Bull Mouse Invasion

I never had them in the Bull but didn't want to start either. The only time I had mouse issues was on a old Weber gasser that I covered, I think they liked the security of what the cover provided.

3 winters ago I went out to start the Weber gas grill. I opened the lid and there was a mouse sitting there looking at me. I closed the lid and started it up. Never seen that mouse inside or out after that. My wife would have had a fit if she opened it. She would have wanted me to toss the grill. I never told her.

i now place Tom Cat around the house and in the garage. I will see that something has chewed on the block and now don’t have any mice problems of them eating into the bags of pellets, grass seed, and etc. or their calling cars that they always leave behind.

Haven't got it yet, but we do have Mice and Squirrels here
Really like the Wood Drain Plug and the two piece (plastic) Cap ideas
I WILL make the Wooden Pug, but I may try to machine a two piece Wooden Cap though

It would be cool if you offered these in other colors. Maybe a bright yellow or orange if for nothing else to serve as a reminder that the cover is there before you fire up the grill.

I can do whatever color you want within reason. Offering a lot of colors means I have to change the filaments all the time which gets annoying, but a few times here and there is OK. Just have to PM me when you order to make sure I have the color.

Haven't got it yet, but we do have Mice and Squirrels here
Really like the Wood Drain Plug and the two piece (plastic) Cap ideas
I WILL make the Wooden Pug, but I may try to machine a two piece Wooden Cap though

Takes my machine about 3 to 4 hours to make the cap parts. I put a huge lead time on it just in case I get a lot of requests.

As stated above, we haven't seen our 700 yet .... but, doesn't the Smokestack Cap thread up and down ?
So couldn't it just be turned (down) enough to where it closes-off the Smokestack ?

As stated above, we haven't seen our 700 yet .... but, doesn't the Smokestack Cap thread up and down ?
So couldn't it just be turned (down) enough to where it closes-off the Smokestack ?

Mine just has 2 notched parts that slide into place. No threading. It just sits on top.

I can do whatever color you want within reason. Offering a lot of colors means I have to change the filaments all the time which gets annoying, but a few times here and there is OK. Just have to PM me when you order to make sure I have the color.

Takes my machine about 3 to 4 hours to make the cap parts. I put a huge lead time on it just in case I get a lot of requests.
I had no idea how long 3D printers took to make items like this. It took me 5 minuets to come up with a idea for a chimney cap and to make it out of a repurposed plastic jar lid. I added the reflective tape to make it easier to see the cap is installed.

Attachments

• 20201011_120205.jpg
    20201011_120205.jpg
    920.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20201011_120219.jpg
    20201011_120219.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Mine just has 2 notched parts that slide into place. No threading. It just sits on top.
Thanks Hilbe
Since we haven't even see our's yet, I was going off-of the picture of the Cap on the RecTec Site:

RT-700 Smokestack Cap.jpg

The Rod looks to be threaded in this pic, so I really didn't know how it's attached
I e-mailed RecTec for clarification on this last night

I think screwing the chimney cap up and down all the time to stop rodents would become a hassle in very short order. I don't reckon that use-case was considered when they chose a section of all-thread for the chimney cap support.

I also thought .... maybe I could use a Welder's Sleeve, with the Wrist end sewn closed
That is, if the Bicep end'll fit over the Cap and still fit tight around the Stack !
We have a few of these (new) in the Shop:
41lul%2BRCWtL._AC_SX355_.jpg

OK ... so I got the answer from RecTec:
" Hey Dennis,
Welcome to the recteq family! I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about your new grill. The smoke stack cap can also be threaded down to close it off if the grill was not in use, I would just recommend you open it back up before using the grill to ensure proper ventilation. If you can think of any other questions about your grill please feel free to reach out to me.
Will Scholer "

We'll know for sure when we see the Grill

Yeah, they are amazing critters
It's also unbelievable, that they can climb up a smooth surface LIKE the side of the Smokestack .... but they do it

I believe only sheet metal and glass are not climbable. I have them on my security cameras going straight up my brick walls.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back