Pork Steak Recipe?

BigDog

Does anyone have a fool proof pork steak recipe? I have tried using a modified 3-2-1 method but could not make it work.

Thanks

Does anyone have a fool proof pork steak recipe? I have tried using a modified 3-2-1 method but could not make it work.

Thanks
I do Pork Steaks on my 380 quite offen ,but don't have a fool proof way.

You could probably get away with adding in a 180* smoke bath for 45min or so first - if smokey is your goal. (I don't)
I grill them for about 5 minutes per side (gas or charcoal) - just Lowrey's because there's so much sauce.
It's all in the braising; drown it in sauce (in disposable aluminum pan) for a half hour at 300-350, flip the steaks half way thru so everything is getting a sauce bath.

I don't take temps, everything is guaranteed to meet and exceed temps.
The braise in the bbq sauce keeps everything soft and pleasant to eat.

I baste them with yellow mustard (mostly because that’s how I’ve always seen them done in my 40+ years on this earth) plus seasoning of your choice. Give them some smoke if you like, but it won’t take long to overpower a standard pork steak. Much like Smoke OCD I then hit them 4-5 minutes per side on either charcoal or gas (I prefer charcoal, especially if not smoking first). Then put them in a pan with some combo of bbq sauce, beer, apple juice, etc…. Growing up we ate them a lot and my folks liked Maull’s bbq sauce (a St.Louis icon), but that was always too thin for my taste. At this point you can braise them until they reach your desired tenderness. Less time for a little bite, or leave them on longer if you want them to fall off the bone and melt in your mouth.

Pork Steak and Kettle Korn guaranteed at every fair/carnival/festival in St. Louis. I don't remember Maull's though.
At least you know what a pork steak is! Originally from the desert of NM, and now in the swamps LA, I do not believe I have heard of such a cut!

Texas and Az here. I learned about this a few years ago. Was new to me too. Its a cross cut of a pork shoulder. I cook mine exactly like a thick chop if I want "steak". Otherwise cook by weight like a pork butt but have to be 2" or thicker slice. It's basically smoker made pig candy at our place.

Pork Steak and Kettle Korn guaranteed at every fair/carnival/festival in St. Louis. I don't remember Maull's though.
Not sure if Maull’s is around anymore. It used to be on shelves everywhere in the greater STL area, but I seem to remember they were bought out some years ago.

Not mine - just found it out there. I do remember "Maull It!" from a commercial now that the internet has jogged my memory. I also saw it described as the Bud Light of BBQ Sauces.

Maull's bbq sauce clone

1 1/2 cups tomato puree
1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
3 TBSP dark corn syrup
2 TBSP brown sugar
2 TBSP worcestshire sauce
1 1/2 TBSP molasses
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
3 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1 TBSP thawed orange juice concentrate
2 tsp A1 steak sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp tabasco or other hot sauce
1 1/2 tsp coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Combine the tomato puree, vinegar, corn syrup, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, molasses, lemon zest and juice, orange juice concentrate, steak sauce, soy sauce, tabasco sauce, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, and cloves in a large deep heavy nonreactive sauspance over medium-high heat. Gradually bring to a boil, whisking often.

Reduce the heat to medium and let the sauce simmer until thick and richly flavered, 6 to 109 mintues, whisking occasionally. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and/or pepper as necessary.

Makes about two cups.

Actual Ingredient list from the Onion Bits version:

Ingredients​

TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, VINEGAR, SALT, PEPPER PULP, DEHYDRATED ONION, MOLASSES, PECTIN, DEHYDRATED ONION AND GARLIC POWDERS, NATURAL FLAVORS, SPICES, ORANGES, LEMONS, RAISINS, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, ANCHOVIES.

I cook often pork country style ribs and pork steaks. They are a very easy and delicious. I cook them with the same technique. Rub them with yellow mustard and coat with any type of pork rub. Set temp to ‘low’ for one hour. Increase to 225 and cook till done (tender). I don’t check temp or wrap. You can slather with or dunk them in sauce at the end. I normally go with Jack Millers or Pig Stand (IYKYK- South Louisiana thing).

At least you know what a pork steak is! Originally from the desert of NM, and now in the swamps LA, I do not believe I have heard of such a cut!
I was wondering about that too. What I often see in the SC Lowcountry that’s referred to as pork steaks are simply a pork butt cut into steaks…not to be confused by pork chops from the loin.

The pork steaks I’m referring to are often used in Korean bbq. They can be grilled but would need to be sufficiently marinated to make them easy enough to chew. And that’s what think these guys are referring to since they’re braising them too. Just guessing.

What I often see in the SC Lowcountry that’s referred to as pork steaks are simply a pork butt cut into steaks…
That's it! Braised isn't a requirement, it's just a texture thing. We eat it straight off the grill as well.
The pork steaks I’m referring to are often used in Korean bbq.
I do pork Bulgogi - it's quickly pan fried. Same cut of meat, just way thinner.

My girlfriend wanted pork steaks today. Bated with mustard, hit them with some Aw Shit! Seasoning and threw them on the Bull on low for about 45 minutes. Then moved them to the charcoal grill for a quick seat, then into a pot with some beer and KC Masterpiece ( no Maull’s today lol) where they are still simmering away.Coleslaw is made and she whipping up a loaded baked potato casserole. I’m laying in a hammock in the backyard with the race on the tv and some good tunes playing. Life is good!! Happy Sunday everyone!!
7C553768-1FC8-4AFA-8046-3CB5928EC5C6.jpeg
2D745D1B-6CF2-450D-88DD-5458BDCA70E3.jpeg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back