New Beta app update patch / BearMountain Pellet review.

Buckeye smoker

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Morning all, I told a few I'd get back to them on a CPL things. I was going to add this to a current app thread but there's already several anyway.
@Mike @mooncusser2k @Roaniecowpony etc..

So I got around to my Beta 1.6.0 app version this morning and the cook is in progress 8pd Pork shoulder.

App-
Immiedate difference in notifications/alarms* If the functions continue, this is a home run for RecTec*

I will add pics to show them. The app alerts when the smoker is on and off, it alerts to building temp,over temp,under temp, regained temp. It alerts to temp settings for the probes.

@Roaniecowpony my first 4 or 5 checks of the temp on the app DID show temp increase without refreshing. Later, I had to refresh the screen as usual by going back 1 page to the grill select screen. To me this sounds like a "timed out "event. I can't tell you how long (8-10min guess?)..and is really a non-issue to me. It may even have to do with my phone not the app and background processes etc,etc. I'm one of the lucky ones that never really had problems with the app. However now, I'm even more happy with it. I see future posts about people crying that the app now alerts them TOO MUCH...lol I did notice they got rid of the grill temp alarm button on/off it's just the two probes now. The internal barrel temp alarm is automatic for +/- 15° but you can adjust your feed rate from the app.

BearMountain Pellets - So....I ordered these on a whim because I like to try new things. I'll be honest, I thought they were 100% all one wood pellets. Like Lumberjack's 100%. So I ordered all Apple to compare to my Lumberjack's which I love**
... immediate difference as, my grill was in over heat notification mode after 10mins approx. Going over the 180° Extreme Smoke setting. In fact, it got to 205° and I had to vent the lid. My smoker has never gone more than about5° over or under the setting in the year Ive owned it.(RT700).

It's 60° light wind, same spot it sits. The only difference is the pellets. So these appear to burn hotter. And that gets me back to the 100% Apple deal. Bear mountain is 100% "hardwoods".... Meaning, unlike Lumberjack's they are approx. 70% Ash or Oak and 30% Apple. (Depending on region they say)..This doesn't mean they are filler, it just means they are not 100% one wood. They do appear to have good amount of smoke, and are a larger diameter than Lumberjacks. For me, even if they taste good, I'm probably not going to stay with them if it effects the temps this much.I realize I can change auger speed etc, and I do have it stabilized now but, I got The Bull to get away from babysitting. Also when using a stick burner I don't put Apple and Ash in it at the same time as another example. Anyway, There's my preliminary review of both as promised. I'll let you know how the cook turns out, and the apps performance later today...
Screenshot_20200517-083053.png

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to post all this. This update automatically downloaded version 1.6.0 yesterday, but haven't had time to use it yet. Not real happy about the grill range button missing I had mine set to 25 degrees to eliminate some of the alarms.

@Roaniecowpony well in the fair amount of time it took to post that, I went back to the app, and it did auto update the temps without refreshing again. If the temperature is changed or bumped, the notifications also alert you to this, as well as when it reaches the new temp. Even though the txt says 15° on the set temp alerts, the alert says "more than 10" just a observation.
Also, the Smoker is holding at 180-182° now after venting. I'll take that into consideration for final pellet review..haha.
And a shout-out to @Mike as you can see the forums notifications have been working well also. Thank you!

Thanks for all the work and effort to post this. I'm looking forward to the new software production version.

On the pellets, I have a few different 100% wood species pellets from LJ. But I seem to mix my own combination anyway. I've been trying to use about 1/3rd Rectec Ult Blend in everything, mainly to use it up, since I still have about 300 lbs of it. But also, I think it adds some stability to some of the woods that burn hot, like mesquite. One combination I use frequently with pork ribs is LJ apple, LJ cherry, and RT Ult Blend. For beef, I've been using LJ mesquite/RT UB.

Thanks for taking the time to post all this. This update automatically downloaded version 1.6.0 yesterday, but haven't had time to use it yet. Not real happy about the grill range button missing I had mine set to 25 degrees to eliminate some of the alarms.
25° ??...how were you able to do that?. It was automatic when it fell below or above the set temp after it was reached. Guess I'm not following ya?

Ok so my end of day final.words and review are:
The beta App update worked flawlessly.
After paying more attention to detail mine did display changes in temp when bringing it out of sleep/timeout". All functions and alerts/notifications worked perfectly...very happy a d big Thank you to RecTec !!! This will hit the ball out if the park for them.
BearMountain Pellets-:
I don't have anything bad to really say about them, I bought them as a trial and they did their job with pretty good results. here are the differences.
My go to are Lumberjack pellets .
So in comparison, (Apple to Apple)
The BM are a little larger in diameter, and made my auger make noises at times. ( Not that it was harmful).
The BM burn hotter, and caused my temps to shoot up 25° hotter than the set temp at start up.
It took awhile but between venting the lid and the RT controller, they eventually leveled out and held steady temp. Which was about 3° higher on average than my norms. ( Auger settings could be adjusted also of course)
The BM are a mix(70/30 usually) of ash and Apple or Oak and Apple depending on region.(site info)
LJ are 100% one wood in their flavor specific pellets.
LJ are alot more accessible in my area, and about HALF the cost.
BM appears to put out more smoke.
LJ have better/more flavor.
I'll stay with LJ for the reasons I stated. But wouldn't tell anyone to not use or try BM's.
I found this "what do the pros" rate as good pellets. (Take it for what it's worth)
I haven't tried the BBQ Delights yet, but they seem very pricey*
chart.png

BearMountain pork shoulder.
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200517195703154_COVER.jpg

Morning all, I told a few I'd get back to them on a CPL things. I was going to add this to a current app thread but there's already several anyway.
@Mike @mooncusser2k @Roaniecowpony etc..
So I got around to my Beta 1.6.0 app version this morning and the cook is in progress 8pd Pork shoulder.
App-
Immiedate difference in notifications/alarms* If the functions continue, this is a home run for RecTec*
I will add pics to show them. The app alerts when the smoker is on and off, it alerts to building temp,over temp,under temp, regained temp. It alerts to temp settings for the probes.
@Roaniecowpony my first 4 or 5 checks of the temp on the app DID show temp increase without refreshing. Later, I had to refresh the screen as usual by going back 1 page to the grill select screen. To me this sounds like a "timed out "event. I can't tell you how long (8-10min guess?)..and is really a non-issue to me. It may even have to do with my phone not the app and background processes etc,etc. I'm one of the lucky ones that never really had problems with the app. However now, I'm even more happy with it. I see future posts about people crying that the app now alerts them TOO MUCH...lol I did notice they got rid of the grill temp alarm button on/off it's just the two probes now. The internal barrel temp alarm is automatic for +/- 15° but you can adjust your feed rate from the app.
BearMountain Pellets-
So....I ordered these on a whim because I like to try new things. I'll be honest, I thought they were 100% all one wood pellets. Like Lumberjack's 100%. So I ordered all Apple to compare to my Lumberjack's which I love**
... immiedate difference as, my grill was in over heat notification mode after 10mins approx. Going over the 180° Extreme Smoke setting. In fact, it got to 205° and I had to vent the lid. My smoker has never gone more than about5° over or under the setting in the year Ive owned it.(RT700).
It's 60° light wind, same spot it sits. The only difference is the pellets. So these appear to burn hotter. And that gets me back to the 100% Apple deal. Bear mountain is 100% "hardwoods".... Meaning, unlike Lumberjack's they are approx. 70% Ash or Oak and 30% Apple. (Depending on region they say)..This doesn't mean they are filler, it just means they are not 100% one wood. They do appear to have good amount of smoke, and are a larger diameter than Lumberjacks. For me, even if they taste good, I'm probably not going to stay with them if it effects the temps this much.I realise I can change auger speed etc, and I do have it stabilized now but, I got The Bull to get away from babysitting. Also when using a stick burner I don't put Apple and Ash in it at the same time as another example. Anyway, There's my preliminary review of both as promised. I'll let you know how the cook turns out, and the apps performance later today.
View attachment 3999View attachment 4000View attachment 4001View attachment 4002View attachment 4003View attachment 4004View attachment 4005
Thank you very much for this update. Am I seeing a really big win here on a preheating alarm? For clarity, is the beta version telling you when you reached set temp? Without constant alerts starting you are out of range? That is going to be so helpful

Thank you very much for this update. Am I seeing a really big win here on a preheating alarm? For clarity, is the beta version telling you when you reached set temp? Without constant alerts starting you are out of range? That is going to be so helpful
Yes. preheating, reached, on/off, over heat,underheat, when meat temp alarm is set changed, meat temp reached, it tells you everything.... Here's a few I captured...
Screenshot_20200517-094755.png
Screenshot_20200517-085051.png
Screenshot_20200517-085018.png
Screenshot_20200517-083619.png
Screenshot_20200517-083557.png
Screenshot_20200517-083504.png

Screenshot_20200517-083337.png
Screenshot_20200517-191839.png

That’s fantastic news. Greatly appreciate you sharing. Fingers crossed they release to Apple products soon...Update: v1.6.1(343) released on 19-May-2020

Last edited:
Bear Mountain - I wonder if the larger pellets affected the burn rate?
I felt like they burned faster and I used more because of burning hotter.
Could be a few factors like the wood mix as well as size... I guess you'd almost have to measure out a certain amount of each and do a timed burn test. But they definitely run hotter.

I bought a few bags for $7 per 20 so if they burn a little faster, I'm not out anything. I also bought the gourmet blend because that 's what was on sale. I will try them out maybe this weekend.

Great deal !..There's nowhere in my area to get them. They definitely don't "suck" ...I just like LJ a little more and I can get them anytime.

They were on sale at Fleet Farm. After I burn through those, I will try LJ next. The closest place that has them at a decent price is 90 miles a way in Milwaukee. Still that is the Covid hotspot of WI, not going anywhere near there for pellets :). Once things settle down, I get down that way several times a year for work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back