Bull New owner: do I need a third party thermometer?

Venomboy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello! I just got my 700 and I’ll assemble it this week.

I have a Thermapen already. The Bull has 2 probes, correct? Everyone I watch on YouTube is using a third party thermometer with alarm. Why not just use the ones it came with?

https://www.thermoworks.com/smokex

This is on sale today. Sooo...

Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks!

@Venomboy the RecTec mobile app has come a long way and it's alerts and so on have gotten much better here lately.

While the Smokex is certainly a nice setup, I stick with meat probes that came with my RecTec Bull and then use an instant read thermometer pen to get quick reads.

I have the Smoke, predecessor to the SmokeX, that I use with my Big Green Egg and in the kitchen. It’s a wonderful unit but I’ve never felt the need to use it with the Bull. So I’d recommend the SmokeX only if a) you need the longer range that it offers over the Smoke, and b) if you will use it with other devices in addition to on your Bull.

I like having a 3rd party thermometer (thermopro ) just to be able to verify and adjust the RT sensor and the probes.

I also have a Thermopen MK4 that I used to get the final cooking temperature I'm looking for and use the standard meat probes and alerts that came with the Bull to get me in the neighborhood of the cooking temperatures. After I calibrated the Bulls meat probes they pretty much spot on.

I didn’t mention it in my post, but I have a Thermapen also, which is the most used thermometer I own.

I would always recommend at least having a good instant-read thermometer (eg, Thermapen, Javelin, etc - I own both) to check food, beyond the RT probes.

Some folks will use a separate remote thermometer as a comparison to the RT probes, or to get temps on more than 2 items on those bigger cooks. Some units offer 6+ probes.

I have some Inkbird thermometers as backups and for kettle use. They are right there in accuracy and very affordable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back