Smoked Pulled Pork - Not BBQ, But....

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I'm smoking some pulled pork this morning. It's not BBQ, since I roasted/braised the shoulders trayed and covered in the oven last night (at 400F ~ 4-4.5 hrs). I let them cool down a bit and pulled them and put the meat back into trays. I have them on the Bull this morning at LO for smoke and will run it up to 400F to brown and create some "bits-o-bark". You can control the amount of smoke flavor by how long you leave it on and how often you turn the meat over. Frankly, you can get much more smoke flavor and more evenly this way than a traditional BBQ shoulder. This morning, I'm using a 60% Ultimate Blend (RecTec) and 40% Cherry (Lumberjack) mix of pellets, mainly because I need to use the UB and that was what was loaded in the hopper. Otherwise, I would us Apple/Cherry.

I went to this method when I was working and had to cater an event the evening of the next day. I had a choice, either take a day off to run a komado all day or cook it in the oven while at work and put some smoke on it after work. It ain't the same, but it's still damn good for our main use, which is pulled pork tacos. Basically, there's no heavy bark, but there can be a a bit of crunchy tips of the pulled pork if you run the temp up high. This is the first time I'm using the Bull for this method.
20200210_080935.jpg

Last edited:
I put about a 1/2 cup of rub into about a quart of liquid and heat to a boil, then pour it over the meat before/during smoking to add flavor and moisture. I often use canned chicken broth because its convenient and fairly neutral flavor. You can use canned pork broth, apple juice, or just water if you like.
20200210_084912.jpg

Last edited:
1 1/2 hrs @ 180F and this is what it looked like. Bits of crunchy, not quite bark. I turned it over again and I'm letting it go another hour on the smoke and then I'll run the temp up high to make some faux bark.
20200210_110430.jpg

Last edited:
20-30 mins after cranking it up to 400F, this is what I like it to look like when finished. Bits of crunch and moisture in the bottom, but not soupy.
20200210_131457.jpg

Last edited:
These are some nice, more advanced, techniques. For those just getting started in this outdoor cooking stuff, this is similar to the answers like; there is no set time for a certain sized protein at a certain temp to be finished, it'll be done when it's done. Or, what's the "right" temperature for the meat to be for tender and juicy (e.g. 203)? And so on......

Hopefully the neophytes will see this and file it away in their memory banks for future use. Another technique I've used for crisping up the pulled pork is to drop it on the flat top (fake carnitas) with some animal fat. If additional seasoning is needed, or mixing in some chunked up peppers of choice, it's also a good time to introduce them to the pile on the griddle (or cast iron skillet). Lots of ways to get to the desired goal, just need to play with them to see what works best for whomever.

Well, as of this morning it's all gone but two 8 oz frozen vacuum packs. I had initially thought I'd restock our freezer with pulled pork, mostly for taco nights. But my wife took half ( a full shoulder) to the OFH (ol' folks home) where her mother is recuping from a stroke. Apparently, she fed a bunch of patients and staff with PP sliders. Then, we met a friend of hers for dinner and my wife told me to give her some of the vac packs of PP. I guess this is why we do this; to make people happy. My wife is really likes making people happy. She said the PP was a big hit at the OFH.

Last edited:
I'm smoking some pulled pork this morning. It's not BBQ, since I roasted/braised the shoulders trayed and covered in the oven last night (at 400F ~ 4-4.5 hrs). I let them cool down a bit and pulled them and put the meat back into trays. I have them on the Bull this morning at LO for smoke and will run it up to 400F to brown and create some "bits-o-bark". You can control the amount of smoke flavor by how long you leave it on and how often you turn the meat over. Frankly, you can get much more smoke flavor and more evenly this way than a traditional BBQ shoulder. This morning, I'm using a 60% Ultimate Blend (RecTec) and 40% Cherry (Lumberjack) mix of pellets, mainly because I need to use the UB and that was what was loaded in the hopper. Otherwise, I would us Apple/Cherry.

I went to this method when I was working and had to cater an event the evening of the next day. I had a choice, either take a day off to run a komado all day or cook it in the oven while at work and put some smoke on it after work. It ain't the same, but it's still damn good for our main use, which is pulled pork tacos. Basically, there's no heavy bark, but there can be a a bit of crunchy tips of the pulled pork if you run the temp up high. This is the first time I'm using the Bull for this method. View attachment 2124
I have used this method with pork butts but added more smoke with a smoke tube. Have had better compliments than doing traditional BBQ. Very moist and tender but as you note the bark is not heavy.

It looks great, how would you compare the smoke level?
Best Greg

I went to this method when I was working and had to cater an event the evening of the next day. I had a choice, either take a day off to run a komado all day or cook it in the oven while at work and put some smoke on it after work. It ain't the same, but it's still damn good for our main use, which is pulled pork tacos. Basically, there's no heavy bark, but there can be a a bit of crunchy tips of the pulled pork if you run the temp up high. This is the first time I'm using the Bull for this method. View attachment 2124
Hey, looks great. Did you ever use one of those pellet tubes for extra smoke?

Gotbbq,
Nah, I just didn't get around to it. I'm getting used to the milder, smoother taste of pellets and I'm liking it.

It looks great, how would you compare the smoke level?
Best Greg

Greg,
The thing about this method is you can get any level of smoke you want. I was getting carried away with the smoke flavor a year ago, using my komado. People were going negative on me. I think I've backed off and the smoother smoke from pellets is a good thing. Longer smoke with multiple mixings of the meat in the trays and more smoke flavor. I'm just saying, you can over do it too. But you can get more smoke flavor this way than traditional long smokes. The difference is the bark.

Thanks, If it ever stopping raining here.... I will give it a go.
Greg

Roanie
How much pork for this recipe?
Best Greg

Greg,
I buy pork shoulder from Costco in the cryovac packs. There are two shoulders in the pack. I don't look at the weights anymore. Maybe 4-5 lbs per shoulder? Each shoulder fills in a half restaurant tray. Our oven is an old small one that won't hold a full size restaurant tray. I double up the disposable aluminum trays and set them on cookie sheets in case they overflow their fluids as they cook. Lesson learned from messing up the wife's oven. Also, take care to not puncture the tray with your Thermapen when probing. Another lesson learned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back