Questions about RecTeq wifi

Smoked_Pizza

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Installed a wifi pid on my rt680 today... works great-- other then wifi distance problems.. If im a bit too far from my 680 with my phone-- i lose connectivity..

What am I not understanding? I have a mesh wifi setup at home.. I put one of the satellite wifi units in the garage so its close to the rt680.. It would seem to me that the rt680 should connect to my home wifi and then its the wifi that would then pass the data from the rt680's PID to my phone and then to the recteq app.. This would negate any dropped connections..... But that isnt what seems to happen.. It "seems" like the rt680 just communicates straight with my phone.. If im close enough i can connect to the grill.. But if im a bit too far (maybe 30 feet-other side of the house) -- i lose connection to the grill..

Ive already ordered one of the extending antennas that was shown here in the forums.... But I still wonder what is the wifi even used for? It almost seems like my rt680 is using BlueTooth to my phone instead of my home network..

Is there a way to have the PID connect through my wifi network and then transmit to my phone?

Installed a wifi pid on my rt680 today... works great-- other then wifi distance problems.. If im a bit too far from my 680 with my phone-- i lose connectivity..

What am I not understanding? I have a mesh wifi setup at home.. I put one of the satellite wifi units in the garage so its close to the rt680.. It would seem to me that the rt680 should connect to my home wifi and then its the wifi that would then pass the data from the rt680's PID to my phone and then to the recteq app.. This would negate any dropped connections..... But that isnt what seems to happen.. It "seems" like the rt680 just communicates straight with my phone.. If im close enough i can connect to the grill.. But if im a bit too far (maybe 30 feet-other side of the house) -- i lose connection to the grill..

Ive already ordered one of the extending antennas that was shown here in the forums.... But I still wonder what is the wifi even used for? It almost seems like my rt680 is using BlueTooth to my phone instead of my home network..

Is there a way to have the PID connect through my wifi network and then transmit to my phone?
Well, I'm certainly not a wifi guru, but it sounds like your phone is connecting via Bluetooth rather than through the wifi router or mesh. Not sure how you would resolve this issue; more wifi-savvy folks than I will need to pick up the ball from here. Good luck.

So got it all running.. My house has the tp-link deco 9, its a mesh network.... Couldn't get it to work.. Ended up getting a old 2.4ghz linksys router i had laying around the house.. Unplugged the tplink and put in the 2.4 linksys... Set my iphone to use the new linksys. Went to the recteq-- it connected right away though the app using the linksys.. All is good...

I then put my mesh system back online and plugged the linksys right into the mesh network ethernet plug in the back of one of the satallites.. All works great now... I have my mesh system for the house and i have the linksys 2.4 there standing by just for the recteq...

Hope that helps any others having problems with mesh systems..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back