Pork Nuggets

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I wanted to share a little treat that I made unexpectedly. I had prepped 32 lbs of Boston Butt for Italian sausage and breakfast sausage. My husband asked me to hold back 5 lbs and toss it on smoker.

It was cut for sausage so it was clean with some fat in 1-1 1/2 inch pieces. I rubbed it with Louisiana hot sauce and a hot honey rib rub. It went on the smoker for 5.5 hours.

The end result were these really delicious tender pork nuggets. Perfect little appetizer. It did not resemble a burnt end. Totally different. Just sweet little pieces of pork.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

PXL_20221225_225839688.jpg

Those look great Beth. If cooked for 5.5 hours it seems like they would have a similar texture/tenderness to pork ribs. What temp did you use?

@Waterboy I set my 590 to 225F. They did sort of resemble a rib in a sense. But they're kind of addictive because they're so little and full of flavor.

One thing I did notice about them is that I had to add more seasoning to them mid way because I felt like they just weren't absorbing enough seasoning. I also spritzed them with apple cider vinegar and apple juice. Next time I do this I will season them overnight so that they absorb more of the seasoning.

I never really thought of using a Boston Butt in this fashion. But it totally worked.

They look great Beth. What did you use for Hot Honey rib rub, store bought or make your own? I’d like to try that.. looked up a recipe for it, never heard of granulated honey.

They look great Beth. What did you use for Hot Honey rib rub, store bought or make your own? I’d like to try that.. looked up a recipe for it, never heard of granulated honey.
@padlin00 I do make my own rubs but I also buy a lot of rubs that I really like. I used John Henry's Honey Rib Rub. At about the 4-Hour mark I added Trim Tabb's Pig Powder.

Like a pork butt or any large piece of meat, it can take a lot of seasoning. Even in nugget form it needs a lot of seasoning. I would definitely recommend seasoning it up the night before or even 2 days before. And then sprinkle again when it's in the pan.

I didn't mention this but you may have noticed that I did this in a foil lined sheet pan, placed directly on the grates so that there was absolutely no mess in my smoker.

Wow those look tasty and a perfect appetizer for a party! Thx Beth!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back