Bull Moved to Europe - What wattage for a 220V/110V converter?

Francesco G

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello Everyone,

I moved to Europe and would like to run my Bull. They use here 220V and I don't think the Bull will handle that well. There are some voltage converters 220v/110V but I have no idea how much wattage the voltage converter needs to support. Would I be on the safe side with a 1000W voltage converter? Is it more or less? Has anyone an idea?

Thanks in advance

Hello Everyone,

I moved to Europe and would like to run my Bull. They use here 220V and I don't think the Bull will handle that well. There are some voltage converters 220v/110V but I have no idea how much wattage the voltage converter needs to support. Would I be on the safe side with a 1000W voltage converter? Is it more or less? Has anyone an idea?

Thanks in advance
You will be more than safe using a 1000 watt voltage converter. I've measured the wattage the Bull uses on start up it's around 150 to 200 watts, ignitor on and when running it's under 40 wattsView attachment 5541

Last edited:
There are some pretty sharp folks here that have an answer, but you might want to contact Rec Tec and ask them for a recommendation that won’t void your warranty.

There are some pretty sharp folks here that have an answer, but you might want to contact Rec Tec and ask them for a recommendation that won’t void your warranty.
Not sure if RT would warranty an ex-pat Bull.

Thank you very much for your measurement post. Quite interesting. I thought it would consume much more.
I have not much possibilities in case it comes down to warranty as it is very expensive to send things to RT and back. I'm not even sure whether they will ship to europe or not. So in case something is broken i guess it's less expensive just to order the new part :). Maybe I will contact RT just to see if they have a recommendation or not. If anyone else has experience with this or a hint you are more than welcome to post here.

That's what I would do, contact RT tech support. Should be able to answer all your questions.

On the RT Support Page I saw the following for the Bull:

HOW DO I POWER MY GRILL?
It is recommended to plug your grill into a GFCI protected outlet.
You can use any extension cord rated for outdoor use.
You can also power your grill with a generator. You will want a minimum of a 600 watt generator and one that is rated for use with electronics.

So i suspect the transformer is auto 110/220. At 220 is needs half the wattage as 110, but anymore now adays, when i travel i never worry about a converter simply just a plug adapter and you should be good. But just to be sure, contact them and they can tell you if its auto converting or not.

Definitely something to check with Rec Tec. The RT-590 manual specifically mentions 110VAC supply voltage. Most electronics these days autosense, but in my experience appliances with heaters and motors do not.

So i wrote to RT and Adam Doolittle gave me the following answer:

Thank you for reaching out to us. A 220V/110V converter will be just fine. As long as it can draw at least 500 to 600 watts, you will not encounter any issues. We have many customers abroad who use the same exact set up. I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions.

btw: I have seen every part of the grill to order on the webpage but no circuit board. Just in case something blows up :) Is there a reason for this?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back