Removing pellets during non-use

crashvt2003

What do you guys do with the pellets in the hopper when you won't be using the grill for a couple weeks or more? I keep my grill in the garage, so it's not exposed to the elements, but I'm not sure whether they'll be ok in the hopper or if I should use the shopvac and get them into a bucket. What do you guys think?

What do you guys do with the pellets in the hopper when you won't be using the grill for a couple weeks or more? I keep my grill in the garage, so it's not exposed to the elements, but I'm not sure whether they'll be ok in the hopper or if I should use the shopvac and get them into a bucket. What do you guys think?
I just leave them in the hopper so far no issues for months on end out side no grill cover but under a open porch. If choose to remove them from the hopper on my Bull I just use a large sour cream cup to scoop out 97% of them out of the hopper, that's also what I use in the drip bucket for a liner to catch the grease drippings but not the same cup.

Last edited:
I leave the pellets in the hopper all the time. i have never removed the pellets. My 700 is outside with the cover on it. All weather in NC and so far have not have any issues.

I leave the pellets in the hopper all the time. i have never removed the pellets. My 700 is outside with the cover on it. All weather in NC and so far have not have any issues.
Same-in UT through feet of snow too. leave them and chill out

Ditto in upstate NY. Im not sure i would do it even IF there was some type of empty valve - Lazy, lazy, lazy ??

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I don’t need to go through any extra trouble.

As for why I may not use it multiple times a week, that’s a wife thing... and well... it’s just not worth fighting over it.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I don’t need to go through any extra trouble.

As for why I may not use it multiple times a week, that’s a wife thing... and well... it’s just not worth fighting over it.
Cook some amazing BBQ and she will beg for it every night. Just sayin’ ??

I had a Traeger that stopped working. Every time I went to use it, there would be an error code, often different. I gave up and ordered a 590, which I just received. In the meantime, I called Traeger to try to fix the problem and they told me not to leave pellets in the hopper because the weather will ruin them, even though I'm in California and I always keep the cover on. She saidthe pellets will turn to sludge and ruin the auger.

They don't in my RT-700 is all I can say to that. (NWOhio)
Sounds like it's not very air tight.

If your pit is covered and in a dry place, I see no need to empty pellets. I never have removed pellets except for vacuuming the dust so as not to clog the auger tube. However, if you live ocean side that is a different situation, and probably not a bad idea to remove them during long rest periods. Or if you have the cover, but the pit is in a rainy environment. (mine is under a porch roof when not in use.) Better to make sure your pellet storage is in a dry place, like a sealable storage box.

My Bull is outside, covered, not under a porch and I have not had any problems. I will admit I use the Bull at least once every two weeks, usually several times a week. I use Lumber Jack pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back