Smoked Halibut

Dadbo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
  2. Stampede
Having come into another good quantity of Alaskan halibut, looking to possibly try something new if it is worth doing. Smoked Halibut. Just wondering if any of you smokers have smoked halibut. Is it worth it or not really appropriate? We have plenty of halibut recipes we regularly go to but thought now with this smoker, should we???

I have to say, since getting this 590 and Bullseye this fall, it has been a fun journey learning new methods thanks to you all. Appreciate your time & input as always.

Tom

Smoking halibut is a dicey proposition IME. I’ve tried it a couple of times, but wasn’t very satisfied with the result. Halibut has very little fat in it and tends to dry out quickly.

The best I was able to do was a relatively low-temperature smoke (about 140F) in a stick burner. Unfortunately, the pellet grills won’t go down that low. If I were to try it on a pellet grill, I would use the lowest temperature available and watch it carefully.

Now, just cooking halibut to serve hot should be doable. You could freeze meal-size portions for use as desired. I’d still cook it at 180-200F to get a little smoke and pull it at an internal temperature of about 130F. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes and serve. YMMV

Good luck.

Smoked Halibut is a favorite of mine.

mix desired seasoning with some olive oil, put in a bag to marinate (be sure to coat all of the fish) in the fridge for 1-2 hours.

get the smoker to temp, 225º-250º and smoke to an internal temp of 145º, take off and let rest for about 10-15 minutes covered and serve.

Make sure to call me when dinner is ready.

Having come into another good quantity of Alaskan halibut, looking to possibly try something new if it is worth doing. Smoked Halibut.

Tom

I've had about the same experience as Jim said above. Love halibut, so I figured smoked halibut would be even better, like so many other things are. However, it just didn't work out that way, and halibut is so expensive to ruin. So I usually do a bit of smoke while grilling it hot in order to keep it moist.
Good luck, and enjoy!

I appreciate your experience with halibut and smoking it. Its a treat to have when we get some, it appears best to use my more conventional methods and recipes for it. Thanks all and hope you all have a great holiday season!

Late to the party, but here's how we do ours:
Soak / Marinate it in milk over night
Coat it in Butter just before we put it on at 250 for about an hour +/- 'til it gets to 160 internal

Late to the party, but here's how we do ours:
Soak / Marinate it in milk over night
Coat it in Butter just before we put it on at 250 for about an hour +/- 'til it gets to 160 internal
Thank you for this. I have some more and will give this a go!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dkroll
Back