Bull Pellet Life

Gotbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
New at pellet smoking- How long can I leave pellets in the hopper without them losing their mojo? Do they absorb moisture? Are they good for a week or should i just put in as much as i need for each cook? Thanks-

New at pellet smoking- How long can I leave pellets in the hopper without them losing their mojo? Do they absorb moisture? Are they good for a week or should i just put in as much as i need for each cook? Thanks-
I know a lot of that would depend on what the weather is like where you live. In central California (Hour south of Sacramento) I have never had issues leaving them in long term. We have low humidity. Another factor is that when you cook the box seems to warm up and that probably works for the longevity of the pellets I am guessing.

Here in Raleigh area, it is pretty humid and we get rain and I have had no issues leaving pellets in hopper with just the cover over the grill. I have run through almost 160lbs so far since Nov.

Well there goes my humidity theory! ?

Hahah.. you made a good point though about the box getting warm. Never thought about that drying out the pellets...

Side note. I miss Sacramento, I know you live outside of there.. I was born and raised in Sac. Joined the military at 22 so military life has a way of moving you, multiple times..hahah. only been home twice in 18yrs of service so far.. that's been the downside... okay enough of me hijacking this thread..sorry OP

Hahah.. you made a good point though about the box getting warm. Never thought about that drying out the pellets...

Side note. I miss Sacramento, I know you live outside of there.. I was born and raised in Sac. Joined the military at 22 so military life has a way of moving you, multiple times..hahah. only been home twice in 18yrs of service so far.. that's been the downside... okay enough of me hijacking this thread..sorry OP
Glad you shared... Thank you for serving! God bless.

I live in NJ with hot humid summers, wet spring and fall and winter. I leave pellets in the hopper (uncovered now due to laziness) and never an issue with keeping the pellets dry.

I live in NJ with hot humid summers, wet spring and fall and winter. I leave pellets in the hopper (uncovered now due to laziness) and never an issue with keeping the pellets dry.
Thanks for all the input. I have a cover and if laziness doesn't get the best of me, i'll use it. Just bought 2, 9 lbs brisket points, already corned (St Patty's Day on the way) . Pastrami ahead. I'm going to soak them to take out some of the saltiness, season them and then smoke them tomorrow. I'll post how they come out. I did a flat last week, too salty and not enough fat. Hopefully I'll get it better on these two.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back