New to Recteq, Dualfire 1200 with Smoke Box questions...

Grill(s) owned
  1. DualFire 1200
Hello All,
My Dualfire was delivered today. Ace Hardware did a great job of assembling the grill, it arrived in perfect condition. I haven't had the time to do the burn in yet, but I did install the Smokebox that I purchased separately from Recteq online. I have a couple questions and I'm hoping those that have the Dualfire and/or the Smokebox might be able to shed some light on a couple things.

In the Smokebox installation instructions it mentions that for the Dualfire, to... "install clip into grease spout and hang bucket underneath the Smokebox". Does anyone know if a clip and grease bucket were suppose to be included with the Smokebox, or are those two items sold separately? I didn't see any mention of needing extra items in the Smokebox description when I purchased the Smokebox.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the handle on the Smokebox door. I installed the handle according to the instructions, but the handle seems really wobbly and excessively loose and when the door is in the closed position the handle doesn't keep the door securely closed. I thought I read somewhere that others may have had the same issue, but I can't remember where I saw that posted now.

I've had a Traeger pellet grill for around 30 years, it still runs great, but I was never satisfied when it came to searing or regular grilling. There are so many pellet grill manufactures around now, all of the grills have really great features and up to date technology since I purchased the Traeger way back when. In researching, I've read so many great things about Recteq's customer service and the huge majority of happy owners of Recteq grills, so I thought I'd give Recteq a try.

I'm going to give Recteq a call tomorrow, but thought I'd post here in the meantime to see if I could get some feedback.

Thanks everybody, Happy Grilling/ Smoking! :cool:

Welcome to the forum @NewDualfire1200. Can't help you with your questions on the 1200 or smokebox, but I suspect some of the knowledgeable folks here will be able to offer some insight. I would agree you need to give recteq a call as they will need to supply any missing parts for you. Storms moving through east TN tonight have unhinged my dog so I have given up on sleeping. He seems much happier that I am up and he can relax I suppose.:mad:

Hello All,
My Dualfire was delivered today. Ace Hardware did a great job of assembling the grill, it arrived in perfect condition. I haven't had the time to do the burn in yet, but I did install the Smokebox that I purchased separately from Recteq online. I have a couple questions and I'm hoping those that have the Dualfire and/or the Smokebox might be able to shed some light on a couple things.

In the Smokebox installation instructions it mentions that for the Dualfire, to... "install clip into grease spout and hang bucket underneath the Smokebox". Does anyone know if a clip and grease bucket were suppose to be included with the Smokebox, or are those two items sold separately? I didn't see any mention of needing extra items in the Smokebox description when I purchased the Smokebox.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the handle on the Smokebox door. I installed the handle according to the instructions, but the handle seems really wobbly and excessively loose and when the door is in the closed position the handle doesn't keep the door securely closed. I thought I read somewhere that others may have had the same issue, but I can't remember where I saw that posted now.

I've had a Traeger pellet grill for around 30 years, it still runs great, but I was never satisfied when it came to searing or regular grilling. There are so many pellet grill manufactures around now, all of the grills have really great features and up to date technology since I purchased the Traeger way back when. In researching, I've read so many great things about Recteq's customer service and the huge majority of happy owners of Recteq grills, so I thought I'd give Recteq a try.

I'm going to give Recteq a call tomorrow, but thought I'd post here in the meantime to see if I could get some feedback.

Search on an old thread titled New 700 & Cold Smoker Owner. I think that will give you some ideas on the door handle.

Welcome to the forum @NewDualfire1200. Can't help you with your questions on the 1200 or smokebox, but I suspect some of the knowledgeable folks here will be able to offer some insight. I would agree you need to give recteq a call as they will need to supply any missing parts for you. Storms moving through east TN tonight have unhinged my dog so I have given up on sleeping. He seems much happier that I am up and he can relax I suppose.:mad:
Hey Thanks for the warm welcome.
Hope your pup settles down so you can get through the storm in peace!

Hello All,

Hi All,
I just wanted to add that I did call in to Recteq today to address my concerns with the Smokebox. Hopefully this may help others. Michael at Recteq said that Smokeboxes that may have been packaged before the Flagship and Dualfire 1200 models came out will not have the clip and grease bucket included in the box.

As far as the Smokebox handle issue of it being excessively loose, wobbly and not staying in the closed position and not closing tightly, he said that it may need some washers added to rectify this issue. Hopefully it will be an easy fix like he indicated with just adding some washers on the handle shaft to fix...we'll see.

He is expediting the shipment of the grease bucket, clip and Smokebox Hardware Pack today, so I may get them tomorrow. So far, so good, my call in to Recteq was answered pretty quickly and my concerns were addressed promptly! Way to go Recteq, that's the Customer service I was hoping for! I'll post back after getting the hardware pack to let others know if that fixes the door handle issue.

Have a Great Day! :)

Hello All,

Congrats on the new rig. I'm about a month in with my dualfire and smokebox. I too had the very same issues. I solved the 'clip and drip pan' issue with a quick call to Recteq. The parts were not sent originally. Here now and working great.

For the door handle, I had recteq send me a new handle to try, but it was no better. I read a thread about installing the thin grill gasket material around the inside of the door (or box itself, can't remember! ) after this cheap upgrade, the door has some outward pressure which keeps the handle from flopping down under its own weight.

I hope this helps and happy smoking!

Congrats on the new rig. I'm about a month in with my dualfire and smokebox. I too had the very same issues. I solved the 'clip and drip pan' issue with a quick call to Recteq. The parts were not sent originally. Here now and working great.

For the door handle, I had recteq send me a new handle to try, but it was no better. I read a thread about installing the thin grill gasket material around the inside of the door (or box itself, can't remember! ) after this cheap upgrade, the door has some outward pressure which keeps the handle from flopping down under its own weight.

I hope this helps and happy smoking!
Thanks for the info about adding a gasket around the door, it sounds like an easy fix. I've never used any gasket material around the door on any of my grills before, is it just adhesive backed and about what thickness of gasket did you use?
I haven't received anything from Recteq yet, I hope it gets here soon. I may have to try the gasket as well but I'll try what Recteq suggested with the additional hardware they are sending to see if that might work.

How do you like your Dualfire? I've been wanting to try doing a brisket and have been enjoying looking around everywhere to see different ways people have been smoking their briskets.

Thanks for your help!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back