Stampede Raising the 590

Bullporky

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I'm on vacation for the next week (at home) and am planning on modifying the 590 slightly... Between cooks of course.

When I purchased my 590, I also opted to add the "competition cart," but feel like it should be slightly higher (6-8".)

With the spare parts (legs and grate) I'm planning on making a riser to elevate the stampeded a few extra inches and adding a small storage shelf for tools and such atop the cart and below the stampede. It seems like it's doable, and I only need a few extra bolts if I use the metal from the legs. For the heck of it, I picked up a thin sheet of aluminum diamond plate and am thinking about wrapping the sides and back for a bit of extra flash (as I'd a device with horns needs it 🤣)

Total cost should be under $50 for bolts, diamond plate, and a few blades / wheels I was in need of anyway.

Has anyone attempted the same?

sounds interesting. It will change the CG. So that may be interesting if moving over uneven ground

Poking at the stampeded and the competition cart after its cooled down from earlier...

My Weber s670 has a grate hight of 37", with I find quite comfortable at 6' tall. The stampede however is 33.5" to the grate with the cart.

Using the high tech method of scrap 2x4, I've determined that if I add a 3.5" riser, it'll be much more comfortable for me personally. The down side is that there's won't be enough room for the shelf as I hoped. There's also the issue of the side gap when raising it up. Good thing I had a 3'x3' of diamond plate!

Anyone have an idea?

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_194906.jpg
    IMG_20200905_194906.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
I’ve never seen a competition cart in person (or a stampede for that matter), so this idea could be totally impractical, but instead of adding height between the barrel and the structure, is there a way to raise it from the bottom? Bigger wheels? Some kind of spacer between the wheels and the cart?

I’ve never seen a competition cart in person (or a stampede for that matter), so this idea could be totally impractical, but instead of adding height between the barrel and the structure, is there a way to raise it from the bottom? Bigger wheels? Some kind of spacer between the wheels and the cart?
Another member did just that. Blocks as spacers w/ longer bolts for the casters. May have been with a 700 but there's a thread around here. Looked good, too.

Poking at the stampeded and the competition cart after its cooled down from earlier...

My Weber s670 has a grate hight of 37", with I find quite comfortable at 6' tall. The stampede however is 33.5" to the grate with the cart.

Using the high tech method of scrap 2x4, I've determined that if I add a 3.5" riser, it'll be much more comfortable for me personally. The down side is that there's won't be enough room for the shelf as I hoped. There's also the issue of the side gap when raising it up. Good thing I had a 3'x3' of diamond plate!

Anyone have an idea?

Alright, you asked. First I'd drop it the 1/4-3/8" that causes that small gap across the front. You didn't say what "thin" for your diamond plate stock is dimensionally, but if it were sturdy enough I'd use it on the ends and back as the raising brackets in addition to hiding gaps, wouldn't need to use the chopped up original legs. Some nice button head stainless fasteners would look good there. If it is too flimsy material then the leg sections make sense. Then I'd fab a nice hinged table for the front (similar to the ones posted over time on here like mine and others) that would disguise the seam there. You'd then have a more useful table than the shallow one RT supplies which is short because of that pooch out on the front of the comp cart.

@Uncle Bob - That's exactly what i'm thinking on the raise - drop that fraction of the inch so the barrel meets the cart without a gap. Doing so will place the height of the stampede surface at the desired height (37") and equal to my Weber.

The diamond plate is a 3'x3' and .072" thick. I'd consider this more "decorative" than sturdy, so I'm going for a leg chop :cool:

Once I mocked it up with the 2x4s last evening, and seeing that there wasn't enough room for a shelf (unless i notched the front of the cart down to the internal support ledge and that'd only get me a few inches) I, too, realized that the new height would let me add a decidedly larger shelf. Maybe it's a blessing that RecTeq hasn't had them in stock :unsure:

The shelf posts on the forum have inspired me, and i am thinking of a 12" or 16" stainless bracket like this. I'll have 12" between the upper barrel edge and the "crease" in the competition cart, so it seems reasonable that a larger shelf should work. Even if the shelf extended down a bit further, it might not look bad. This cutting board might work, if i trim the depth.

As for the stainless button heads - I'm betting you're referring to the black screws used to hold the internal ledge on the cart. If so, it would look pretty sick! While it could look awesome, I'm toying with just cutting the diamond plate so it sits 1/16 or so above the screw heads to avoid that issue. Not sure yet, but i might have to check out the big box store to see what they have.

@Clm65 & @mooncusser2k - Good call on the wheel spacers. That'd have been an easier solution. I was hoping to have a self with the raise, and block out the sides with the diamond plate, which got me going down this path, only to have to go a different direction because adding a shelf won't work. Knowing the issue now, I'd likely have just added the spacers you both suggested.

Hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it! And while I fully admit this project is not practical at all, I've got vacation time, shiny stuff, and have always gotten a kick out of customizing my smokers in the past and working on the patio.

A couple things to look for on those shelf brackets. 304 grade stainless (as your example) is the best choice, others say stainless without specifying grade, probably should be avoided. There are two types of release "buttons", the one you referenced is what I would call short releases. Same style bracket also has the releases that extend longer toward the front end of the bracket frame.....it will be a better/easier feel for release once the shelf surface is mounted. Lastly, check the reviews for the one you think you want. When I did mine a couple years ago some of the choices were criticized for not extending to a full 90 degrees, thus allowing the opened shelf to slant forward like it was sagging. The ones I got hold a true 90. I think 12" will likely fit best as the RT shelf is on 10 and you're adding roughly 3".

This is the bracket. That board is 1/2" thick if they i.d. it correctly and has a textured surface. I've seen where others have used it on a RT though no longer term reports. My personal experience with that type material is that the texture will show marks over time, but most other surfaces will likely do that too, although the powder coat on the steel shelf I used has held up well. Also, sometimes at that thickness the plastic (probably UHMW) will distort, sometimes it won't. I didn't read the feedbacks but that might be worth checking.

I think it's all done (for now!)

Thanks for the link to the brackets @Uncle Bob

I purchased a 30x18 HDPE cutting board for the shelf and had enough for a drink ledge at the bar 😎

In total it's raised up 3.5" to a hight at the grate of 37". Had to wrap it i. Diamond plate to cover the side gaps, and with the leftover metal, I fashioned myself a pig (Bull-Porky after all!)

No permanent mods or holes drilled on the 590 at all. Used existing holes and RTV450 where needed.

Not to shabby if I say so. Thanks to all who posted links and advice.

PXL_20200910_205135796.jpg
PXL_20200910_205215505.jpg
PXL_20200910_205308464.jpg

Do you feel like the board is rigid enough for the 30" length?

I'm thinking about buying a 1/2"x12"x36" sheet of black HDPE to make a shelf for my Bull, but I'm a little worried about it having no support in the middle.
I am quite happy with the 1/2" at the 30" span. I've experienced no issues thus far. I use it mainly as a wrapping location (no chopping or the like.)

I've not seen warping, sagging, etc that cause me concern. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to do this again exactly as I previously did it.

Hope this helps @ghuns

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back