Potential Pellet grill owner - have questions

Hipplewm

I am currently using Eggs - I have XL x2 and a Large - all 3 are run by a single stoker II wifi
I can run all 3, graph the cooks, I can run unlimited meat probes - all graphed
All on wifi - from anywhere in the world I can monitor the cooks, adjust temps etc
I assume this can all be done by Rec Teq (Except each grill has its own controller obviously)
I do not need nor want a grill - I have a solaire IR grill - so this will be 100% smoker only

Now for the questions:
I don't see anything about open lid detection - for instance - with a stoker if it detects the lid opening by a sudden drop in temp - it "Sleeps" and doesn't crank up fans or try and "Fix" the issue to limit overshoots when you do close the lid. Do the controllers have that feature or something similar?

I am mainly looking for more "Space" so I am considering a BFG-2500 - for my eggs I just buy whatever lump that I can find - whatever is on sale etc - temps have never ever deviated more than 3-4 deg from what I have it set. From the forums it seems some grills are "picky" about type of pellet etc Will I be stuck buying Rec Teq pellets forever? Can I buy cheap wally world pellets etc? Do Pellets have any storage considerations? I live on the water (Charleston) and the humidity affects lump and how easy it lights etc - are pellets affected the same way and will that affect temp or will the controller compensate like the stoker? Can I add chunks of real wood for additional smoke?

How well does it hold temps in the 160-180 range to cold smoke for jerky?

This will come down to BFG-2500 or a vertical gravity fed smoker (MMS G20 or Stumps most likely) I am drawn to the gravity feeds so I can have a single source of fuel (Lump charcoal) but most importantly I want to set it and go to sleep and wake up to BBQ.

William

Well I’m also an egg owner. Sold one of my larges to help finance the 700. Basically for the same reason, more real estate.

I can’t imagine needing the space of the 2500, but my get to gathers are 20 or less so my 700 is fine for that. A lot of people use the pellet for everything, I’m not in that camp but I’m glad it works for them. I don’t think you can beat the direct heat of the eggs for some things but my pellet is so much nicer to set and forget for overnight smokes. The pellet grill is not as efficient as my eggs but I pay around $15 for #20 and I get 20 lb of lumberjacks for $8.88 so Its a wash or maybe a little cheaper. But really I don’t grill/smoke to survive, I do it because I enjoy doing it and enjoy the food that comes off of it.

Before buying the 700, I looked at sq in on the egg and the bull. It will fit 3X The food and it’s rectangular instead of round that also seems to provide more food space. (I’m talking about the large egg).

Anyhow, no you don’t have to use Rec teq pellets. Try what’s around you. Just a couple things tho, don’t use pellets for heating. Use food grade wood made for grilling, no fillers or additives. I know Traeger pellets are made with flavoring oils as a binder. I wouldn’t use that. I’ve used Bear Mountain, Kingfords, and now Lumber Jacks, all have worked well for me. All natural woods with no fillers or additives. I’ve heard people say some brands and wood types burn hotter then others, I wouldn’t know, I’ve never go over 450 anyway. If I need hot I use my eggs.

Whatever size you get I’m sure you will love it. Buy the size you will need. But I wouldn’t fire up the BFG for a couple racks of ribs lol. Next weekend I’ll be cooking 4 pork butts in my 700, that will be the most I’ve cooked in it so far. I’ve done 2 and they looked lonely in there lol.

@Beavercreek_smoker I do cooks for charity events - so, I typically do 2-6 briskets - 4-6 pork butts and 10-12 racks of ribs. With my 3 eggs it takes me 2 complete cooks to get it all done.

I will be keeping at least one XL and one L egg no matter what, so I can use them for small cooks for family etc. I would probably only use the BFG for events - not paid - just volunteer.

I have never used my eggs for direct cooking - I have a Solaire IR grill for direct stuff

What you said about fillers and stuff is what has kept me away from pellets so far. I guess, if I go this route I'll just have to be careful until I find the 3-4 types I can "trust" and stick with those.

My eggs are set it and forget it as well - XL can EASILY go 30 hours without touching it - I have done 3 sets of pork butts back to back to back without adding more charcoal. They are extremely efficient, as you know. That said, I can add more pellets while it cooks easy enough, that won't bother me.

Sounds like you are doing these charity events to write off your expenses to do them. The MMSG20 will get you off to a better start stretching your expenses to the point they pop.

A few things, your kamado controller doesnt work the same as the pid, similar but not same same. You dont need an open lid detector because the grill cools so fast you need the constant heat, You will get temps swings but they are not huge by any means. And 160 is not cold smoking for one, but two, the low setting is only going to yield a low of about 180 and no lower. Your temp control goes to 200 then low, no physical number under 200. Pellet grills have their place but they are no jack of all trades. A kamado, sure you can do anything on it with an external controller and a little work but pellets are definitely wonderfull for set it and forget it.

Sounds like you are doing these charity events to write off your expenses to do them. The MMSG20 will get you off to a better start stretching your expenses to the point they pop.

I am not even sure what you are trying to insinuate. I mean we are talking 3-5K for a smoker. Not a large sum of money here, but somehow that will offset my income or something.

Anyway, not that it is any of your business, but I only deduct actual cash payments to the charity or if I am required to buy the food, but typically they provide the food (I give the charity a shopping list) and then I cook it. I don't write off expenses.

I am not even sure what you are trying to insinuate. I mean we are talking 3-5K for a smoker. Not a large sum of money here, but somehow that will offset my income or something.

Anyway, not that it is any of your business, but I only deduct actual cash payments to the charity or if I am required to buy the food, but typically they provide the food (I give the charity a shopping list) and then I cook it. I don't write off expenses.
Don’t let him get in your head. He likes to drop in and post snarky comments in threads where people are just looking for some help.

As for what you were asking I’ll try to help but I have a 700 not the BFG and from what I’ve read on this forum and others there are some unique issues with the BFG.

As for the lid detection I know there isn’t one on the 700 and haven’t read anything about one on the BFG but the controller does a good job of correcting spikes from opening the door fairly quickly in my experience.

I haven’t found my grill to be picky about the pellets I use But so far have only used Rec Teq, Lumberjack and Cookinpellets. All quality brands. You have to be careful about fillers if you start looking for bargain basement prices. You also need to be careful about humidity as it will affect how the pellets burn.

I can’t help you with how the BFG does with low temps but I’m pretty sure you aren’t going to get 160. Maybe 180. Best to check in on the BFG-2500 forum for those specifics.

Also on the steady overnight cooks my 700 is awesome. It hold super steady all night. I have never had a problem, but again probably better answered by BFG owners on that forum.

I would encourage you to call and talk to a CS Rep at Rec Teq with these questions. They are great both before and after the sale.

I hope this helps, good luck on your decision.

Don’t let him get in your head. He likes to drop in and post snarky comments in threads where people are just looking for some help.

As for what you were asking I’ll try to help but I have a 700 not the BFG and from what I’ve read on this forum and others there are some unique issues with the BFG.

~snip~

I would encourage you to call and talk to a CS Rep at Rec Teq with these questions. They are great both before and after the sale.

I hope this helps, good luck on your decision.

I hope that guy isn't in outside sales - anyway, no worries

Those "Unique" problems I have read about on several forums - all seem to be tied to "Bad" pellets and or some sort of feed rate - which I kind of assumed the controller could take care of, but maybe it can't

I am actually in Augusta, Ga on business and I went by Rec Teq the other day and I posted these questions after my conversation with the CS rep.

He seemed to blame the "Overshoots" in people cooks on the fact that if temp went a little high - people open the lid and then it lowers the temp and piled in more pellets and temps go up even further - which seemed odd, but I politely listened and took mental notes. so, most of my questions here were a result of that conversation.

In the end, I think the temp controller I currently use may swing the tide. It just seems the pellet grills are on version 1.0 and need to get to 3.0 before they are up with the standard temp controllers for eggs or gravity feeds. It would be incredible if I could hook my stoker or a heatermeater to a BFG-2500 - I would buy one Friday on my way home - no doubt.

I will certainly stop by the store again before I leave as it is 10 min from my hotel, and I haven't made up my mind - with covid, I have some breathing room - no events planned for a few months.

I am not even sure what you are trying to insinuate...
Don‘t let it get to you, as already mentioned it’s a common occurrence here.

Related to your situation, I used to work volunteer for my son’s high school band, cooking for fundraiser events and for the kids on competition weekends. I sure wish I had a Blackstone and a recteq back then!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back