Stampede Protect the Cover

DesertRat

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
I just bought a new cover for my stampede and before I use it I would like to protect it from being cut by the two lid rests at the top of the smoker. I’m wondering what others are doing to avoid having these two fairly sharp rests poke holes in their covers. I could tape it up but would prefer something a little cleaner and more effective.

image.jpg

I have a 590 and I did read some bad reviews on the covers. When I received my 590 I noticed the corners of the bent steel were quite sharp. I took a ball peen hammer and softened the corners and I haven’t had a problem. I don’t see an issue in bending those tabs over a little bit to soften that up as well. I use my 590 a couple times a week and take the cover on and off all the time. My cover is about a year old. Still no rips and it sets in the sun about 12hrs a day. Hope this helps.

You could put a slit in a tennis ball, racquetball, maybe even a ping pong ball and take them off&on when you need to cover it? I've got a 1070 so same tabs - they stay nekked.

I just bought a new cover for my stampede and before I use it I would like to protect it from being cut by the two lid rests at the top of the smoker. I’m wondering what others are doing to avoid having these two fairly sharp rests poke holes in their covers. I could tape it up but would prefer something a little cleaner and more effective.

View attachment 16776
I used the felt piece of a Velcro strip to cover it.

image.jpg

Get a chunk of vaccum hose, put a slit in it lengthwise and push it on over the edge. Can use a zip tie or something to help hold the ends down

F333B432-F3BC-4C72-BA1F-57033EBD76AB.jpeg
7DA62284-5F54-48E0-8F3C-764DD7FA4414.jpeg

You can find this corner protectors in the children’s section at your local Wally world. They work good on the sharp corners of your pellet box.

You can find this corner protectors in the children’s section at your local Wally world. They work good on the sharp corners of your pellet box.
I found they last about 3 or 4 times taking the cover off before they fall off on a1250.

I don’t have a custom fit Recteq cover. Mine is just a cheap baggy one from Wally world so it’s easier to put on and takeoff

I took a piece of the corner protecting cardboard from shipping the grill and cut it down to fit across both hinges and it protects the cover great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back