Rib Dilemma

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have a dilemma on how to make some BB ribs today. My wife's sis, husband and daughter have been at our house for a week, from back east. They head home tonight. The decision to go out for dinner lost out to me making ribs. The husband used to love my ribs from decades ago, that I seared on a gas grill, wrapped to tender, tightened up and sauced. They were near fall off the bone.

These days, I smoke them on the RT, sometimes wrap, sometimes not, depending on how I feel.

I think he liked the moistness and tenderness of my past methods.
My current methods, while not dry, are "dry-er" than the past method.

I'm on the fence on whether to try to do something like I had done in the past or just run with my current methods.

Comments? Ideas?

I have a dilemma on how to make some BB ribs today. My wife's sis, husband and daughter have been at our house for a week, from back east. They head home tonight. The decision to go out for dinner lost out to me making ribs. The husband used to love my ribs from decades ago, that I seared on a gas grill, wrapped to tender, tightened up and sauced. They were near fall off the bone.

These days, I smoke them on the RT, sometimes wrap, sometimes not, depending on how I feel.

I think he liked the moistness and tenderness of my past methods.
My current methods, while not dry, are "dry-er" than the past method.

I'm on the fence on whether to try to do something like I had done in the past or just run with my current methods.

Comments? Ideas?
I agree, he's probably not used to eating ribs or much less anything that someone takes the time and attention to like us on this forum. But...as a fellow perfectionist I know you want to get it right so I suggest the following things, take it as just one man's advice:

-After removing the membrane, I now roll my ribs like you would roll up a sleeping bag, I do it twice both ways, I think this helps to break up connective tissue some and yields a better pullback, which to guys like your bro in law, make them seem like something out of the magazines

- I'm just going to assume you're talking baby-back, if so go more 2-2-1 or even 2-1.5-2, I say that to mean a broad guide, for you to find the nice in between of a firmer hold to bone/bite but still juicy, you're going to have to rely a lot on the bend test. But I've found you can reverse some of the "mushiness" if your wrap is too long by finishing them a little longer unwrapped.

Attachments

• 09513879-F050-4F1E-BB2F-FF271EFCBF88.jpeg
    09513879-F050-4F1E-BB2F-FF271EFCBF88.jpeg
    821 KB · Views: 64
Did you do those on the RT or regular grill?
My wife did them on the stove top. Just kinda fried them up and then put a lid on them for about 5-10 minutes while we were setting the table. She put the balsamic vinegar on just before putting them in a serving dish, then crumbled feta on top.

We usually fix them broiled in the oven. But this was good too. One restaurant we go to got a new chef that deep fries them. They are good that way, but probably not all that healthy.

How long on the wrap and what did you put in with the ribs in the wrap, if anything?
Looks amazing...
I smoked them on LO for an hour, then bumped to 250F for 3 or 3 1/2 hours until the color was right, then in the foil covered tray with a splash of water for maybe 45-60 minutes or just until the ribs were tender. Then put them on the grates of the RT 700 and cranked it to 350F until they "air fried" a bit darker and tightened up. Cut the temperature to LO and put sauce on them, and removed when the sauce was tight.

When cooking ribs to "fall off the bone" tenderness, I sometimes get some 'blowout' ribs. No problem. I serve the pretty ones to the guests and save the others for me and my wife. The window of time for being perfect tenderness, regardless of how you like them, is very narrow when wrapped. Like +/- 10 minutes or less. But every cook is different. So, a fixed time is not reliable. I'd say somewhere between 30 minutes and 1. 5 hours for the wrapped part of the cook, depending on temperature and the ribs themselves.

As you may have guessed, I'm bad with time, since I don't cook by time. I use color and tenderness for BBQ. The guests like fall off the bone. I like a little more tug. I cooked for them.

Last edited:
My wife did them on the stove top. Just kinda fried them up and then put a lid on them for about 5-10 minutes while we were setting the table. She put the balsamic vinegar on just before putting them in a serving dish, then crumbled feta on top.

We usually fix them broiled in the oven. But this was good too. One restaurant we go to got a new chef that deep fries them. They are good that way, but probably not all that healthy.
Dude, you're the bomb (or your wife is)! I'm trying it out on guests this weekend with a standing port rib roast. I'll report back... Wish me luck!

Dude, you're the bomb (or your wife is)! I'm trying it out on guests this weekend with a standing port rib roast. I'll report back... Wish me luck!
On the balsamic vinegar, I didn't get it quite right. We put a balsamic glaze on there. You can find it in some supermarkets, Italian stores, or just make it from regular balsamic vinegar, by simmering in a pan and adding a sugar, such as brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc., to taste and simmer to thicken. The taste of store-bought balsamic glaze is sweet with tart finish. A little goes a long way.

Maybe Beth can help with some more details on how to make a balsamic glaze.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan Hollister
Back