Stampede Question about temp calibration

egraf

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just setup my new 590 yesterday and love the build quality compared to my previous non-recteq grill. I did the initial 400 degree burn in and used a 3rd party temp sensor just to monitor temps, saw for a while it was sitting around 360-380 while saying 400 steady on the recteq app. Wasn't sure if this was normal, or if I need to do the temp sensor off set adjustment that's mentioned in the manual.

I also opened the app and when going to my grill --> Settings --> Advanced Settings it says "Temperature Calibration -128%" and wasn't sure what that meant.

You will need to calibrate the offset to get it closer to 400°, but I question if it actually is set to -128%. The range of adjustment is from -20% to +20%. You can find a video with the instructions on how to make the change Here

You will need to calibrate the offset to get it closer to 400°, but I question if it actually is set to -128%. The range of adjustment is from -20% to +20%. You can find a video with the instructions on how to make the change Here
Is it common to need to make minor adjustments to get grill accurate when first setting up?

And I was a little curious as to what that setting meant too as I watched the video and noticed those increments as well. But this is what I see:

Capture.JPG

Is it common to need to make minor adjustments to get grill accurate when first setting up?

And I was a little curious as to what that setting meant too as I watched the video and noticed those increments as well. But this is what I see:
Look at that! I wonder if it is something new on the dual band controllers. If you do go back in to play with it, it would be interesting to learn what the full range of adjustment is on your grill.

As to your question on making minor adjustments, my suggestion would be to use it a bit first. Sometimes these grills seem to work better after some usage.

Just setup my new 590 yesterday and love the build quality compared to my previous non-recteq grill. I did the initial 400 degree burn in and used a 3rd party temp sensor just to monitor temps, saw for a while it was sitting around 360-380 while saying 400 steady on the recteq app. Wasn't sure if this was normal, or if I need to do the temp sensor off set adjustment that's mentioned in the manual.

I also opened the app and when going to my grill --> Settings --> Advanced Settings it says "Temperature Calibration -128%" and wasn't sure what that meant.
They have a nice video on YouTube on how to use "Offset" . Be advised that the numbers represent about 1%. So if your temp is 360* when you set it to 400*. Then divide the difference by 400. i.e. 40/400 which is 10%. You would then reduce the Offset -10 and recheck after another period of stabilization. What you are doing is telling the control that it is really 10% low, and so it compensates by turning the "set" temp 10% hotter which gets you to the right range. If your real temp had been 40* hotter than your set, then you would have used +10. In doing all of this, you must be willing to take time to let the pit stabilize at the target temp which is usually 20-30 minutes after reaching that temp. Patience is a virtue! Personally I adjusted my 590 and 1070 for accuracy in just the smoking range of 180--295 (I did 225* and 275*) since significant differences can ruin a low/slow. After adjustments I found that the higher temps were pretty close also, but not as critical on hot cooks. Two of my kids have 590's and have not changed offset at all. They just either use higher or lower setting, or increased or decreased times to get good results. And most important of all is to know how to check your meat and know when it is done!! Unfortunately if you call CS at RT, they will tell you that the factory setting is correct for the whole grill area and encourage you to trust that. Perhaps that is true most of the time, but was not for me and some others. I personally like/love the control as it is adjustable in several parameters. I am not aware of any other pellet grills in which the control is consumer adjustable.
Best wishes to you and many great cooks be your good fortune.

View attachment 17746
I have no idea what that -128% means. You can get into the test area on your 590 and see what is on the Offset. It should be on zero 0 as the factory setting.. If not I would call CS at RT and ask what is going on.. I have put a note above about how to adjust "offset" if you find the need, but would talk to CS about the above before doing so.

I just checked the Offset setting shown on the App on my iPhone. It shows +7% which is exactly what I set it on the control. Unless the new 590 uses a different system, yours should have said 0 (or blank spot). Since range is +20 to -20, then -128% makes no sense to me. I would definitely call RT in the AM. My minimum feed rate was factory set at 1.0 . Yours is a 0.5 which may be correct for 590 f(I don't know since I no longer have my 590.) I'm very anxious as to what they say.

Last edited:
I have a newer 590 with the dual band controller and my app also shows -128% under the temp calibration. Have no clue what it means but I can confirm that it’s is not something wrong or specific to his personal unit. My 590 holds strong and true to my temp settings for the most part. I’ve only had a few spikes but that’s typically caused from it chasing temps after opening the lid.

I have a newer 590 with the dual band controller and my app also shows -128% under the temp calibration. Have no clue what it means but I can confirm that it’s is not something wrong or specific to his personal unit. My 590 holds strong and true to my temp settings for the most part. I’ve only had a few spikes but that’s typically caused from it chasing temps after opening the lid.
OK ! Thanks. Wonder if it has same -128 on the control when in the test mode ??

Thanks for all the replies. I did my first cook today with some chicken wings and it seemed to hold temp a little bit better when going at LOW and 375 at the end. I'll keep an eye on higher temps, and try keeping the probe in the middle of the grates before making any adjustments.

Why wouldn‘t you want to measure where the meat primarily goes on the grill? I place my calibration probe smack in the middle of the grate.

Because the temps further right of the grill probe are hotter, why would you want to calibrate the grill probe with another probe reading hotter?

Because the temps further right of the grill probe are hotter, why would you want to calibrate the grill probe with another probe reading hotter?
Because I primarily have my food on the grill further right of the grill probe. Unlike the food probes, you are not calibrating the RTD probe, you are adjusting the offset on the controller so that it more closely matches the actual temp where you cook in the grill. So if a calibration probe in the center of the grill reports 400° and the grill is set for 350°, I want to change the offset to -11% so the when the grill is set to 350°, the center of the grill should be closer to 350°.

Because I primarily have my food on the grill further right of the grill probe. Unlike the food probes, you are not calibrating the RTD probe, you are adjusting the offset on the controller so that it more closely matches the actual temp where you cook in the grill. So if a calibration probe in the center of the grill reports 400° and the grill is set for 350°, I want to change the offset to -11% so the when the grill is set to 350°, the center of the grill should be closer to 350°.
Doing this now as it happens. Nice timing.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the best thermometer to use will have an averaging function. Despite what the recteq controller reports, an actual graph of the temp over time inside the grill looks like WWWWWW The ThermoWorks Signals or Square DOT are two examples That average. Other brands/models may do this also, but these are the two that I’m familiar with. Failing that get multiple readings and average them manually will help get a temp that is close to average.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the best thermometer to use will have an averaging function. Despite what the recteq controller reports, an actual graph of the temp over time inside the grill looks like WWWWWW The ThermoWorks Signals or Square DOT are two examples That average. Other brands/models may do this also, but these are the two that I’m familiar with. Failing that get multiple readings and average them manually will help get a temp that is close to average.
Good information as well. Doing as RecTeq instructs for checking it I was like 10% off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gymanji
Back