RT-1250 Smoking 8 Pork Butts

Erick85

We have a family event coming up and I’m going to be smoking 8 butts, 8-10 lbs each. I know they’ll fit on my 1250, but for those that have done this amount before, will I need to increase my cook time? I would think so, but want to see what others have experienced.

Thanks!

Aren't they each isolated events, all happening at the same time inside your smoker? If they're not touching each other, and the smoker is chugging along at 225, why would it take longer? Have you found or tested where your hotspots in the grill are? That would maybe finish up a butt or two sooner than the ones furthest away from the hotspots, but I still think the ballpark for time is the same.

I suppose you could argue that more contents of your smoker could act as a bigger "heat sink", but at the temps you're talking about and assuming they aren't butt to butt like some millennial twerking party, the ambient probe in the RT should keep things chugging along at a consistent temp and your cook time should be predictable.

I've done that many on my bull and the cook time was just about the same as if I had 2 butts on smoker. You should be fine with your plan and dinner will be on time.

I agree with all who said the time should about the same (give or take hot/not-as-hot spots. However, I think the increased mass will cause you to use a good bit more pellets. Be sure you don’t run dry.

Adding on to @AlphaPapa advice - how about make sure you start off with an empty grease catch. Sure it sounds obvious, but I said it anyway.
Good advice. I was worried about that as well. I’m planning on checking about midnight to see how full the container gets. Already cleaned everything up. Ash, grease trap…. Good to go. Getting ready to start my cook. Thanks all for the advice. Appreciate it. I’ll post up tomorrow when it’s finished.

Pulled 3 off after 13 hours. The rest came off after about 18-19. Turned out great. Definitely made too much, but I’d rather have too much food than not enough.

D789190E-37D3-451C-935A-5B3BCB3DCFEB.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back