Must be the weather, forum has been quiet.

Motodad1776

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Like the title says, most of the country is suffering from Winter blues and blahs........things have been awfully quiet here. I wake up in the morning, sipping on my coffee before work to get caught up on the goings on here.......and it's crickets. Too cold for me to smoke/grill as well, so I totally get it. :) I am due for some cast iron Dutch oven smoked chili, I might brave the coldness this weekend.......well maybe. ;)

Like the title says, most of the country is suffering from Winter blues and blahs........things have been awfully quiet here. I wake up in the morning, sipping on my coffee before work to get caught up on the goings on here.......and it's crickets. Too cold for me to smoke/grill as well, so I totally get it. :) I am due for some cast iron Dutch oven smoked chili, I might brave the coldness this weekend.......well maybe. ;)
I thought the same thing yesterday lol. I’ve been wanting to fire up the pit myself but everyday life has caught up to me here in GA. It’s been abnormally cold here but we’re in the middle of a major life change getting ready to relocate to Tennessee. Been in the ATL area for 25 years, half my life and an opportunity came up with my company that also allowed us to consider our retirement plans as well. I doubt I’ll get much time to enjoy my proteins much over the next 5-6 months but after the dust settles its back to enjoying what I enjoy most 😀

Same here. We were at zero degrees yesterday morning, and we previously got more snow than we’ve had in the last 2-3 years combined. Add to that fact that it’s dark out in the evening before I even begin a short cook like grilling and it’s a challenge.

i did make some Red Lobster biscuit sausage appetizer balls from the Flat Top King and they turned out fantastic!

IMG_2058.jpeg
IMG_2060.jpeg

I thought the same thing yesterday lol. I’ve been wanting to fire up the pit myself but everyday life has caught up to me here in GA. It’s been abnormally cold here but we’re in the middle of a major life change getting ready to relocate to Tennessee. Been in the ATL area for 25 years, half my life and an opportunity came up with my company that also allowed us to consider our retirement plans as well. I doubt I’ll get much time to enjoy my proteins much over the next 5-6 months but after the dust settles its back to enjoying what I enjoy most 😀
Congrats on your pending change. You are going from good to better as TN doesn’t have a state income tax. Over the years there seems to be several periods of dormancy for this site. This is one of them. It will hopefully pick up near Superbowl when everyone starts to get their party spirit back. Then it will get quiet until spring break and Father’s day. Maybe we should increase traffic by adding our favorite stories about winter outdoor cooking experiences.

I remember being naive enough to think that I could cook several racks of spare ribs in my handmade/homemade barrel smoker when I lived in Omaha Nebraska. It was a blustery 6F and I dug out the smoker from about 4 feet of snow and got it going. After they were done I took them off the grill and put them in an oversized metal pan on top of my beautiful “tempered” glass topped outdoor table. About 2 minutes later the glass top shattered and everything was in the snow on the ground. Definite lesson learned that day about the thermal characteristics and vulnerabilities of frozen glass, haha.

You're spot on @Motodad1776 . No real cold here, but it has been raining pretty frequently since late December. I've cooked in the rain before, but mostly short cooks. I'm looking forward to a dry weekend sometime soon. I'm planning a pork butt and I want to make another pastrami, but that's a weeklong project.

Congrats on the move @BigDan . I know a lot of folks that made the move to TN. Regrettably that's too far away from grandsons to be in consideration for my wife.

My gummies finally kicked in

What part of Tennessee?
Somewhere in between Nashville and Memphis along the I40 corridor. We’ve just started our search. Looking for 60-90 minutes west of Nashville.

Beautiful country. My wife and I spent a long weekend in Paducah, KY for our anniversary a month ago-just north of where you are looking. An upgrade for you, in my humble opinion. My wife is a Dean for a university that has a campus in Atlanta, and she is required to travel there for graduations. She never looks forward to traveling there. Good luck!

Beautiful country. My wife and I spent a long weekend in Paducah, KY for our anniversary a month ago-just north of where you are looking. An upgrade for you, in my humble opinion. My wife is a Dean for a university that has a campus in Atlanta, and she is required to travel there for graduations. She never looks forward to traveling there. Good luck!
Oh I know I grew up in the country in Upstate NY. Soooo looking forward to this. I used to be in the country here but everything is now connected. Thanks man!

I spent time in northern Maine (Limestone), upstate NY (Utica/Rome) western MA (Springfield) and NE (Omaha) and the Upper Peninsula of MI, after that had Thailand, Guam, the Philippines, SoCal and a few other stops. I’m in SoCal (again) so I’ve got nothing. We complain when it doesn’t hit 70F during any day of the year.

I'm in AZ, its 68 in my back yard at the moment Cooking a dried fruit stuffed pork roulade and making raspberry/adobo merlot sauce. I'm cooking all my stick burner favorite recipes to learn my new 1250.

Tenn is amazing BigDan , my sister owns several lake house properties on Norris Lake and are now building a massive house on 6 acres near Nashville. I love riding/exploring in that beautiful state so much, and the people and food aint too shabby either. ;)

I'm in AZ, its 68 in my back yard at the moment Cooking a dried fruit stuffed pork roulade and making raspberry/adobo merlot sauce. I'm cooking all my stick burner favorite recipes to learn my new 1250.
Sure, rub it in! 🤣 Today is the second day above freezing here…and, it has been raining both days since the thaw. Temp is 39F right now.

That said, I just finished re-foiling the drip pan on the Trailblazer and cleaning the grate. Fortunately, we have a covered patio area. Gonna do some simple smoked Costco dinner franks in a bit; nothing fancy, but tasty.

Sure, rub it in! 🤣 Today is the second day above freezing here…and, it has been raining both days since the thaw. Temp is 39F right now.

That said, I just finished re-foiling the drip pan on the Trailblazer and cleaning the grate. Fortunately, we have a covered patio area, so gonna do some simple smoked Costco dinner franks in a bit; nothing fancy, but tasty.

been distracted with real world crap. Broken water lines, transmission issues, work, kids, dogs, you name it. Was planning an ott chili cook Monday but the world had other plans for me. Then Ween dropped a tour in so had to make SWMBO happy - offered up a long weekend trek but she declined opting for only atlanta(home) and Asheville show knowing when/if Pearl Jam announces their tour we’re going to try to catch one or two cities. I thought life was supposed to slow done as we age but it appears to be speeding up no matter how much flower I inhale. Just trying to enjoy the ride and not fight the universal flow too much. Also waiting on the ‘25 academy announcements in august. My brother inlaw and a few other buddies say they want to go next year so gotta squirrel up couple bucks for that. Make a dollar and spend $10. Living the dream and not cooking enough

Will be passing through Asheville myself in a week. The wife and I are heading to St.Helena Island, SC for a week. Got us a nice condo on the ocean, which makes the wife super happy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back