Bull Suffering from head up my pork butt

Lawman

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Ok. I usually do long smokes on the weekend. Well I have family coming in from out of town tomorrow around lunch time. So I brined a butt last night. This afternoon I had a bunch of stuff going on at work and rushed home for lunch 3pm to get meat on the pit. I take it out of the brine, inject it and get the pit heating up. About that time more crap kicks off at work. So I grab the butt, put it on the 700 and away to work i go. 6 hrs later. (Now) I get home and check on the meat. I notice it is much lighter in color than other I've done. Then I finally pull my head out of my @$$ and realize I never put rub on the meat!!!! Ugh!
So am I screwed or is it worth putting rub on it now? Did I mention that I feel really stupid right now. Over 25 years smoking and I have never done this before.. 😕

I’m not sure how it will turn out but it seems like you won’t get the good bark that you would normally hope for. That said I would finish the cook and when you pull it you can add rub and sauce to get decent flavor along with the brine and injection.

Not the cook you wanted but I bet you can still save decent tasting pork. It will still shred and the internal fat will still give it good juicy flavor.

Good luck, I hope it turns out Ok for you.

Ok. I usually do long smokes on the weekend. Well I have family coming in from out of town tomorrow around lunch time. So I brined a butt last night. This afternoon I had a bunch of stuff going on at work and rushed home for lunch 3pm to get meat on the pit. I take it out of the brine, inject it and get the pit heating up. About that time more crap kicks off at work. So I grab the butt, put it on the 700 and away to work i go. 6 hrs later. (Now) I get home and check on the meat. I notice it is much lighter in color than other I've done. Then I finally pull my head out of my @$$ and realize I never put rub on the meat!!!! Ugh!
So am I screwed or is it worth putting rub on it now? Did I mention that I feel really stupid right now. Over 25 years smoking and I have never done this before.. 😕
No worries. Add the rub when you pull it. I smoke nekkid all the time. It’s totally fine.

Your in good shape, no worries. The truth is I don't use rubs because I think they give an off flavor. I tried forever to like them then gave up. Most of my family members have already bribed me for my recipe. Brined, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard and mollasses coating with.

Thanks everyone! It actually turned out really good. The brining gave it plenty of moisture. I took yalls advice and add some of the rub after pulling and it worked out well. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20200815_093732.jpg
    20200815_093732.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 84

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rmiz64
Back