RasberryPi Controller

It would work without connectivity to the recteq servers. No internet connection required!

It could provide 2.4 and 5G connectivity.
It could offer more than just 2 probes to be monitored.

But more importantly, it would allow me to program cookbooks.
1h @ 225, 2h @ 275, etc.

It would work without connectivity to the recteq servers. No internet connection required!

It could provide 2.4 and 5G connectivity.
It could offer more than just 2 probes to be monitored.

But more importantly, it would allow me to program cookbooks.
1h @ 225, 2h @ 275, etc.

I think most of us would be interested in that if you provided a parts list, and instructions. :cool:

Sounds like a fun project. I know little about using a pi but this may be my motivation to learn!

Interesting.. I'm sure RecTeq will rip off the idea and programming if released here in no time and force those to buy a new smoker that includes the changes. Keep it tight.. maybe a private group admitted after review.

Well, it would be super easy for them to allow cookbook/planned temp changes, at specified intervals, very easily in their app.

I don't understand their desire to use their servers to middle-man a grill and user. I would have gone for a local-lan/direct wifi connection from the start. There's no servers for them to maintain.

@rijndael just curious, but why not use PiFire already?

I plan to use it for the bulk of the project. But I probably won't use a Zero W for the base, it'll be one of the 802.11ac capable versions. I *think* the Zero W is 2.4 only.

I have a spare Pi sitting around. Sounds like a cool project, let me know if I can help.

This sounds like a great project. I hope you keep us up to date on the project.

I don't understand their desire to use their servers to middle-man a grill and user. I would have gone for a local-lan/direct wifi connection from the start. There's no servers for them to maintain.
I imagine part of it is the ability to monitor/control the grill when you're not on the network (eg, when you're out running errands, etc). Same reason why other smart devices go thru a server.

I imagine part of it is the ability to monitor/control the grill when you're not on the network (eg, when you're out running errands, etc). Same reason why other smart devices go thru a server.

Yes, that's likely it. Too bad that means a poor user experience for everyone when their servers are overloaded, like during holidays.

IMO, a better way is to detect if the user and grill are local, then prefer direct to grill comms, if not, use the server. It would help reduce their server load for remote users, plus it keeps things running smoothly for everyone who's local, which is the vast majority of users.

I never worry about that kind of thing because I VPN back to my home network when I'm offsite, so it's moot.

Last edited:
Yes, that's likely it. Too bad that means a poor user experience for everyone when their servers are overloaded, like during holidays.

IMO, a better way is to detect if the user and grill are local, then prefer direct to grill comms, if not, use the server. It would help reduce their server load for remote users, plus it keeps things running smoothly for everyone who's local, which is the vast majority of users.

I never worry about that kind of thing because I VPN back to my home network when I'm offsite, so it's moot.
I hear you. To me the answer is for them to scale up the server side to address the issues. Let's face it, this wouldn't even be a big topic of conversation if the issues didn't happen in the first place.

You're correct that a VPN is an option for some, but that's not in the cards for the vast majority of potential buyers.

To me the answer is for them to scale up the server side to address the issues.

I have a product that was sold to another company. The new company just shut the servers down with almost no warning (ok ... it was 1 week's notice) and left the owners with nearly worthless devices.

I tend to favor devices which will continue to work even when the servers no longer exist. I'm not anti-cloud, I'm anti-cloud when it's not needed, and it's usually not.

I hear you on the VPN, I'm on outlier.

Last edited:
The app should definitely connect locally if the grill is on the same network. Otherwise, use their servers.
I agree about having that as an option - can do it with Roomba, for example.

Making it automatic can get a bit more complicated. I put smart devices on a separate guest network, and my phone is normally on the regular network.

Interesting.. I'm sure RecTeq will rip off the idea and programming if released here in no time and force those to buy a new smoker that includes the changes. Keep it tight.. maybe a private group admitted after review.
I have been on these forums for a few days now. My biggest take away is that you sir are a whiner…. I hope RT sends you a 1250 so you will STFU, or bring something valuable to the table. It is obvious you love RT or you would not be here trolling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back