker because of mold? I’m still waiting on my Bull, but I have had a Weber Smoky Mountain for gosh almost a decade. If I ever put a cover on that sucker I get a big giant Furby inside right quick, even when I think it’s nice and clean to start. Just wondering if maybe there’s something different about the Bull or pellet grills in general that might make a cover usable in this hot Arkansas 10 month summer. Thanks for the tips.

Have any of you folks not used a cover for your smoker because of mold? I’m still waiting on my Bull, but I have had a Weber Smoky Mountain for gosh almost a decade. If I ever put a cover on that sucker I get a big giant Furby inside right quick, even when I think it’s nice and clean to start. Just wondering if maybe there’s something different about the Bull or pellet grills in general that might make a cover usable in this hot Arkansas 10 month summer. Thanks for the tips.
You will find a lot of opinions on using grill covers around here so here's mine. I don't care for them, it traps too much moisture and condensation in. I rather have the grill get wet and snow covered, this happens around here than dealing with a cover, rust and what you had mold issues on your old SM grill. Many years ago the one grill I covered my first Weber gasser it seemed like every other time I used it I had to clean out the beginnings of a mouse or birds nest and it started rusting quickly. If you study the design of these Rec Tec grills they pretty much take care of them self's with little upkeep. I keep my Bull stored under a open covered porch and pull it out on a open deck to use but have to admit sometimes it's gets wet but it doesn't seem to care.

Last edited:
Read this and while it deals mostly with mold in the house, because that's a more common concern, it still lays out the basics of mold growth: moisture, food for the spores, and temperature. Eliminate any of those three and the mold can't prosper. The biggest mistake people make is to trap moisture under a cover that supports two of those three necessities, and the food part is there as well because, in our cases here, we're cooking food that works for them like it works for us. Does that mean don't use a cover? No, it means you need to do a better cleaning job and not cover a damp cooker.

You will find a lot of opinions on using grill covers around here so here's mine. I don't care for them, it traps too much moisture and condensation in. I rather have the grill get wet and snow covered, this happens around here than dealing with a cover, rust and what you had mold issues on your old SM grill. Many years ago the one grill I covered my first Weber gasser it seemed like every other time I used it I had to clean out the beginnings of a mouse or birds nest and it started rusting quickly. If you study the design of these Rec Tec grills they pretty much take care of them self's. I keep my Bull stored under a open covered porch and pull it out on a open deck to use but have to admit sometimes it's gets wet but it doesn't seem to care.
Perfect. That’s the info I needed to know! I appreciate your time once again today!

@WooPigFoodie

You may consider using the hybrid cover option that I use. I'm not sure what your weather is down in Arkansas, but I generally leave my Bull uncovered outside where it sits in the open unless I see there's significant rain coming in which is often the case here in New England. Then I cover it and leave it that way until I need to use it again. It takes a little more attention and planning monitoring the weather but it also gets to breath a little better this way in my opinion. I use my Bull more days than not and like to start it remotely with the app. from work so it's preheated when I get home. Covering sometimes throws a wrench in that plan! But as already mentioned everyone has their own method on this one! :D

@WooPigFoodie

You may consider using the hybrid cover option that I use. I'm not sure what your weather is down in Arkansas, but I generally leave my Bull uncovered outside where it sits in the open unless I see there's significant rain coming in which is often the case here in New England. Then I cover it and leave it that way until I need to use it again. It takes a little more attention and planning monitoring the weather but it also gets to breath a little better this way in my opinion. I use my Bull more days than not and like to start it remotely with the app. from work so it's preheated when I get home. Covering sometimes throws a wrench in that plan! But as already mentioned everyone has their own method on this one! :D
Ahh! Great points and plans! Thank you for these tips. I hadn’t considered the remote start issue. I appreciate your time.

I've used my RecTec cover everyday for over a year now, and haven't had any problems.
+1 on Uncle Bob's post.

While I rarely cover my bull (only when it rains) it seems if humidity is high for you, you can add a small dehumidifier under the cover to get rid of any excess moisture

Attachments

• 92C6BF93-FA5E-4DDC-8FD2-27E5F269A1CA.png
    92C6BF93-FA5E-4DDC-8FD2-27E5F269A1CA.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 80
I have the exact same issue. I have a RT-700, and I live in Northern Virginia. Around December I will give it a good cleaning, then cover it. In March or April, I'll uncover it and there's mold. I'm worried about leaving it uncovered and rusting so I'll try the following based on the above posts:
  1. I'll leave it covered when I'm not using it, even during the March - November timeframe. I'll place some of that dehumidifier bucket inside when it's covered.
  2. If that doesn't work, I'll leave it uncovered and only cover it when a storm is coming. Then I'll uncover it when it's passed.

@WooPigFoodie

What kind of cover would you consider a hybrid? Could you post a link to an example? Thanks!

I live in Northern VA, too, and admittedly now keep my RT-590 in a shed made for all my accumulated BBQ-aholic items (where's that 12-step program again?).

This may sound odd but in days gone by when I kept a Weber gasser outside, I would put something on top of the grill to provide a little air space between the grill and the cover over it. Something as simple as a rib rack usually did the trick. One summer I used a couple of those 3" thick sponges used for washing cars. I figured they absorbed any excess moisture and still provided some extra spacing between the grill & cover. The taller the item, the more it raised the cover so it didn't reach to the ground, an added bonus. Might be a small nuisance to do when using the grill multiple times a week, but never had the nasty mold problem, and I think it even cut down on rust since the cover didn't sit directly on the grill to trap moisture.

I also considered getting one of those "half covers" made for built-in grills, so it wouldn't go all the way to the ground, but never did try that option. Maybe that might help avoid trapping moisture on your RT and let it "breathe" while the vital parts are still protected.

In NM, I haven't had any mold issues on any of my grills. I keep them covered when I am not using them because they would be covered in dirt otherwise.

I think it really comes down to the humidity in your area. Here, we are at 5k feet with an average relative humidity of 44 percent.

Last edited:
IMHO The mold is a result of food. Grease splash, dirty surface, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back