So did I make a bad decision ?

Sbuchanan813

New here and seems I joined at a horrible time as there seem to be a lot of fellow smokers upset with recteq. Just purchased the flagship and had been looking to replace my pit barrel cooker for years. I always got drawn back to recteq and saved up to purchase. From reading tons of posts this last week it seems there is an overwhelming amount of hate against the company now. For price point, build quality, and features I couldn’t find a better smoker so I’m flabbergasted at how much hate there is here. Did I make a mistake?

New here and seems I joined at a horrible time as there seem to be a lot of fellow smokers upset with recteq. Just purchased the flagship and had been looking to replace my pit barrel cooker for years. I always got drawn back to recteq and saved up to purchase. From reading tons of posts this last week it seems there is an overwhelming amount of hate against the company now. For price point, build quality, and features I couldn’t find a better smoker so I’m flabbergasted at how much hate there is here. Did I make a mistake?
Nope!
Enjoy your new grill.

First, welcome to the forum, @Sbuchanan813; glad to have you here.

And, sadly, there has been a lot of negativity here of late; mostly from folks upset that they now have to actually push the start button on their grill rather than start it remotely from their phone. If technology is your thing, then you may be disappointed.

OTOH, if you are interested in actually cooking on your grill, I think you’ll be fine. Yes, Recteq has had a few quality hiccups in the past couple of years (basically, since being acquired by an equity capital outfit), but for the most part those issues are being dealt with in a responsible way.

Your recognition of “price point” is astute. Are there better pellet grills? I think so, but not at this price point. I’ve had my eye on a different brand for a while, but its price point is double that of Recteq for about the same size grill. You get what you pay for.

Bottom line: I think you’ll do fine with your new Flagship as long as you accept the “price point” limitations. If you have mechanical issues with your grill, I’m pretty sure Recteq will take care of you. And, I think there’s a very good chance that you won’t experience any significant problems that can’t be rectified by a post here on the forum or a call to Recteq customer service.

There is a learning curve with pellet grills and a lot of experienced folks here will to walk with you in getting you up to speed. Just tune out the gripes based from those obsessed with technology and you’ll be fine—unless, technology is your main interest. :rolleyes: Good luck.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @Sbuchanan813 . You bought a great grill.
There is always a lot of complaining in online forums. Heated issues come and go but few members seem to walk away from their Recteq despite all the threats to do so. Some have but most don’t. These are good quality grills and will produce excellent BBQ. Few people come on here to praise what they have but show up in a second to complain about something not working. Not knocking anyone in particular just pointing out online human nature, myself included.
My suggestion is to load up some pellets, season some meat and get to smoking. I think you are going to like what you got.

Welcome to the forum, this is where folks go to complain when things aren’t exactly how they want them, valid or not. Not a lot of people hunt down forums to say how well it’s going. You should have seen the Weber forum when the Smokefire first came out.

4 years now and I’m fine with or without remote start. I bought it so I don’t have to get up thru the night.

Give it a year and see what you think.

Last edited:
No, absolutely not.

There are always going to be people not happy about something. That's not to discredit anyone's opinion, but people tend to be far more vocal about their dislikes than they are their praises. Just the way it is.

Enjoy the new cooker and be sure to let us know your thoughts once you've got a few cooks with it under your belt.

The grills are great-- so your going to love yours... Everyone was mad cause RT turned off a feature that a LOT of us really liked --- the remote start.... But the work around seems to work just as well if not better (smartlife app)... So things have toned down... EnJoy your new toy..

The grills are great-- so your going to love yours... Everyone was mad cause RT turned off a feature that a LOT of us really liked --- the remote start.... But the work around seems to work just as well if not better (smartlife app)... So things have toned down... EnJoy your new toy..
Actually not everyone was mad that recteq turned off remote start. I wouldn’t knock anyone that liked remote start, but for me it means I don’t have to unplug my grills because I didn’t like the fact that they could turn on accidentally.

https://bbqhost.com/best-pellet-grills/

I know how good the 590 overall is and has been for most owners, and this review just solidifies that. However, I am extremely impressed with some of the other makes/models out there as well and some which have been omitted in this review, so anyone who is disenchanted with Recteq.......there are some great options out there. ;)

This would be my next choice by the way and wasn't listed in this review, however I have watched other reviews praise it tremendously. https://www.grillagrills.com/category/silverbac-at

Last edited:
https://bbqhost.com/best-pellet-grills/

I know how good the 590 overall is and has been for most owners, and this review just solidifies that. However, I am extremely impressed with some of the other makes/models out there as well, so anyone who is disenchanted with Recteq.......there are some great options out there. ;)
Does this include the FJB edition :unsure:

My opinion, ReqTeq is very high quality

The company has always provided me over the top support.
I presently own a 590 and I’m quite happy.
I’ve been burning “Cookin pellets perfect mix”

All good by me!

Last edited:
I don’t think you made a mistake at all unless you are not using it. Make it smoke, oh wait, that is a different device. Crank it up and start cooking and I think you will be pleased.

I don’t think you made a mistake at all unless you are not using it. Make it smoke, oh wait, that is a different device. Crank it up and start cooking and I think you will be pleased.
The original smoke tube.
Smoke Weed GIF

Last edited:
As many others have said, for the price point it punches above it's weight.
Also, for the sizes available, most other brands that have anything remotely close cost twice as much.
It's a solid mid-tier (cost and value) Pellet smoker that will produce outstanding results in food.

Yes... you made a mistake!! Sorry!!

Welcome! I have been with Recteq for six years now and have watched them grow exponentially. I'm up to three Recteq grills now. You couldn't have joined at a better time. The new grills are much improved now. Not that they were bad before. Just more finely tuned you might say now, and a lot more to choose from. There has not been much to complain about, so the new remote start mandate gives some a green light to complain now. I never used the remote start feature myself. It's just too unsafe to do so. One should always monitor their cooking appliances while in use and afterwards to insure all is well is my opinion. Learn your new grill and I am certain you will look forward to firing it up each time for years to come like I do. Recteq grills are awesome grills.

Welcome to the Forum and the RecTec Family
Yeah, a lot of owner got all spun-out when RecTeq turned-off the "Remote Start" feature
Not sure if it's fact; but it sounds as it that is now an industry wide move
Most, if not all Maker have deleted it from their Apps too
All these legal types seem to get their Talking Points from the same source and run with them
I'm betting you'll enjoy your Flagship as much as we enjoy our Bull
Here I am, sitting inside my warm house typing this, with a Brisket Flat (wrapped after 9 hour) out in the Bulls ..... and after a full nights sleep
I could never do that with my Stick Burner
Don't worry about the negativity unless you experience it too

I also purchased a flagship 6 months ago - the shelf was damaged on shipment and one call and Recteq took care of it right away. The staff has always been very responsive to my questions. I have been extremely happy with my purchase and the performance of the 1100. Folks are currently unhappy due to the removal of the remote start feature - you have all other capability. To me personally this is a no issue. My grills are just steps away from my den and kitchen on the back patio. Taking a few steps is not a big deal for me as 99.99% of the time I have prep the meat, go out remove cover and get my grill ready, place foil over drip pan, check pellet quantity etc. So pressing one power button that takes 1/10 of a second in the overall process is not a big deal …. for me anyway. The grill comes up to temp in minutes so I don’t care that I could have started 10 minutes earlier from the supermarket. And if it prevents an accidental butt dial remote start, then even better. You got a great grill - happy smoking. You can count on the experienced members of this forum (as I do) to provide advise on any issue related to your grill or your cooking method.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back