Pulled Pork for Party

@BethV and all
I am finally cooking pork belly next weekend. I am curious on how you did yours since it sounds like it was a hit.
So I have been watching and reading and my questions to the group are?
Cube first or cook whole then cube?
I have seen some say that cubing first can make them salty.
Has anyone cooked asian style? Just saw a video mad scientist did, interesting.
It also seems as though cooking times and temps vary wildly.
I have plenty of time and no party, just cooking for the wife and I but if it turns out good, will cook some for the holidays.
Any thoughts?
I followed a MeatChurch recipe.

These were great because they cook on a pan and sort of confit. Very easy and people went crazy over them. Not to mention the only grease was in the pan.

I will say that I had a bunch on the 590 and I had a bunch on the bullseye. Same temperature. The ones on the bullseye got much darker on the bottom so I really had to keep my eye on those.

The party pulled off great. The pork belly burnt ends were a big hit. Regarding the 2 butts, I started them at 9:00 pm and they were probe tender at 1:00 the next day. I kept them in the cooler wrapped in peach paper and towels for about 2 hours. I pulled the pork then and it was so tender and good.

I covered it lightly with foil and refrigerated it for a couple of hours. Then into a 150F oven to warm. People loved it, but having tasted it first pulled and after reheated, I will pull and serve next time. It didn't take more than 5 minutes to pull each roast. And it wasn't messy. It was a good lesson to learn.

I sure appreciate everyone's advice and comments!

BethV (or can I say West Coast Beth). Glad you had a great experience and equally glad your guests enjoyed the wonderful meal you prepared for them. I second the idea of pulling fresh. Pork Butts have an amazing way of drying/dehydrating if/when they transition through too many temperature cycles. You can replace the moisture using the left over renderings but nothing ever compares to freshly pulled in my opinion.

Happy Cooking…

BethV (or can I say West Coast Beth). Glad you had a great experience and equally glad your guests enjoyed the wonderful meal you prepared for them. I second the idea of pulling fresh. Pork Butts have an amazing way of drying/dehydrating if/when they transition through too many temperature cycles. You can replace the moisture using the left over renderings but nothing ever compares to freshly pulled in my opinion.

Happy Cooking…
@SmokeZilla West Coast Beth is just fine😁

@BethV and all
I am finally cooking pork belly next weekend. I am curious on how you did yours since it sounds like it was a hit.
So I have been watching and reading and my questions to the group are?
Cube first or cook whole then cube?
I have seen some say that cubing first can make them salty.
Has anyone cooked asian style? Just saw a video mad scientist did, interesting.
It also seems as though cooking times and temps vary wildly.
I have plenty of time and no party, just cooking for the wife and I but if it turns out good, will cook some for the holidays.
Any thoughts?
Pops,
Not bbq, but we go to a yakitori joint regularly, that rolls thin pork belly with shiso ( https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+is+shiso&form=ANNTH1&refig=14d03978e75847fc8bc376229a818775 ) leaf to about 1" diameter, then slices the roll into about 1/4-5/16" thick pieces skewered 3 to a stick. Then these are grilled with a yakitori sauce. Incredible!
https://food52.com/recipes/22850-pork-belly-and-shiso-skewer-yakitori

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewDualfire1200
Back