Bull New purchase

Hi - I literally just joined the forum myself and responded to a question on "basics".... happy to cut and paste it here too...

I'm fairly new to the pellet game too and found I needed to make some adjustments to how I grill and my expectations of a pellet cooker. Especially for quick grills like you are asking about.....steaks, burgers, chicken, dogs....

While this doesn't sound very "manly," you're really now grilling in a pellet fueled oven. So you'll have to adjust your cooking technique to how you might cook these foods in an oven. Pellet grills shine at low, slow and flavor but unfortunately you'll be disappointed if you cook low and slow to get flavor then turn it up at the end expecting to open the cover to find a seared steak. For things like steak and burgers, unless you cook low and slow, take it off, put it aside before its done (say 105F), then crank the heat (which takes some time to come up to temp like an oven) then drop what your cooking back on sear grates when the "oven" hits your cranked temp (say 500-600F), you're not going to get a real sear.

If I'm trying to do something quick like steak, burger or dogs, I'll turn my Bull all the way up and treat it like I'm using indirect heat to reverse sear like I did on my old Weber, then in the last few min put it on the sear grates to get some lines or a little crust (if I turn the grates over). Works, but you're not getting that low and slow flavor that you could infuse into your steaks and burgers.

I've actually bit the bullet and bought another small grill so I can run it next to my Bull. The Bull will cook at 225F for that low, slow, mmm goodness and the secondary grill will be all the way up so when it's nearing temp I can just pull the meat and drop it on super hot grates with no downtime.

Just bit the bullet and got the Bull with large interior shelf. Any recommendations for a new user to pellet grills?
Congrats on your new Bull. The main thing I can offer is to remember the actual cooking area of the grill is only the size of the drip pan, don't allow food to extend past the drip pan otherwise you will get grease down in the lower barrel which could cause grease fires, also making sure the grill is level so grease will flow to the drip bucket.

The best advice that I can give is to just stick to the basics, because at the end of the day grilling is grilling...no matter what type of grill you're doing it on. Focus on internal temps and not the time. The meat will tell you when it's done.

Far too often on here I see a lot of overthinking of things when it's really not necessary. Now, that's not to say that I don't believe that there will be some sort of learning curve with figuring out a new grill. That's to be expected with most everything that's new/foregin to us.

One of the things that I like about figuring out new things, is that it allows me the opportunity to experiment a little, and in doing so, I sometimes discover one of those "Oh yeeaaahhh!" moments, which is always a cool feeling. :) I would also suggest watching some of the pro grillers or just some of the cooking/grilling shows to learn some of their techniques. This is another one of those things that gave me the "Oh yeeaaahhh!" moment. There's lots of useful information out there if one is willing to take the time to do the research.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forums,

Darrell

Last edited:
If you decide to get the sear kit for your burgers and..(worth it imho) take the advice from Mastertech59 above. Instead of placing a sear plate in the same direction as the grates run them the opposite direction to keep them over the drip pan. You might want to look around for a good griddle also. I have blown a few cooks (imo not the familys lol) but by in large the RT700 makes it very easy to succeed. I bought mine in May and kick myself on a daily basis for having waited so long. It has opened up a whole new world. Have fun!

And while I'm spending your money :LOL: get a Buckethead vacuum from Home Depot for fast easy cleanup, a smoker tube for higher temp cooks and an Inkbird or Thermapen. I'm sure you'll think of even more accessories as you go! Have fun!

Yeah I was wanting the sear kit but are sold out. Also wanted the front folding tray but sold out as well. I had a MES 30 electric smoker before and did a mailbox mod on it so I’m not new to smoking but am excited buy all the extra space and ease of use.

Just bit the bullet and got the Bull with large interior shelf. Any recommendations for a new user to pellet grills?

use a loose leaf binder with dividers. Keep notes for everything you make so you will know what to do the next time. It may seem as a waste of time but it really helps to improve, keep the same, and judge the time needed to make in advance to have dinner on time.

I had a MES 30 electric smoker before and did a mailbox mod on it so I’m not new to smoking but am excited buy all the extra space and ease of use.
I tinkered with an MES40 for several years and converted to an RT-700 about two months ago. Talk about an upgrade! This is a whole new world for me. You will be very happy when you get your hands on yours. The large interior shelf is great, and definitely pick up the front shelf when they are back in stock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back