Safe to Cook in the Garage?

crashvt2003

Is it safe for me to cook with the grill in the garage with it raining outside? I'm not talking about it being deep inside, but right at the entrance, just enough to keep it out of the rain. I'd keep the door open obviously, but are there any risks I'm not thinking of? They are calling for rain this weekend where I live, and I'd really like to still be able to cook my beef ribs.

Yes. That's how I do mine. Just like any cooker. You need to make sure you're well ventilated.

As long as your door is up, smoker is near it, and not around anything flammable you'll be good...

Practice smart cooking.

Yes. That's how I do mine. Just like any cooker. You need to make sure you're well ventilated.

As long as your door is up, smoker is near it, and not around anything flammable you'll be good...

Practice smart cooking.

That's good to know. Thanks for confirming that I should be good to go. Have gotten myself so excited about cooking the dinosaur ribs this weekend, that I was really bummed to see the weather forecast go bad.

Haha yeah man I dont blame you.. I would be feeling the same way... But cook away brother and share your cook with us..

The next thing I would advise is to not leave it unwatched in a area like a garage. Maybe think about getting one of those foldable canopies, these grills will function just fine in the rain too.

Last edited:
I just opened my garage door and put my RT-700 right at the door way. My garage has a nice overhang which allowed for a bit more protection. Then opened the normal door in the back of the garage. It gave a great cross breeze and without any issues of smoke being in the garage.

The next thing I would advise is to not leave it unwatched in a area like a garage. Maybe think about getting one of those foldable canopies, these grills will function just fine in the rain too.
I second the canopy. I used one for years on my patio. I don't remember if it was 8x8 or 10x10 but it was only 50 bucks at Walmart.

It’s not really dangerous with basic precautions, but if it’s an attached garage, you might be surprised how Smokey the house gets even if obvious doors to the house etc are closed.

I thought about this too. I’m not wild about leaving mine on the patio when I’m not using it. I think about the sprinklers hitting it and wasps building nests in it etc. Leaving it in the garage would be nice and rolling it out when needed. I keep seeing videos of people using theirs inside and wonder why there is not a ton of smoke filling the room.

Last edited:
How about getting something like an easy up shelter. Thats what I use when the weather is bad. Not good in crazy windy storms but summer rain, its good. You can even get them with sides, to stop any wind. They have weights to keep the whole thing stable. I use tie downs instead of weights. Just a thought. Smoke stays outside. ??

Hi Harbor Freight's canopy work for me.
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_200945386[1].jpg
    IMG_20200502_200945386[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 139
I would love to get a canopy, but I'm too short and they are a pain in the rear to put up when you're short like me. I have a weird setup, where I usually setup the grill outside our front door, but it's totally exposed. We get some of the smell in the house, but it's a good smell, so I'm not too worried.

I do have a big fan that I can setup in the garage... that would probably help to blow the smoke or carbon monoxide outside versus the garage.

Is it safe for me to cook with the grill in the garage with it raining outside? I'm not talking about it being deep inside, but right at the entrance, just enough to keep it out of the rain. I'd keep the door open obviously, but are there any risks I'm not thinking of? They are calling for rain this weekend where I live, and I'd really like to still be able to cook my beef ribs.
Not the best situation, but with common sense may work. The rain really won't hurt the grill in my two-year experience. To the point I'm responding about, The smoke will stain your garage something bad, and is hard to remove from the walls and ceiling. You won't notice it right away, but in time you'll see the dingy, but then it's too late.

Yes ?? BUT if any of your return air is in the garage it will be sucking CM into the house, plus the smoke will get on the walls,maybe leak into the attic..Long term do you really want your garage to smell like a brisket ???

Whether your garage is separate from the house or attached would also be a big factor.
I’d like my whole house to smell like a brisket. There is really some amazing smell when you open the door to your smoker and get the first smell of cooks gone by. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srbbates
Back