Bull Newb Here RT700 Used 4 Times Crack In Heat Sheild Corner

MizzouRah

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Got my new RT700 a couple of weeks ago. Everything about working with it has been awesome. I noticed last night that there was a crack in the corner of the heat shield from grilling on full max to sear steaks a few days ago. Should I be concerned?

I would be concerned enough to call Recteq and ask for a replacement heat shield. In the long run, I doubt if the crack would make much of a difference, but you paid for a grill with an intact heat shield and having it crack after two weeks would not set well with me. YMMV

I had a small crack in my cast iron heat deflector as well that showed up after a few cooks. I called, they sent a new one out.

Watch the crack, if it travels take it to a welding shop. Ask them to vee it out and weld it with nickel rod and to peen the weld with a needle scaler to relieve weld stress.

Watch the crack, if it travels take it to a welding shop. Ask them to vee it out and weld it with nickel rod and to peen the weld with a needle scaler to relieve weld stress.
Aftermarket like smoke daddy could be cheaper.
Warranty replacement would be #1 option.

If the OP gets a replacement he should save the cracked one in case the new one cracks.

Sounds like they went to cast iron to prevent the warping of stamped steel ones and now have another problem. My stamped steel one warped so I clamped it down straight on the welding table then welded some small flat bar on the top in an "X" pattern. No more warping.

I just bolted a 9"x9", 3/16 piece of SS to top of mine and that both straightened it and did not warp after (on my 590.) My 1070 has the cast iron and it appears intact so far.

Last edited:
My 1250 will be 2-years old this coming Feb. I noticed a crack on mine as well, but doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back