Bull Resolved! So this is the first thing I see... after unboxing

Well...regardless of how mad you are at the moment, I think you should give them a chance to correct the situation first. Sometimes ,(alot of times actually) we don't sit back and realise that, as they say, "shit happens".
See what their reply and or offer is. Btw stainless steel scratches easier than one might think, so regardless of what your decisions end up being , keep that with ya for future reference. Goodluck.

Well...regardless of how mad you are at the moment, I think you should give them a chance to correct the situation first. Sometimes ,(alot of times actually) we don't sit back and realise that, as they say, "shit happens".
See what their reply and or offer is. Btw stainless steel scratches easier than one might think, so regardless of what your decisions end up being , keep that with ya for future reference. Goodluck.
Na, I'll just get my money back. So for future reference... are you saying don't buy things on the internet?

Last edited:
This has been an interesting thread, I get both sides. But if i honestly, in my opinion (not to diminish actual feelings) got overly upset with everything that showed up here not in perfect condition. I would spend more time returning things than enjoying life. Heck with this one you could have finished putting it together, used it to cook on same day and still returned it a month later if you really felt it wasnt worth it. Nothing in life is 100% except knowing you are slowly dying after taking your first breath. Life is hard enough, stress less, bbq more, enjoy those you care about.

Na, I'll just get my money back. So for future reference... are you saying don't buy things on the internet?
No I'm pla
That's your choice and option. Also a understandable one. I get it. I also get that if a product isn't up to par, a company should have the opportunity to make it right with the customer before that final choice is made. I think you're being a bit over-reactive as well as throwing away a 6yr "bumper to bumper " warranty*
Again, you're completely within your Rights to get a refund. I think if we took a poll the vast majority would atleast wait until the Company makes a response/offer/ exchange... As well as the discount or extras that this particular company's Customer Service is famous for. Plus stainless really does mark up fairly easily. That's what I was saying.

Until another poster advised their unit came in perfect condition I was sitting on the sidelines wondering if R-T's manufacturing process was one whereby they just simply do not produce units without varying degrees of imperfections. I know nothing about metal fab and finishing but my Bull (purchased in December) leaves me with the impression that they simply don't strive for a perfect finish. Mine arrived with scratches of varying degrees in several areas.

I wasn't certain about pitting, or whatever is the technical term, but I just now checked mine and I do see some minor areas on the end caps, though they appear less pronounced than what your pics depict.

Originally, I wasn't going to reply to this thread because I didn't want to leave the impression that you should accept the flaws, and that truly is not my aim. I'm an odd bird where I don't want spots on my dress clothes but I like smoke stains on my smokers and I enjoy seeing airborne particles on my drones, lol.

I hope you can get this worked-out to your satisfaction, especially given that now I know someone received their smoker in perfect condition.

Last edited:
I understand exactly how you feel. Mine also came with scratches and even a broken rivet on the heat deflector bracket. I was not happy either and dang near sent it back. In fact I probably would have had I not already taken everything out of the packaging. But after letting myself cool down for a couple days I contacted RecTec. I was able to take care of the rivet myself and they gave me a credit I was able to use for a front shelf.

In the end these are Chinese-built smokers that are made with significantly better materials than competitors in the same price range. And they are going to get dirty. I don't notice the imperfections anymore, and nobody but me knows they are even there. That's not to excuse RecTec, especially when they refuse to publish any reviews that point out problems or flaws. It's not really acceptable. But, I would suggest you think about it for a day or two and then see what RecTec has to say. I'm sure they would exchange it if you'd like but they may make it worth your while to keep it. Or maybe not. No cooker will be perfect. I came to the conclusion that I'd rather live with some cosmetic flaws over the issues so many others in this price range have.

You may have noticed on this forum that I have not been shy about calling out RecTec when I feel they deserve it. Even so, I do not regret the purchase and have absolutely loved cooking on it.

Na, I'll just get my money back.
I understand exactly how you feel. Mine also came with scratches and even a broken rivet on the heat deflector bracket. I was not happy either and dang near sent it back. In fact I probably would have had I not already taken everything out of the packaging. But after letting myself cool down for a couple days I contacted RecTec. I was able to take care of the rivet myself and they gave me a credit I was able to use for a front shelf.

In the end these are Chinese-built smokers that are made with significantly better materials than competitors in the same price range. And they are going to get dirty. I don't notice the imperfections anymore, and nobody but me knows they are even there. That's not to excuse RecTec, especially when they refuse to publish any reviews that point out problems or flaws. It's not really acceptable. But, I would suggest you think about it for a day or two and then see what RecTec has to say. I'm sure they would exchange it if you'd like but they may make it worth your while to keep it. Or maybe not. No cooker will be perfect. I came to the conclusion that I'd rather live with some cosmetic flaws over the issues so many others in this price range have.

You may have noticed on this forum that I have not been shy about calling out RecTec when I feel they deserve it. Even so, I do not regret the purchase and have absolutely loved cooking on it.
Thanks, I just got up this morning and read this. Not sure what I am going to do yet. This is my THIRD attempt at getting a replacement pellet grill for my Traeger... Bought another Traeger from their roadshow and returned it after assembly. It wouldn't even smoke! Second attempt: Weber SmokeFire. Refused shipment. Now this one. It has been almost 2 months since my original Traeger went out. I think I have grill fatigue.

Until another poster advised their unit came in perfect condition I was sitting on the sidelines wondering if R-T's manufacturing process was one whereby they just simply do not produce units without varying degrees of imperfections. I know nothing about metal fab and finishing but my Bull (purchased in December) leaves me with the impression that they simply don't strive for a perfect finish. Mine arrived with scratches of varying degrees in several areas.

I wasn't certain about pitting, or whatever is the technical term, but I just now checked mine and I do see some minor areas on the end caps, though they appear less pronounced than what your pics depict.

Originally, I wasn't going to reply to this thread because I didn't want to leave the impression that you should accept the flaws, and that truly is not my aim. I'm an odd bird where I don't want spots on my dress clothes but I like smoke stains on my smokers and I enjoy seeing airborne particles on my drones, lol.

I hope you can get this worked-out to your satisfaction, especially given that now I know someone received their smoker in perfect condition.
I appreciate your kind words. Thank you.

No I'm pla
That's your choice and option. Also a understandable one. I get it. I also get that if a product isn't up to par, a company should have the opportunity to make it right with the customer before that final choice is made. I think you're being a bit over-reactive as well as throwing away a 6yr "bumper to bumper " warranty*
Again, you're completely within your Rights to get a refund. I think if we took a poll the vast majority would atleast wait until the Company makes a response/offer/ exchange... As well as the discount or extras that this particular company's Customer Service is famous for. Plus stainless really does mark up fairly easily. That's what I was saying.
Hi Buckeye. Everything that you have said here is completely reasonable and true. I was in no mood for anything at all last night. Shouldn't have even been posting in the state I was in. I will speak with them and see what they have to say. The scratch on the lid was the least issue to me. It is the pronounced pitting on the body of the unit itself that really bothers me. So we will see. Thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

This has been an interesting thread, I get both sides. But if i honestly, in my opinion (not to diminish actual feelings) got overly upset with everything that showed up here not in perfect condition. I would spend more time returning things than enjoying life. Heck with this one you could have finished putting it together, used it to cook on same day and still returned it a month later if you really felt it wasnt worth it. Nothing in life is 100% except knowing you are slowly dying after taking your first breath. Life is hard enough, stress less, bbq more, enjoy those you care about.
I appreciate what you have said here. I am going to see what they say. I just did not want to assemble the unit and then have to try to disassemble it later. Not sure on how it goes back. So this way it stays in the box. This is one of the problems with buying things from long distances away...

My theory, when you buy "premium" you expect premium. If I bought a car with scratches, it would need to be fixed. If I bought a $1500 guitar with scratches, it goes back.

While I bought mine and it arrived in perfect shape (not the box) the alarms still don't work. Not real happy there myself. I've been assured that will get fixed. If this were my grill, I'd have them replace it. These things are great good (fix the alarms and I'll change that)! I switched from a Traeger too..

My theory, when you buy "premium" you expect premium. If I bought a car with scratches, it would need to be fixed. If I bought a $1500 guitar with scratches, it goes back.

While I bought mine and it arrived in perfect shape (not the box) the alarms still don't work. Not real happy there myself. I've been assured that will get fixed. If this were my grill, I'd have them replace it. These things are great good (fix the alarms and I'll change that)! I switched from a Traeger too..
Yes, I am not a perfectionist, but it is the pitting that is really bugging me. It just looks bad. Especially against the stainless all around it. I have a 3500.00 PRS Custom 24 guitar. It has no scratches! Some things need to be right. I am not sure what they could offer me to overlook those pits. I bought my wife a 7K Wolf stove... it also has NO scratches. God have mercy on us all!

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpeg
    IMG_0424.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:

These 3rd party box damage stories are pretty common here. And is something to consider (dents/scratches) when discussing this topic.
Not only does it help to get your order fixed, it helps RecTec determine how the damage was created. Maybe even determine if a change is needed in their Network.
P.s. (also a 36+yr Guitar player here) haha.

These 3rd party box damage stories are pretty common here. And is something to consider (dents/scratches) when discussing this topic.
Not only does it help to get your order fixed, it helps RecTec determine how the damage was created. Maybe even determine if a change is needed in their Network.
P.s. (also a 36+yr Guitar player here) haha.
Guitars and grills! ... and Girls. (Uh, I mean Girl... My beautiful wife of 20 years.)

After reading all the responses, I decided to go take a look at mine. I do indeed have some of the same marks on mine, just not nearly as bad. I guess I just didn't even notice them. Hopefully they are able to take care of you, although I totally understand how you feel. Maybe if this was the first replacement, you'd have a little more patience. But two other failures kind of takes that away. Good luck!

After reading all the responses, I decided to go take a look at mine. I do indeed have some of the same marks on mine, just not nearly as bad. I guess I just didn't even notice them. Hopefully they are able to take care of you, although I totally understand how you feel. Maybe if this was the first replacement, you'd have a little more patience. But two other failures kind of takes that away. Good luck!
Thanks buddy. I feel better this morning. Zach from Rec Tec is going to call me in a bit. I don't know what to do. I don't really want to have to ship it back and then wait another 2 WEEKS... Many say they will compensate me in some way. Not sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadefarm
Back