Bull Need advice for Turkey on RT-700

zueth

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
All in the past before I got my RT-700 I smoked the Turkey in my Bradley and then finished in my Big Easy. I would like to cook the turkey in the RT-700 the whole time start to finish. I am thinking of starting at 180 for the first hour, then bump up to 250 for three hours, and then crank up to 400 to finish the Turkey until the breast hits 160.
Does the plan sound like a good plan?
Do you cook the Turkey directly on the grill or do you put it in a disposable pan?
Do you cook back down/breast up? do you rotate?
Thanks.

Also curious. Got a 15 lb one gonna brine first. Any tips appreciated.

Did 23 pounds on RT700 last year. It was 2 hours at 180 and maybe 3 more at 350. I could be off regarding the time for the final step. Brined a full day and spatchcocked. Tossed the bird on grill mats and did not rotate.

Did 23 pounds on RT700 last year. It was 2 hours at 180 and maybe 3 more at 350. I could be off regarding the time for the final step. Brined a full day and spatchcocked. Tossed the bird on grill mats and did not rotate.
What is the reason for the grill mats? I have seen others use those as well?
I plan on brining as well.
I have not Spatchcocked in the past, but since doing in RT, I am planning on it.
Did you put a disposable pan underneath the bird on top of the heat deflector to catch drippings?

What is the reason for the grill mats? I have seen others use those as well?
I plan on brining as well.
I have not Spatchcocked in the past, but since doing in RT, I am planning on it.
Did you put a disposable pan underneath the bird on top of the heat deflector to catch drippings?
Grill mat made it easy to slide onto cutting board when done and no sticking to grill. I did not use pan underneath. I just let it run onto the drip tray.

I put my turkey directly on the grill, no issues at all. In the past I've left the breast side up, but the last turkey I did and the one 24lb turkey I'll be doing for Thanksgiving will be spatchcock.

I plan on smoking for the first hour at 225 and then cook for the duration at 350.

Grill mat made it easy to slide onto cutting board when done and no sticking to grill. I did not use pan underneath. I just let it run onto the drip tray.
Makes sense, thanks.

I put my turkey directly on the grill, no issues at all. In the past I've left the breast side up, but the last turkey I did and the one 24lb turkey I'll be doing for Thanksgiving will be spatchcock.

I plan on smoking for the first hour at 225 and then cook for the duration at 350.
Thanks, from reading all the posts, it sounds like spatchcock is the way to go when cooking a Turkey on at pellet grill. I order some shears so I can do this as well.

Last edited:
Makes sense, thanks.

Thanks, for reading all the posts, it sounds like spatchcock is the way to go when cooking a Turkey on at pellet grill. I order some shears so I can do this as well.
That way has worked for me. Good shears will definitely be helpful.

Oh, wow didn't realize they were that much retail, nm then.
They must be nice.

I'm going to try a method where you break the turkey down before cooking. Just going to do it on my 590 instead of the oven,
Please post the results!

Oh, wow didn't realize they were that much retail, nm then.
They must be nice.
These are premium shears for sure. Of the turkeys I've done so far and spatchcocked them, they have made light work of the process. They are for sure very powerful and sharp. As an added bonus they easily come apart to make cleaning a breeze.

Certainly not the cheapest shears out there, but one of the best I've used.

Well I ended up doing the following times in the bull:

180 - 1 hr
250 - 2 hr
275 - 1 hr
350 - 1 hr

It was a 20lber that I brined for 20 hours, rinsed and put in fridge over night, the. Morning of made a mixture of butter and fresh herbs, chives, sage, parsley, rosemary, and thyme. Then rubbed half inside skin and half outside.

The bird turned out extremely moist and best Turkey I have cooked.

1eef0933170f696ccb0c64a5f012ea80.jpg

b51d8a9db1caa833488ab5949d1dfba5.jpg

4bfb9fcd2bc4302462324edd6c70310d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please post the results!

These are premium shears for sure. Of the turkeys I've done so far and spatchcocked them, they have made light work of the process. They are for sure very powerful and sharp. As an added bonus they easily come apart to make cleaning a breeze.

Certainly not the cheapest shears out there, but one of the best I've used.
They look nice. I use these which come highly recommended by numerous places OXO Good Grips Spring-Loaded Poultry Shears

They work really well. Good shears make all the difference in the works when spatchcocking a turkey.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclorphan
Back